Cup Holders - ...Rattle...Rattle...Rattle...

bossjohnc

Someone - (I think Twisty) mentioned I should make sure my cup holders were screwed on before taking the lup from the dealer. I wiggled them every way I could think of, and they seemed fine to start with, but now they rattle.

I don't have a single other squeak or rattle in the car, and this one seems annoyingly loud. It dissapears completely when I put my hand right at the back of the cup holder 'bolt on' thing. I can't see any screws back there - I suppose putting a bit of `blu-tak` or stuffing a bit of paper in the small gap would stop it, but I like to do these things properly!

Any pointers?

Nah, have looked, and the screws are deffinately there, and in tight. It just seems like the back of the assembly isn't fixed to the main console in any way, and rattles.

I guess a dab of some sort of sealant might do the trick. I'll try with the `blu-tack` first though!

Had same problem. 2 screws under front part of cup holder tray and then 2 plastic hooks that just slide in at the rear once the screws are out.

Remove cup holder tray and put some sound deadening between it and the underside of the dash. Then refit and the rattle should have gone.

Problem is the clips holding the cup holder tray dont hold the cup holders tight to the dash so they rattle. By putting some sound deadening in the gap between the cup holders and the dash both parts fit tight and cannot rattle.

Had a go at removing the cup tray today - found out you need an allen key! Didn't have one handy, so I've put some blue tak right at the back for now - looks a little untidy, buy stops the noise for the moment. Might get the allen key out tomorrow and make it look decent.