Crap tyres.

Bought two budget tyres a couple of weeks ago because my others were illegal. (185/55/r14). Initially they were on the back and me and my gf noticed there was a bit of a problem when she spun it out on some windy country lanes at about 30mph. Since then i have spun out on 3 roundabouts. It only happens it the wet. So yesterday i put the back ones on the front and vice versa and now in the wet it just spins up through 1st and 2nd even with minimal acceleration.

Taken them back to the garage and they say the manufacturers have had no complaints about the tyres. But there is nothing the garage can do without sending them off to the manufacturers lab. But since i dont have a second set of wheels and i need my car i cannot do this.

Any help much appreciated. I dont know the tyre brand off the top of my head but will post it up soon.

Thanks

Adam.

Bought two budget tyres a couple of weeks ago because my others were illegal. (185/55/r14). Initially they were on the back and me and my gf noticed there was a bit of a problem when she spun it out on some windy country lanes at about 30mph. Since then i have spun out on 3 roundabouts. It only happens it the wet. So yesterday i put the back ones on the front and vice versa and now in the wet it just spins up through 1st and 2nd even with minimal acceleration.

Taken them back to the garage and they say the manufacturers have had no complaints about the tyres. But there is nothing the garage can do without sending them off to the manufacturers lab. But since i dont have a second set of wheels and i need my car i cannot do this.

Any help much appreciated. I dont know the tyre brand off the top of my head but will post it up soon.

Thanks

Adam.

slow down would be the best bet

have the exact same issues with mine at the moment apart from my rears drop to 10psi every day after pumping them up which adds more to the problem

i dont think i can slow down without getting pulled for driving too slowly. when i have spun out on roundabouts iv been propa careful. iv rescued it a few times but its just spun out completely on others. this is when im doing <20mph on corners. its pretty sketchy tbh. thought it would be something on the tyres themselves but its been about 800 miles since it first happened.

I've never even heard my tyres squeal and I normally push pretty hard... goes to show the difference between a good tyre and a crap tyre! :lol:

maybe you need to push harder :P just kidding, kids dont listen to jamie he's being a bad influence

It takes a lot to spin a standard lupo (GTI anyway) on decent tarmac with decent tyres. Never heard of 'Hero' and certainly won't be touching them!

(however, slap coilovers on, slam it and take all of the weight out of the back and it becomes a lot easier)

It takes a lot to spin a standard lupo (GTI anyway) on decent tarmac with decent tyres. Never heard of 'Hero' and certainly won't be touching them!

kind of defeats this topic really

Its a 1.4 on bad tyres. I can vouch for it being hard to drive

at the end of the day a GTi is what it says on the tin, its a built for performance, its not the economy model, with coils right down it raises the chances of a spin anyway!

kind of defeats this topic really

Its a 1.4 on bad tyres. I can vouch for it being hard to drive

at the end of the day a GTi is what it says on the tin, its a built for performance, its not the economy model, with coils right down it raises the chances of a spin anyway!

It doesnt take much to spin a lupo.

I was referring to that bit really - even economy models with standard tyres aren't very easy to spin with a standard setup. I had a 1.0 on loan for a while back in the day, and it seemed stable, if a little wobbly. It's easy to spin any car if you mess with it in the wrong way, Lupos aren't particularly easy to spin is all I'm saying.

Lupos aren't particularly easy to spin is all I'm saying.

See i completely disagree with that statement, but what fun would it be if we all agreed on everything?!

Edit to say my 1.0 on the standard skinny tyres handled better than my 1.4 with wider tyres!

Edited by Boy'dup

Yeah, I was under the impression the Falkens were pretty good.

The 452s are regarded as a good tyre for the price, never heard of the one mentioned above though.

I never understand why people buy the cheapest tyres they can, the difference between a crap economy tyre and a decent one is scary.

This is a good website for reviews http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/ The Uniroyal Rainsports recomended by LiamD get excellent reviews, think I will try some of those when I finish off the Vreds

I don't know if they have changed but when i had falkens on the mini and they were useless, in the wet it was like being on ice and even in the dry

they spun up ever time went to pull away.

When i got the lupo it had some firstone tires i thought they were crap but i never once spun out on them in fact just last week was the first time

i actually lost grip on a rounderbout in the Lupo. It was my fault i really cocked up what i was doing i entered the rounderbout in 5th and i never do that droped into 2nd when i should have gone into 3rd and i put my foot down too hard with too much lock. It was obvious my front wheels were going to go sideways on the wet road.

I would be seriously concerned if tyres made a car able to spin at less than 30mph with normal driving. If you go for budget tyres i can say that

nankang and kumo (aka admiral) are good

Suspention and camber could be a factor but i would say how your driving may be more of the issue. If they really are that bad demand a refund under reasons of safty. Tell them its unexceptable that they have sold you those tyres as they are obviously not fit for purpose. Say to them that if they do not refund you the tyres you will be taking to watchdog but not in a really threatening manor just very assertive and in a way of disgust . Some assertive words can go a long way. I do not think any company worth there salt should argue a point over such an issue. safty should be a high prioraty if they are willing to sell tyres that are junk then they are not worth dealing with.

Compramise is always good and if you say that your willing to pay for fitting of new tyres plus any extra over the cost of the originals then they would probably be more wiling to oblige in refunding you. Some places just do not take young people seriously so if your dad or another older person was to take the car in say they have had a drive and the tyres are junk then they may take more notice.

At the end of the day if you are spinning out at less than 30mph with normal driving there is obviously something seriously wrong going on

Edited by Unheard