Passat W8 Interior Light

It has been done yes.

Where?? Who??

Been looking on eBay.de, looks easier to get one from a UK dealer, paint it black(to match a GTI trim) and make up a conversion lead, would just need a supply from the light switch for the LED's.

Only worry is.... Too big for a Lupo.

You could just get blue bulbs off ebay for about £2 or something silly and fit those in replacement of your normal bulbs. Easier, cheaper and 99% of people don't even know what a Passat W8 interior light is anyway?

Or is there another reason why you want one, besides it's blueness? I may have missed the point completely (I'm good at that).

LOL

yes, I already have a LED blue bulb.

Infact the W8 light doesn't come with blue bulbs anyway.

People like them cause they have 2 little red led mood lights, which iluminate the console, and can be dimmed on the dimmer switch.

I did ask this a while back, I think AwesomeAl took a look but like you decided that the Passat lamp would not fit without modifying the headlining. I think that MikeM has added ambient lighting to his GTI.

I did ask this a while back, I think AwesomeAl took a look but like you decided that the Passat lamp would not fit without modifying the headlining. I think that MikeM has added ambient lighting to his GTI.

Yep... I think the headlining would need cutting out to the same size hole as a Golf/Passat :(

Not too much of a job I guess.

That was my conclusion too, I have been tempted to look at mimicking the New Beetle Cabriolet and mounting abient lighting under the cupholder.

You also need to modify the wiring loom to suit the W8 Light as well.

yep, I was going to add an adaptor lead, so I didn't have to cut the Lupo loom(which looks the same as a Golf)

yep, I was going to add an adaptor lead, so I didn't have to cut the Lupo loom(which looks the same as a Golf)

The adaptor lead is just a 4 pin plug with 4 bare wires sticking out of the end. Every single golf with one of these w8 interior lights on has had the wiring chopped.

It's a simple as hell wiring job. Just a couple of snips and a couple of joins :)

The adaptor lead is just a 4 pin plug with 4 bare wires sticking out of the end. Every single golf with one of these w8 interior lights on has had the wiring chopped.

It's a simple as hell wiring job. Just a couple of snips and a couple of joins :)

I've found these part numbers to make a led, so the Lupo loom doesn't have to be cut(assuming the Lupo plug is the same as the Golf plug... Looks the same)

3B7 947 105F 2EN - W8 Light no sunroof, grey x1

000 979 103 - Contacts x 2

893 971 993 - Housing x 1

3B0 972 706 - Plug - plastic x 1

000 979 131A - Terminal pin - steel x 2

I love the way some people have fitted them in Golfs using nothing bore than bare wires or insulation tape.

Ah cool. But a bit of a waste of money. If you are going to be chopping away your roof lining, may aswel solder them and use a bit of heat shrink!

Found this on cupranet: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108893

Edited by nfbr

• 4 weeks later...

Well I did it... Defo not a direct fit... The headlining needs cutting, and the insulation above needs cutting out. The plug on the Lupo loom needs changing for the W8 plug, and the adaptor lead I linked to doesn't fit. A side light feed needs running from the light switch to the interior light to work the 2 ambient LED's.

Not avaliable in black, so I took it all apart and painted it matt black.

DSCN2865.jpg

Fitted.

DSCN2870.jpg

Changed to 501 'xexon style LED's, you can also see the Red mood lights.

DSCN2972.jpg

In those microphone holes next to the leds, is there a microphone included with the plafonnier?

Yes... They are microphone holes... I think the Passat might have had a built in handsfree kit.