Where is the heater resistor located ?

kmurphy

• 2 months later...

Just in relation to my above question, i didnt get any feedback from this of where the above resistor was located, i done a quick search under the dash and located it simply in the passenger footwell, up in the corner under the lower pocket, simply above the small cover thats under their. its held on by two small bolts and their is a connection going in. I took off the resistor and noticed it rusty and cracked, meaning that was the reason my heater would not work on number 1 - 3 . I purchased another resistor pack on ebay, it was off a VW Polo 2001, but it had the same part number as the Lupo, it fitted straight on. simple job, took 10 mins. Hope this helps others who have the same problem of the heater fan not working on number 1 - 3. The part cost 12 pound, buy second hand. The part number is 1J0 819 022 A.

• Like 3

Just in relation to my above question, i didnt get any feedback from this of where the above resistor was located, i done a quick search under the dash and located it simply in the passenger footwell, up in the corner under the lower pocket, simply above the small cover thats under their. its held on by two small bolts and their is a connection going in. I took off the resistor and noticed it rusty and cracked, meaning that was the reason my heater would not work on number 1 - 3 . I purchased another resistor pack on ebay, it was off a VW Polo 2001, but it had the same part number as the Lupo, it fitted straight on. simple job, took 10 mins. Hope this helps others who have the same problem of the heater fan not working on number 1 - 3. The part cost 12 pound, buy second hand. The part number is 1J0 819 022 A.

hi, not realy to do with this topic but could you post a pic of the panel under the dash in the passenger foot well please, as mine is missing and i may have sourced one but im not sure what it looks like so if you could post a pic i could forward it to the guy who might have one.

cheers, billy

• 1 month later...

Still can't locate the resistor,Are the bolts torx bolts,if so what size.

I can find a soft cover in the footwell then a plastic cover that goes up to the small storage shelf in front of the passenger seat. Is it this part that needs to be removed.

Even if the controls are replaced they would not work as the resistor gets surface rust and corrodes very easily due to water ingress and condensation and because of the way the resistor is located, its a common problem and alot easier to replace that the controls, the resistor itself is not too expensive from a second hand car that doesn't have much corrosion, but a new one is around £50.00 from VW.

Hope this helps.

I would do, but don't have the car anymore im afraid!! :( Its a rectangular piece of plastic about 6 inches long and 4 inches wide and is held on by 2 torques screws and is in the passenger footwell, quite high up in there so you might need to root around a bit more!!! :)

Cheers, James.

Edited by s2000king

I would do, but don't have the car anymore im afraid!! :( Its a rectangular piece of plastic about 6 inches long and 4 inches wide and is held on by 2 torques screws and is in the passenger footwell, quite high up in there so you might need to root around a bit more!!! :)

Cheers, James.

Thanks,the search will continue!

Found!

It's easy when you know that there is a "softcover" over the part.

Remove the black plastic screw and voila! there it is,two bolts to remove. The clip in connector when disconnected lets you access the second bolt.

The resistor contacts were pretty rusty.

I have given the resistor a liberal coating of ACF-50 but i guess it's too far gone.

I will post if it suddenly starts working. Meanwhile i will try a breakers for a replacement otherwise the cheapest option i can find is around £44.00. :shades:;):rolleyes:

Low cost replacement found for £16.49 on Ebay.

Edited by Luna