clio 182

ArosaScotty

Focus RS shouldn't be losing out to a CTR. FRS's have regularly hit the ton in about 15-15.5 seconds, whereas CTR's are closer to 17 seconds. Thats in a straight line too - though the gears I expect the far greater torque of the FRS to really put some distance down.

Either your mates FRS isn't quite on par, or yours is really healthy!

(Puts CTR blinkers on :P ) Mine is healthy, and is much faster than a friend of a friends Type-R. I also understand the point about torque although, though the FRS is almost 100kg heavier and over 10 seconds slower round the nurburgring.

Im blaming granny shifting in the RS, I'll let him know he is a bad driver. :lol:

Which brings me right around to the point of my arguement - not everyones choice is based entirely on performance. I mean, if that was the case, we'd all be buying the superior Integra Type-R over the Clio 182, wouldn't we? :P

^Amen, the lupo gti is a quality package warm performance, the 182 is a hot hatch. As for integra's id love a DC2 just cant afford one yet and have the horn for something rwd :rolleyes:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a 182 in my standarrd GTi and the lad followed me home to ask what id done to it. Was wet though and he obviously cudnt drive. Had a play with one not long ago in the dry and it showed me who was boss. Given a choice of the 2 though id always choose the lupo, i find it has alot more character, also the lupo is much rarer, i must see at least 5 182s a day.

I did a 182 in my standarrd GTi and the lad followed me home to ask what id done to it. Was wet though and he obviously cudnt drive.

Where is the dislike post button?!

My 2 pence: 182/172 is a cheap hot hatch so is fairly quick and bags of fun. Lupo GTI is an expensive warm hatch and is unique but not so fun. I'm not going to comment on specs of the two as I believe the 'full fat' clios are well specced with xenons, air con and half leather seats. A standard GTI cant match that spec.

Edited by Grapo

Well, it can really - full (heated!) leather, xenons, air con (climate if you were really lucky) not to mention all the aluminium bits. Obviously some were options.

Bear in mind that at the time of the GTi's launch (10 years ago, lets not forget) the options listed above were HUGE luxuries for such a small car...but most of them are considered essential/standard spec these days. Much like the GTI now being considered a "warm" hatch - 10 years ago, 125bhp in a small car was still considered "hot", much like the 106GTi, Saxo VTS etc. "Warm" was labelled for cars like the VTR, 106 Quicksilver and suchlike.

Goalposts have moved. 250bhp seems to be the target of most small cars these days. We need more cars like the R26.R.....

I LOVE how everyone says Renault make lightweight hatches and VW make heavy barges.

Mk2 Clio 172 weighs 1110kgs.

Mk3 Golf VR6 "Barge" weighs 1180kgs.

You can't compare a car from the mid 90s to a car from the mid 00s for a weight comparison!!! Think of the extra safety features a more modern car has over a car from the 90s. Its understandable that the equivalent will be potentially heavier today as with most cars.

Ok, so the Golf VR6 isn't that heavy but compare a 2003 Golf to a 2003 Clio 172, thats a realistic comparison to be honest. A realistic comparison of a Renault hot hatch to the MKIII Golf VR6 is the Williams Clio which only weighed 1010kg.

The reason why VW have got a reputation for making heavy cars is that in recent years they've made their hot hatches warm hatches. The quality is there and they have good performance there are just faster cars out there in the same category. Not necessarily better but faster.

I did a 182 in my standarrd GTi and the lad followed me home to ask what id done to it. Was wet though and he obviously cudnt drive. Had a play with one not long ago in the dry and it showed me who was boss. Given a choice of the 2 though id always choose the lupo, i find it has alot more character, also the lupo is much rarer, i must see at least 5 182s a day.

The guy driving the 182 was basically a worse driver and clearly didn't know the potential of his car. The engine in a 172/182 really comes alive at 5k rpm+ so if he changed gear before then, which I've no doubt he did I'm not surprised you beat. You probably know how to get the most from your Lupo.

Thing is though guys, its hard to compare. For example, I could have bought an Impreza for what I paid for my Lupo and would have got something that handled and went far quicker than a Clio 182 let alone a Lupo GTI. Instead I wanted something with character, exclusivity and that certain something that makes you smile.

