Money problems

Naif

I think this has the right look about it...

P6144074.jpg

That one is actually a SportKa decked on Cossie rims, which means on a normal Ka you won't get the same bumpers sadly. Also these are a 100bhp 1.6 8V so not quite what you'd be looking for.

I've owned a number of Renault Clios and found them all to be great little cars. I'm sure you'd get a 2001/2002 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v for that kind of money, they're 75bhp and come with electric windows etc. If I was after something with a small engine it would probably be my choice. :rolleyes:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've owned a number of Renault Clios and found them all to be great little cars. I'm sure you'd get a 2001/2002 Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v for that kind of money, they're 75bhp and come with electric windows etc. If I was after something with a small engine it would probably be my choice. :rolleyes:

I may sound a bit sceptical about this, but my sister had a Clio about a year ago, and it broke down every 5 weeks without fail. No garage could figure out what was wrong with it, new coil pack didn't fix it, all new HT leads etc didnt, next step would have been a new ecu but she didn't have that kind of money.

So basically, this has put me off Renaults, although I'm sure they're not all the same.

Thanks for that.

No worries, happy to help out.

The problem you face with your budget and needing a car in a low insurance group, is that you have very few 'good' cars to choose from.

I'd get a Polo 6N2 1.4 TDI (ins:6)

Like this:

Click Me

1.0 12V corsa life is actually really nippy! happily rev's all day long

but obviously 70mph+ is a bit sucky :) depends on whether you love motorway driving haha

Corsa

Clio

Lupo

Polo

Fiesta

Ka

Saxo

C2

Punto

Arosa

Ibiza

Fabia

Yaris

Aygo

C1

must be a list of all the supermini's

excluding jazz & micra ?

I may sound a bit sceptical about this, but my sister had a Clio about a year ago, and it broke down every 5 weeks without fail. No garage could figure out what was wrong with it, new coil pack didn't fix it, all new HT leads etc didnt, next step would have been a new ecu but she didn't have that kind of money.

So basically, this has put me off Renaults, although I'm sure they're not all the same.

Every 5 weeks without fail hmmmm :idea: she was forgetting to fill it up with petrol me thinks :lol:

I'm selling a Mk3 Polo 1.0 Coupe. Tax runs out soon but it's MOT'd till February - I want 100 quid for it. Fits all the criteria, and has that VW badge, deck it on some cheapo wheels and you're sorted.

They are seriously cheap motoring, usually 100+ miles to a tenner, and *if* anything goes wrong, it's about 10p for the parts to fix it.

To be honest mate that is not typical of a Clio. I know there is always the argument of 'Its a Renault' and like with any manufacturer, you get the odd Friday afternoon car. I mean even our beloved Lupos aren't totally problem free.

All I mean is that I've had two MKI Clios, a MKI (phase I) 1.2 Clio and an RS 172 Clio, they were all superb. I sold a 1993 Clio to my neighbours with 70k on the clock and its still going strong, I looked after it well but they treat it like crap but still no problems.

If you can find one that has the correct servicing done and is generally tidy I would say you wouldn't experience anything out of the ordinary with it.

With regard to your sisters one breaking every five weeks, if its the same problem that hasn't been diagnosed then I can imagine a repetitive problem. This could ocurr with most cars though really. :(

Get a reliant Kitten, 0 - 60 15secs, maxed out a 86mph returns about 60mpg,

you'll pick one up for about £300 - 900, and there bloody hard to brake, made from fibre glass though lol

I've posted this Micra K11 up before, it looks just right to me

kanagawa05-064.jpg

Cheap to buy, 4x100 wheels, reliable.

A set of Rota Flashbacks would keep costs down.

Just found these...

32577.jpg

And if you like plenty of negative camber!

32624.jpg

thats the first time i have ever seen a micra done up!!

also my opinion is dont buy a ka! you want to be manly!

That one is actually a SportKa decked on Cossie rims, which means on a normal Ka you won't get the same bumpers sadly. Also these are a 100bhp 1.6 8V so not quite what you'd be looking for.

I knew that, I lifted it off EU-Mania. It's an excellent example of how far a well thought out Ka can look.

Once again, after more thinking, I've changed my mind. I'm back to the idea of a Lupo or Arosa (good for the forum eh). According to parkers, the 1.4 E's and S's are only 1 insurance group above the 1.0's, so after getting a few quotes, they're only about £70 more. However, I now need to find one for between £1500 and £2000. Would like less than 60k, good condition, not really bothered about whether it's modded etc as I'd probably re-do it all myself.

Just wondering if <£2k sounds a good budget?

Right mate... here is my advice....... I have spunked **** loads... and i mean **** loads on trying to get the fastest and coolest thing i could get my hands on. Its all been a waste of money.... a big waste of money... I have spent £1800 a year on insurance since I was 17.... I have also lost money on loans etc etc......

My best advice would be to get a sensible little car and then save up and buy something really fast you can **** about with on track.... you don't need any insurance or put it through an mot.... and you can get so much performance for really cheap.....

see below....

I will put my flame suit on here.... There is nothing cool about a 1.4 Lupo.. they are slow as ****... Below is cool..... and easily to save up for if you are willing to put the hours in... It will also improve your driving skills **** loads and also your knowledge of cars... Note this.... There is always something quicker and cooler on the road than the car your driving... But fun for the buck doesn't come much better than this and there is nothing stopping you getting one....

Clicky....

Right mate... here is my advice....... I have spunked **** loads... and i mean **** loads on trying to get the fastest and coolest thing i could get my hands on. Its all been a waste of money.... a big waste of money... I have spent £1800 a year on insurance since I was 17.... I have also lost money on loans etc etc......

My best advice would be to get a sensible little car and then save up and buy something really fast you can **** about with on track.... you don't need any insurance or put it through an mot.... and you can get so much performance for really cheap.....

see below....

I will put my flame suit on here.... There is nothing cool about a 1.4 Lupo.. they are slow as ****... Below is cool..... and easily to save up for if you are willing to put the hours in... It will also improve your driving skills **** loads and also your knowledge of cars... Note this.... There is always something quicker and cooler on the road than the car your driving... But fun for the buck doesn't come much better than this and there is nothing stopping you getting one....

Clicky....

Good points. I know it's a lot of money to be spending on insurance, but if I can get one for around the same money as a 1.0, insure for around the same, and they're better equipped in the way of electrics than most of the standard 1.0's.

I don't understand that last bit though, do you mean I should buy a cheap, slow car and save for something like that? If I was older and didn't have uni coming up next year I would!

yeah, buy a cheap car.... save the money.....

you going to uni then? are you taking your car?