gti bootlids, are they aluminium ?

jr

I think the 3l one was magnesium or something daft

I htink I read that even the above was only true of the early 3Ls as there were corrosion problems and they moved to a steel boot lid. I may be wrong though.

3L boot is, however, a different shape, but that may just have been the alloy one.

As far as i know the early 3l had a magnesium alloy boot but they went over to using the standard one. Too little weight at the

back was causing stability problems. The alloy boot was a diffrerent shape also it was slightly extended at the top. Obviously that

was to give it a sligt kammback to reduce the aero wake that causes a lot of drag.

I htink I read that even the above was only true of the early 3Ls as there were corrosion problems and they moved to a steel boot lid. I may be wrong though.

3L boot is, however, a different shape, but that may just have been the alloy one.

My reliable parts guy says the same. The list price of the mag ones is horrific though!!

I htink I read that even the above was only true of the early 3Ls as there were corrosion problems and they moved to a steel boot lid.

Nah, I think they stopped it more as a result of the incredibly bright white/purple light you got when someone accidentally put a flame to it! lol

The engine is also magnesium alloy but its all good. In a 3l you will be driving so eco that any crash will be like slow motion and

never cause a problem :lol:

My science teacher took great plesure telling us about race cars that had magnesium wheels that burst into bright flames. Odd chap.

He always loved it when things whent wrong. He was in heven when they installed smoke detectors in the lab. Every lesson we were

burning magnesium or doing some other experiment to set off the alarms as directed by him haha.

I dont think the alloy mix used in the automotive world would actually give you much of an interesting result if you tried to burn it

shame really as it would make rubber necking far more interesting.

This book covers quite a bit about magneisum and car use / design, although it looks interesting i have not read much yet :lol:

click

I believe 3Ls had magnesium tailgates until the end of MY01.

The high level brake light is mounted behind the glass in the tailgate, rather than in the tailgate frame. I find that the easiest way to spot them.

I read somewhere that the bare magnesium/aluminium tailgate weighs 2.7kg, a saving of 4.5kg according to VW.