End of the day, if you want a Lupo, f*cking buy a Lupo. They're great, they're not the only car out there and they're certainly not the fastest. A Clio 182 is a faster car than any stock Lupo but as said there are more of them about and they don't have the character of the Lupo. They have a different appeal, I should know as I've owned variants of both cars.

Guest LupoJoe
Although, Megane 225's are depreciating really well... very interesting option. I like them, especially now all the chavs round here seem to have crashed theirs (one sold his out of embarrassment - nothing to do with a certain black G40 :ph34r: ).

I hope you dont seriously think your g40 that from what i heared runs 15's would stand a chance against a meggy 225. Afriend of mine has one and it'll run 14.5 bog standard and outhandle more or less anything on the road.

apart from that it was a good post, i perfer my 106 gti's and gti engined rallyes to 182's. Ive had 4 106's my last being a gti engined rallye, decat exhast and filter, 140bhp. would run 14.8's all day long and handeled like a go kart as usual with them.

I hope you dont seriously think your g40 that from what i heared runs 15's would stand a chance against a meggy 225. Afriend of mine has one and it'll run 14.5 bog standard and outhandle more or less anything on the road.

apart from that it was a good post, i perfer my 106 gti's and gti engined rallyes to 182's. Ive had 4 106's my last being a gti engined rallye, decat exhast and filter, 140bhp. would run 14.8's all day long and handeled like a go kart as usual with them.

It ran a 15 on my very first go... bear in mind when it did run a 15 it trapped at over 100mph (102, or 103mph if I remember rightly), shows what potential it had if had the time to practice my launches, which were pretty disgraceful. I'm not saying I slaughtered the Megane, but the G pulled a couple of cars out of him from 30ish - 130ish.

I'm actually going to look at a 106 GTi from round your way tomorrow, well Leeds anyway. Nice and original, and not a bad price. Not for myself obviously, but I really do like them, nearly bought one instead of the VR6, but I prefer the comfort and quality of the Golf.

s/c. the whole situation started when i realised just how much i'd have to spend to get a facelift cooper s, the one with 170bhp rather than 163. there loads of other changes too. which is when i got told about the clio.

The Cooper-S is a much closer comparison to the 182s than a Lupo GTI is. I've not properly driven a Cooper-S but there is a different feel from it. It feels very well put together, similar power wise although the 182s feels more alive if that makes sense. The S feels that bit more detatched from the action so to speak.

I personally can't stand the image of the Minis but you can't deny they are great cars and perform very well. Don't think you'd be silly choosing either car to be honest.

It ran a 15 on my very first go... bear in mind when it did run a 15 it trapped at over 100mph (102, or 103mph if I remember rightly), shows what potential it had if had the time to practice my launches, which were pretty disgraceful. I'm not saying I slaughtered the Megane, but the G pulled a couple of cars out of him from 30ish - 130ish.

Its all about power to weight so I can see it being feasible that car like yours could be as quick. I have a 225 and its a very quick and very capable car. Its party piece being the in gear acceleration from 2nd through 3rd gear. But its not the fastest thing in the world, they will run just over a 14 second quarter mile as stock but there's plenty out there that is quicker.

I don't know the power of your G40 but good on ya if it's as quick as it sounds. :)

As quick as it was - I would still take the Megane over one ANY day, it's a far superior car, and apparently with a re-map, I would've been eating Renault dust. The way prices are going, I'm definitely considering one as a future car!

As for Cooper S and Clio 182, I would have a Cooper S. Don't know how you can compare the Lupo GTi to any of these cars. I really would like to see how people with Lupo GTi's keep up with these cars, and if anyone at Dub Pres tonight would like to show me... look for the red Golf VR6. ;)

As quick as it was - I would still take the Megane over one ANY day, it's a far superior car, and apparently with a re-map, I would've been eating Renault dust. The way prices are going, I'm definitely considering one as a future car!

As for Cooper S and Clio 182, I would have a Cooper S. Don't know how you can compare the Lupo GTi to any of these cars. I really would like to see how people with Lupo GTi's keep up with these cars, and if anyone at Dub Pres tonight would like to show me... look for the red Golf VR6. ;)

Well mate if you're ever down my way (Surrey) and the Megane is out in the sunshine I'll happily take you for a blast. :) Nice thing about them is that tey are very comfortable, fully loaded and nice and quick. A really great all round car.

