worn brake pads?

ermmurray

i have noticed a horrible scratching noise when i brake and have done some Google-ing to find out that my brake pads are worn...

i have my service in a few days so i will get them done then...

what i want to know is..

1) how much should it cost for the replacement of all the brake pads?

and 2) there is an ever so small groove that has been etched into the disc.. will that need replacing? if so how much do they cost? (alot i know..)

cheers in advance.

Ed.

here are some pics of it..

(bottom one shows the scratch the clearest)

_MG_8840p1.jpg

_MG_8841p1.jpg

_MG_8842p1.jpg

_MG_8845p1.jpg

They are well below the minimum safety limit......The pad backing it actually rubbing on the disc.

Your discs look quite worn too as they appear to have about a 2mm lip on them, which is about 4mm in total reduction on the width of the disc which also weakens them.

Pads vary in price and so do discs depending on the type you are after...........I would say replace both but get the parts from GSF or Euro Carparts and do it yourself if competent.

Just did my otherhalfs clio discs and pads for a total of £40 for ATE item

I get my brakes done at Kwik Fit.

Once pads or shoes are fitted they have a replace for life policy if anything is wrong I take the car in and they do the work for free.

30K mile for a pair of discs is about right to me (depend on how you drive BUT average per year is 12K miles.....mine are turning 30K and need replacing soon)

Your discs and pads are worn.........there should only be a very light lip on the disc edge (about 1mm either side) anymore and you start to weaken them and the pads about 3 to 4mm min.

Your disc lip has also been ground down by the pad back plate!

As mentioned.......I would change it all and Kwik Fit is not exactly a great garage in my eyes but each to their own.

YOUR CHOICE! Either way I would not be driving that car until you can sort the brakes out ASAP!

I get my brakes done at Kwik Fit.

Once pads or shoes are fitted they have a replace for life policy if anything is wrong I take the car in and they do the work for free.

Yes, but they charge you over the top prices to start with, and guess what.. they class worn discs as damage and will charge you for those ;)

I know Kwik Fit aren't the best but I'm a the only driver in the family so don't have a clue where to start when it comes to important life and death things like that - oil changes and the like were about my limit :D

My brakes were changed about 2 years ago under the waranty thing but now I live with a very capable bloke so all new work is directed through him!

But reading through the posts, 30K in 1 year is quite heavy on milage so you can assume that work that would normally last us a couple of years would come round quicker if you put in the miles

In my old work van (Renault Clio) I went through 3 sets of disks and pads in 30,000 miles!

Due to unrealistic service schedules on work vans which are on the road all the time I cost the company rather a lot in parts!

All the pads had a hell of a lot less metal left on them than the ones you have there and at one point I had worn part of the piston away too as the pad had completely worn through and I needed a new caliper too!

Ooops!! :lol:

Thats just what 'they' told you ;)

OK, ignore what you think you know about brake pads and discs.

Abspestos is no longer able to be used in friction material, as someone somewhere once thought it was bad for a mechanic/Kwikfit fitter to be breathing the dust in when blowing out brake drums.

So now the material is much harder and doesn't wear as it should.

What you now find is that the discs can wear before the brake pads, my Lupo for instance had new discs at 6,000 miles (for free after the arguement!) when the pads were only 60% worn.

30k miles is about right.

i had my brakes done the other day... 255 of my Great British Pounds :( i had let it get so bad that the discs were badly damaged and had to get new ones.. if i had got new pads before it got too bad it would have been £60...

this is almost as depressing as the time i bought my fox.. my previous car conformed to the gov' scrappage deal, i bought the fox about 6 months before they introduced the deal :(:( i could have saved £2000!!!

this is almost as depressing as the time i bought my fox.. my previous car conformed to the gov' scrappage deal, i bought the fox about 6 months before they introduced the deal :(:( i could have saved £2000!!!

Is that why you're looking for a Lupo?

Is that why you're looking for a Lupo?

na i want a lupo coz i dont really wanna mod my fox as its on finance and warranty etc..

also 1.2 is not great.. especially after having a 1.4 polo (auto.. SO fun!) for courtesy.. i know 1.2 and 1.4 arent a big difference but i would like something with a bit more power..