Component speakers

Hi everyone, I was looking around for component speakers and came accross 2 that kind of caught my eye. Pioneer TS-C171PRS and JL AUDIO C5-650. If anyone has heard any positive or negative things about these speakers or know any better ones for arround the same price please let me know. thank you

I've used both the TS-C171PRS and the JL C5's before now and they are both an excelent choice.

The pioneers give a nice crisp sound but can be a little too bright at loud volumes, where in my opinion, the JL's were that little bit softer on the trebble.

However If you were going for all round sound quality, I would probably recommend focal as their more recent products have been better all round than a lot of the competitors.

The 165VR'sCome in at a nice price, only £230!

I personally have a set of the Focal 165KR's and I find them to be absolutely mind blowing when coupled with my Genesis profile2 amp!

I can't remember the last time I listened to music in the car with the sub connected! :)

I've used both the TS-C171PRS and the JL C5's before now and they are both an excelent choice.

The pioneers give a nice crisp sound but can be a little too bright at loud volumes, where in my opinion, the JL's were that little bit softer on the trebble.

However If you were going for all round sound quality, I would probably recommend focal as their more recent products have been better all round than a lot of the competitors.

The 165VR'sCome in at a nice price, only £230!

I personally have a set of the Focal 165KR's and I find them to be absolutely mind blowing when coupled with my Genesis profile2 amp!

I can't remember the last time I listened to music in the car with the sub connected! :)

I find my 165KRs to be pretty poor on the bass - Less than the 13cm DLS R5A's that they replaced, but I suppose It could be down to how I've fitted them. They sound great up top, but the lows are just not there. You can see the cone moving, but you hear nooothing. They are in autoleads plastic spacers, but it's all sealed and sound deadened. odd. They are running direct from the H/U, but so were the DLS R5As.

Edited by cobblers

Thanks, and how would the sound quality differ if I just ran components off my head unit. and aproximately how much would it be to get glassfibre tweeter holders, so they could be placed in the original tweeter place as my side mirrors are manual. thanks

I find my 165KRs to be pretty poor on the bass - Less than the 13cm DLS R5A's that they replaced, but I suppose It could be down to how I've fitted them. They sound great up top, but the lows are just not there. You can see the cone moving, but you hear nooothing. They are in autoleads plastic spacers, but it's all sealed and sound deadened. odd. They are running direct from the H/U, but so were the DLS R5As.

Really? If you could see the cone moving but hear no bass then chances are somewhere down the line you've got the polarity wrong! I suppose it could well be down to the mounting. I've only used the KR's in my Bora and they are pretty amazing! But then the 4 door Golf Mk4 / Bora has been hailed to have the best doors out there for use with speakers!

I had DLS mids in my Lupo but ended up getting rid of the tweeters as I wanted a stealth install and they were just too big! Ended up using a set of "Infinity Perfect" tweeters.

I've been impressed by some of the Hertz sub's and monoblocks coupled together, However on demo of a set of their Hi Energy components, I wasn't really that impressed. They seemed the mid seemed over powering toward the treble. Not something you normally get with components of any quality? :S

I've had my hands on some Hertz coaxials, and sort of along the lines of what nbfghnnfr says, the mid was very overpowering. I wouldn't say the tweeter was "quiet", but the midrange had a massive hump - I added them to my "list of speaker brands I'd never buy" list from that experience. Maybe without sufficient experience, but there are brands that consistently make good stuff so you can buy without taking a gamble!

DLS - Look crap, but sound great! I've got a set on my parcel shelf because they look so plain, the average pikey won't steal them.

Saying that, I'm in my office listening to a pair of Focal 6x9s powered by an amp I made myself and they sound absolutely wonderful, even off 8 watts each!