clio 182

ArosaScotty

i'm looking for something to replace my sport, orginally i had planned for a cooper s, but for the money i'm wanting to spend i cant afford a facelift model.

a friend then suggested the 182, and i was just wondering if anyone off here had any experience with them

ta

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only driven a 172, but they are pretty much the same. Fantastic engine, crap gearbox, excellent quality outside, crap inside. Still better than any of the competition though

I was in the same situation and bought a Type-R.

Not as stylish as a gti and I regretted at first, as they are expensive to run, I would expect the 182 to be similar. Its not just the purchase price but petrol and disposables like tyres and brakes. The lupo gti does represent a good all round performance and affordability compromise, especially when insurance is factored in, and I think they look the tits.

However although the civic took a while to get used to, it is in a different league of perfomance to a lupo gti. (awaits objections and smart arses with 1.8t's or blowers) :P.

i would'nt like to spend much more than 7k on a clio, and i'm sure torphy are a wee bit better.

i like type r's, but there's just something about them that doesnt do it for me.

personally i think lupo gti's are really over priced for what they are, although almost category they are better than the clio (with exceptions to standard equipment and performance) its not what i'm after.

the 182 gets cracking reveiws, apart from reliability of course.

My friend has a 182, there lovely to drive. I really like how strong u can feel the cams kick in!

However, it's not got a patch on the quality and feel of my Lupo, and tbh you don't really notice the extra 60bhp until u get into triple digit speeds.

i dont like many new vw's. personally i think they've lost the character they had. i like the look of them, and its a sensible choice but its not for me.

although i haven't driven either car, i cant help there's more in it than you think panda

My friend has a 182, there lovely to drive. I really like how strong u can feel the cams kick in!

However, it's not got a patch on the quality and feel of my Lupo, and tbh you don't really notice the extra 60bhp until u get into triple digit speeds.

lol, you obviously have no idea what you are on about. a lupo gti does 0-100 in nigh on 25 seconds and a clio 182 does it in around 17 seconds.

60-100mph in the gti is 16.5 seconds and in the 182 is arrives in around 10.7 secs.

if you think there is no difference until triple figure speeds then you are seriously deluded.

Get a Trophy.

They'll hold their prices better, and that suspension is fantastic. Seat are lovely too. I was chasing one around Wales a while back and on the twisty stuff it pissed off into the distance (didn't help that I was limited to 4k rpm, but still)

i had a similar thing after selling my gti a while back.

I tested alot of thingsincluding ctr and 182. But ive just ended up with a facelifted cooper s, as it was the only thing that came close in terms of quality and nailed the gti in terms of performance.

the supercharger makes a beautiful noise aswell!! :lol:

i know they arnt cheap but id say its well worth trying to get hold of one. residuals are good too :D 182 residuals arnt the best tbh unless you go for a trophy. lupo gti residuals are still the best though :lol:

Guest LupoJoe
IMO i would for Lupo GTI or Civic, French cars in my experience, would be a nightmare. What about a New polo GTI (not brand brand new one before, the facelift one) Dubwieser has one I do believe.

Im sick to death of people who know nothing about french cars jumping on the bandwagen and slating them, get out of your vw loving arse and look at other cars with an open mind. My dad has a 182 and the quality is as good as my lupo, its a lot quicker than my gti and it'll outhandle it, lupo gtis are just a warm hatch, this is the worst place ever to come for advice on anything that isnt a vw, i mean has anyone actualy owned a french car?, reliability geeks annoy the hell out of me, as 5th gear said, if you want fun in a hatchback (pure driving fun) then the french do it best.

slate me all you like, one day youll realise vws arent the only car in the world, and i own one

Guest LupoJoe
lol, you obviously have no idea what you are on about. a lupo gti does 0-100 in nigh on 25 seconds and a clio 182 does it in around 17 seconds.

60-100mph in the gti is 16.5 seconds and in the 182 is arrives in around 10.7 secs.

if you think there is no difference until triple figure speeds then you are seriously deluded.

finaly, someone who knows what theyre talking about.

best post yet

finaly, someone who knows what theyre talking about.

best post yet

as are all of my posts ;)

anyway, i've owned french and never had any reliability problems. my saxo vts was awesome fun straight out of the box as standard, and i owned it as my daily runner at the same time as my 260bhp MR2 turbo. the build quality was flimsy, it felt like it was built out of kitkat wrappers, but that's what made it so fun as it was so light.

french cars have come a long way nowadays, and they feel much better put together, and compared the the likes of ford and vauxhall plastics i'd say renault were at least on par.

VAG piss me off that they can't sort out stupid niggles on parts that run right across the brands and ranges, even crappy stuff like MAF sensors and windows switches that seem to fail on every VAG car i've owned.

Edited by Adam K

thanks leddy, that exactly what i was thinkin until like last week. its just i'm looking into moving out just now, and a face lift cooper s is about £8500 onwards. you can pick up a decent clio for about 6k. if i decided not to move out, i'd get the cooper s in a heart beat.

i agree with the post about french reliabilty and looking for something other than a VW, and thanks adam for providing the facts.

I was looking at getting one of these aswell, but the insurance group is very high for the amount of power it produces..

Im now looking at the mk1 focus rs which is lower on insurance but turbo'd and about an extra 35bhp

just my opinion, can get alot better cars for the same money

I was looking at getting one of these aswell, but the insurance group is very high for the amount of power it produces..

Im now looking at the mk1 focus rs which is lower on insurance but turbo'd and about an extra 35bhp

cant find an example in the clios price range. the st170 is. but not an rs

Guest LupoJoe

Its the power to weight not the power, a lorry produces 550bhp but theyre slow because theyre heavy. st170 focus's would get eaten alive by 182's