did anyone buy a lupo new?

ermmurray

My parents bought a 1.0 New in 2004. They never had any problems with it at all except for the rear wiper spray wash nozzle thing stopped working about a year after they bought it. Simple to fix though, and under warranty. Like Promark points out though, you did pay a price premium for the Lupo whereas the Fox is much more competetively priced for its market.

i think if things are gonna go wrong they will in the first 10000 miles or so... ive had my fox from new and have done 28000 ((july)08 plate..) and heres a list of faults..

front nearside tweeter blown - replaced on warranty

nearside sidelight - replaced on warranty

electric window not working properly - replaced on warranty

boot popper lock out of sync with central locking - replaced on warranty

rear wiper not spraying - replaced on warranty

offside headlight and nearside sidelight with

condensation in lamp - replaced on warranty

that was all in the 1st 15000 miles (apart from one of the bulbs)

i'm just wondering if things go wrong now, its alright as i have the warranty, but after the 3 years.. are things gonna keep going wrong?? should i keep or should i sell?

I brought mine new in 2001 from VW dealer and I have never had any problems with it, might be that I have only just done 16000 and I have it serviced and MOT every year. I only use the car to go to work and back and occassionaly I have gone to shows and my brother took it to Edition 38 one year when his car was of the road. So may be that I do not do the miles for anything to have gone wrong yet, but in 8 years not done bad.

Oh my window did get stuck a couple of weeks ago but the spring had just popped out of the sitting and it was just a case of putting it back but no other problems

Edited by Luppie70

16000 miles in 8 years? :o Do you work next door to your house? :lol:

"Currently Driving: Manual Bike is in the shed now I have my Lupo back on the road"

Why was it off the road?

My mum had her sport from new. She had a black one for about a month, but we had so many problems we sent it back and they gave us another new one.

The second one has had a new horn and window switch, and thats all so far. My gf has it now, so I am waiting for the impending catastrophic gearbox, pedal box and valve seal failures!

I am waiting for the impending catastrophic gearbox, pedal box and valve seal failures!

Make sure the gearbox oil is changed, you won't have a problem with the 'box, make sure your fingers are crossed, you may not have a problem with the pedal box, make sure the car is serviced, you won't have a problem with the valves.

16000 miles in 8 years? :o Do you work next door to your house? :lol:

"Currently Driving: Manual Bike is in the shed now I have my Lupo back on the road"

Why was it off the road?

It was off the road cause I was. I suffer with epilepsy so every time I have a fit I have to hand my license back for 12 months hence low mileage.

i think if things are gonna go wrong they will in the first 10000 miles or so... ive had my fox from new and have done 28000 ((july)08 plate..) and heres a list of faults..

front nearside tweeter blown - replaced on warranty

nearside sidelight - replaced on warranty

electric window not working properly - replaced on warranty

boot popper lock out of sync with central locking - replaced on warranty

rear wiper not spraying - replaced on warranty

offside headlight and nearside sidelight with

condensation in lamp - replaced on warranty

that was all in the 1st 15000 miles (apart from one of the bulbs)

i'm just wondering if things go wrong now, its alright as i have the warranty, but after the 3 years.. are things gonna keep going wrong?? should i keep or should i sell?

and they make money from these cars? 0.o

It was off the road cause I was. I suffer with epilepsy so every time I have a fit I have to hand my license back for 12 months hence low mileage.

Ah. That sounds pap. :(

I have owned two Lupo's from new, our family has had four in total from new.

Of the four my first, a 2000 W plate 1.0e proved the most troublesome, the fuel filler door had to be replaced as it did not fit properly, the brake light switch was replaced (repeatedly) the gearbox broke, the engine developed a misfire after a service and never felt "right" again, the bump strip on the near side peeled off, the rev counter used to get stuck at 2000rpm and before I got my current one it refused to start the AA could not fathom the problem and cured it by disconnecting the battery and leaving it for a short while before reconnecting it. Having said that if I had any trouble I just took it to the dealer and by the end of the day the warranty saw the problem was put right.

The second Lupo our family owned was a 2001 51 plate TDI Sport, it only had one fault during the time we owned the car and that was a thermostat which again the warranty dealt with.

The final two Lupo's were bought in 2005 wearing 05 plates both Sports a TDI and a 16V of the two (perhaps predictably) the petrol model has had the most faults, the gearbox suffered a bearing failure, the drivers seat developed a squeak, the nearside speaker housing rattled, pedal box failed oh and a brake light switch failed (only one this time). Once again the dealer has ensured that if the car is off the road I suffer as little as possible either providing a courtsey vehicle or offering to drop me off somewhere. Despite the faults I still believe that the Lupo is a great car and struggle to see a suitable replacement.

My family has owned my Lupo now since new and the only problem ive had is a coolant temp sensor and a vacuum pipe, also had a brake light switch and both the doors have dropped the drivers door leaks now that it has dropped. Apart from that, nothing major **touch wood** not bad for 9 years and 57,000 miles!!!

Cheers, James.

My family has owned my Lupo now since new and the only problem ive had is a coolant temp sensor and a vacuum pipe, also had a brake light switch and both the doors have dropped the drivers door leaks now that it has dropped. Apart from that, nothing major **touch wood** not bad for 9 years and 57,000 miles!!!

Cheers, James.

The doors have dropped and leaking in 57K I'd say that was pretty major!

• 2 weeks later...
Had mine since new (01), no major problems and still running very well, a few electric windows problem but need to move the speakers a bit...

Just been Sweden and back in it...

ONE TANK from here to there!!

Mostly by boat though, I imagine Liwi? Impressive though all the same! I can get from East Sussex to Bordeaux with one tank.

RAB