Disklok Steering Lock

Noonoo

I want to get a wheel lock, I've got a handbrake lock for my Polo at the minute but it cuts into the plastic/leather gear stick cover and don't want that for the Fox.

I need to know what the diameter is of the steering wheel.

I thought it felt quite small when we test drove and the lock comes in 3 sizes. The small fit 35 - 39cms is this ok?

Could anyone check before I shell out a small fortune or let me know if they use any different?

I want to get a wheel lock, I've got a handbrake lock for my Polo at the minute but it cuts into the plastic/leather gear stick cover and don't want that for the Fox.

I need to know what the diameter is of the steering wheel.

I thought it felt quite small when we test drove and the lock comes in 3 sizes. The small fit 35 - 39cms is this ok?

Could anyone check before I shell out a small fortune or let me know if they use any different?

Hi,

Firstly, imho the more you can do to encourage the casual car thief / joyrider to steal the car NEXT to yours ... the better!!

It is largely true that a serious thief would know what electronic gadgets are on what car & act accordingly, but most car thieves are opportunist, high on something or TWOC'ers, and they will have jemmied the door or broken the glass before finding that they cant start your Pride & Joy !!

Thus a GOOD mechanical deterrent is defo worthwhile!!

"GOOD" = Thatcham or Sold Secure approved.

Thatcham / Sold Secure Approved means that a Professional Car Thief would take a couple of mins to get the lock off your steering wheel ... & apparently a couple of mins ( & the ensueing noise!!) is a long time for a pro ( see 'Gone in 60 seconds' ... )

The Disk Lok would take a Pro armed with a Grinder & hammer etc about 8 mins ( & lots of noise!) the first time & about 5 mins once he has found the weakest link !!

YES i spoke to the guy that did 2 tests on Mech Sec for Auto Express Magazine years ago!!

In conclusion, if you judge your car to be 'desirable' to Low Life OR if you regularly have to leave the car in a Less Than Desirable location , then a Disk Lok is a great investment for Peace Of Mind!!

£ 90 or so in Halfords ... but if you are able to shop in Costco, they usually do them for £50 or so !!

As a budget alternative, anything Thatcham or Sold Secure Approved is going to help put off the thieves ... but bear in mind that the Stoplock style which goes diagonally over the centre of the steering wheel is often tight & will often 'beep' the horn accidentally !!

Oh & most cars will accept the Small size Disk Lok ... see their website on http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/products.html where you can check on fitments ... and I have just found that you can buy one for £65 delivered too !!!!!

I hope that the above is of use ... and if a Mod wishes to move this to somewhere more relevant ... feel free!

it wont toot the horn on an ofx as the horn doesnt work until the ignition is on..., waste of time really, if your car is immobilised a smost modern cars are then if the theif is clever enough to start it then he WILL steall the car deterrent or not

Valid point re horn / ign!

With respect, however, i was pointing out that the damage is already done by the time the thief has entered the car !!

I was also pointing out that pro car thieves are not the main problem ... a wayward 14 year old will see the physical barrier & will hopefully not bother to damage your car!!

They are marketed as 'deterrents' ... and even when the red mist descends due to drink / drugs, a big yellow obvious chunk of metal between said 14 yr old & the steering wheel should be enough to send them looking for an easier TWOC!

Conversely, a Good car thief should be able to get around a mechanical device AND the electronic devices ... however i doubt they would use their skills on a relatively cheap everyday car ... now if this were the Ferrari forum i might be in a different mindset!!!( Paranoia!!)

it wont toot the horn on an ofx as the horn doesnt work until the ignition is on..., waste of time really, if your car is immobilised a smost modern cars are then if the theif is clever enough to start it then he WILL steall the car deterrent or not

Conversely, a Good car thief should be able to get around a mechanical device AND the electronic devices ... however i doubt they would use their skills on a relatively cheap everyday car ... now if this were the Ferrari forum i might be in a different mindset!!!( Paranoia!!)

Cars arent hot wired any more - they steal the keys and simply drive off

doesn't the disklok stop them from moving the steering wheel if they get in or not :huh:

It would, for the 30 secs it would take to get off. Plus if they stole your car keys, they would have the key for it anyway

yeah granted with the keys they can take any car

what I want is the visual deterrant and it would take more than 5 minutes to get that off with an angle grinder - would you bother?

The vast majority of vehicle break ins are to steal from the vehicle, not tha actual vehicle itself. Personally, I think its a waste of money, get a stereo with a removable fascia, and dont leave anything on show in the car - wipe off any satnav sucker marks from the windscreen and you will be fine

i got one of these after i had my first mini nicked, it adds peace of mind more than anything, but also a good visual detterent. i paid about 50 quid for mine, well worth it in my opinion! had no more bother with my second mini for a year and a bit with one of these on. put it on my lupo religiously aswell.

Mechanical security like this is pointless on a new car like a fox - They are immobilised VERY well from the factory. so unless the thieves have the keys, they have no chance of starting it at all, and they all know this so won't touch it unless you leave a satnav on the seat or something.