As you say with a re-map they would worry a lot of 'faster' cars, you'd be looking at 280bhp and 300lbs of torque. Some what rapid haha.

I'm even considering replacing my Lupo with one once the prices have fallen a bit more. I like keeping my orange one for 'best' but if I could a more used one as a daily driver, I'd have a black or silver one haha.

Couldn't agree more about comparing the Lupo GTi to a Clio 182, they're not really in the same categories as each other. Both great in their own ways. :)

it wasn't me who started the lupo/182 comparison lol i never mentioned them. personally i think they're over priced and slow for what they are :rolleyes:

I'm not blaming you mate hahaha. Although on a Lupo forum its inevitable they will get compared as they have four wheels! haha. :lol::lol:

Although, I'm not sure you should have said the second comment. Someone, somwhere will erupt! lol

Well my loop with raceland mani bmc and cat back will just about keep up with a 172 but not a 182 or 172 cup. they will slowly pull away. but the other nite had a go with a facelift 07 plate cooper s. was with him until 120 when i changed into 5th and he pulled away like id lifted off!

It's funny how theres never video footage of these sorts of 'racing situations'. if I could stick with a 172 i'd happily get a video to prove a point,

but seeing as I got embarrised by a 172 with two middle aged men in from 60 - onwards, I won't say **** :rolleyes:

it wasn't me who started the lupo/182 comparison lol i never mentioned them. personally i think they're over priced and slow for what they are :rolleyes:

Overpriced, most certainly, and yes it is somewhat slower then the latest hot hatches, but when it came out they didnt exist. It is easily on a par with the 106/VTS of the same era

Thought I'd add, my mate has de-catted his 182, he chased me up a pretty steep hill and the torque difference is HUGE.

I felt like I was in a 1.2.... :lol:

I agree with defcon, the lupo was the bees knees when it was released. Also I wonder how often you get people pointing at your clio, coming to ask you about it or asking if they can take pictures ;)

Clio 182 is a fantastic drivers car but personally lacks apeal for me due to the fact there everywhere.. (and there french ;))

Well my loop with raceland mani bmc and cat back will just about keep up with a 172 but not a 182 or 172 cup. they will slowly pull away. but the other nite had a go with a facelift 07 plate cooper s. was with him until 120 when i changed into 5th and he pulled away like id lifted off!

Having owned a Clio 172 'full fat' and my ex of 18 months having a Clio 182 Cup I can tell you that there's no noticeable difference in performance between them so regardless of which model it will pull away from you! The difference in weight between a Cup and 'full fat' is that about the same as the difference between a skinny little driver or a chunky monkey driver.

I'd have thought that with your manifold and cat back you're making a decent 135-140bhp which I can imagine would make things a lot closer. Thing is there is only about 100kg weight difference between the two cars.

Edited by Alex_225

ive gone from a lupo gti to a s/c coopers s. after having a focus st170 in between (we wont mention that though) :lol:

and i must say even though i absolutely loved everything about my lupo my cooper s is in a totally different league. ok some say that a lupo gti would keep up with a mcs but after having driven the 2 i find it very very hard to believe. The mini pulls consistently better through every gear and handles a hell of a lot better as standard.

i would highly recommend one. I do miss the rarity of the lupo ill be honest, but the supercharger whine is enough to make me forget that pretty quickly. Mine has the JCW aero kit on aswell which does a good job of making it look a little more special. 225bhp is very easy to come by aswell so thats next on my list.

Pics of mine are below if interested.

11062009033.jpg

11062009034.jpg

I know this is about 182s but hey i might aswell give you this peice of information :) ...

My boyfriend has a clio 172 cup and absolutley loves it. Hes stripped it out n done loads of things to which i couldnt tell you but i could get him to tell me n i'll let you know if you like? I can't tell you a lot about it but i can get him to give me his opinion and i have a lot of pics too? One of his mates has a throttle bodied 172 cup too

Louise

I know this is about 182s but hey i might aswell give you this peice of information :) ...

My boyfriend has a clio 172 cup and absolutley loves it. Hes stripped it out n done loads of things to which i couldnt tell you but i could get him to tell me n i'll let you know if you like? I can't tell you a lot about it but i can get him to give me his opinion and i have a lot of pics too? One of his mates has a throttle bodied 172 cup too

Louise

Get it posted up