House renovation pics.

Tigz™

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent work Andi, I bet you are (rightly) proud of your efforts. The work shown looks very nice, I bet Emma loves the place after having it work in progress for so long. Doing similar myself on our house and it takes so long to do what often seem small jobs, worth it in the end though.

You still seem to get plenty of time to work on the cars though so you must work (a) fast, (B) a lot of hours each day, © (a) and (B). I do not get half as much time on the car as I used to when building the Lupo..though I lived with parents and was not married back then.

Grouting the slate is a sod. I think I sealed our splash backs first, grouted, buffed it off the tiles then used brick acid after to get it out of the nooks and crannies.

Oh, and 10 cool points for making the shower base.

Yeah, thankfully I didn't do any of it lol

Her Dad had a brain wave in the bathroom and filled an olf sealer tube with rouat and 'sqeezed' it into the gaps to avoid getting grout everywhere.

In the kitchen he didn't and ended up with swollen fingers due to the amount of grit in the flexable grout we used.

I just used tile cleaner to get to the excess off, but trying to get the dust off... how annoying can you get!

How easy is the slate to clean? Are you putting a splashback behind the hobs?

Once all the tiles are clean, you leave them a week and then seal them with tile sealer.

On the kitchen wall, and the slate wall inside the shower I am going to give them a couple of coats of clear varnish as well.

Only thing is with varnish, once you have done it you have to keep on doing it at least once a year.

The bathroom and kitchen floor will just be sealed once a year though :)

Not going to add a splash back, usage/age just adds to the look :)

Excellent work Andi, I bet you are (rightly) proud of your efforts. The work shown looks very nice, I bet Emma loves the place after having it work in progress for so long. Doing similar myself on our house and it takes so long to do what often seem small jobs, worth it in the end though.

You still seem to get plenty of time to work on the cars though so you must work (a) fast, ( B) a lot of hours each day, © (a) and ( B) . I do not get half as much time on the car as I used to when building the Lupo..though I lived with parents and was not married back then.

The car is getting wrapped in bubble wrap and going into the back of our lock up :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

The living room.

Desicded to pull off the plaster around the chmney and found some lovely features so descided to open it up to give a nice big open fire.

Will get some better pics once I can find the charger for my camera lol

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

The back room used to be the kitchen, got a really nice Oak table and chairs for in there, thinking about putting the iMac in there as well :)

Took all the plaster off, and found that the back wall used to be an outhouse so wasn't brilliant so we have cement rendered it to help tie it all together, built a timber false wall to cover the pipes, this will be tiled with the slate tiles I've used in the bathroom.

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_6167.jpg

IMG_6168.jpg

IMG_6169.jpg

IMG_6170.jpg

IMG_6171.jpg

IMG_6172.jpg

IMG_6173.jpg

IMG_6174.jpg

Its the same type of house as mine, there is very little wasted space.

Both floors have high ceilings, not much space in the loft except in the smallest bedroom, I'll show you pics of that as Im opening it up for the little one.

Charged up my camera now I've finally found the lead.

Couple of pics of the fireplace from before, and some pics of the new kitchen floor.

IMG_6178.jpg

IMG_6179.jpg

IMG_6187.jpg

IMG_6182.jpg

• 2 weeks later...