Scrappage Deal Stopped!?

Noonoo

Was having a look round the forecourt of Gilders in Sheffield and was talking to a couple who was looking to scrap an R reg BMW for a Fox.

The dealer was showing them an 06 plate but when the bloke asked if they could arrange to scrappage against one they said that the deal was so close to finishing that they weren't taking orders on 59 plate Fox as they couldn't guarantee the stock coming within time.

He seemed to be pushing them toward the Polo as they said the wait time was less but as the bloke said - if I had an extra 2K to spend then I wouldn't be looking for scrappage benefit!!!

I haven't heard anything about it coming to an end, has anyone else?

Edited by Noonoo

There was only a set amount of money put away by the government for the scrappage scheme, so i guess that is coming to an end now.

About time too, some really nice cars being lost for the sake of owners buying a new Korean shoebox. :huh:

The prices of all cars are going up in September as wee have to pay a premium over Europe which for a few months we have not.

Glad to see the back of the scrappage "scam" as I am thinking of changing my car and could not get a deal for love nore money as "the scrappage was putting demand on new cars so you can't have one until january as we can't get the stock".

The limit is as above, 28th February 2010, or £3million.

As of about a week ago £1.5million has been used.

Mark

This is what I was told by a VW dealer however nobody knows what this scheme has cost to administer or how many cars are in the pipeline with scrapage funds already committed or spoken for. The dealer guessed it would run out well before this year ended.

As for prices, due to exchange rates we are one of the cheapest places to buy in Europe. It won't last I fear.