Help me buy some tyres

LiamD

Right I need 4 tyres for the VR, daft question to ask on a Lupo forum but I'll be buying them in very common 195/45/15 size which many of you have probably used.

The whole point of the car is to handle and perform well on the road and track (yes, I'm gonna start doing track days soon!) so no cheap crap, I like to drive my car hard.

I don't want Toyo R888's or Yoko Paradas as I would like some good tyre life, and in my opinion, over-kill for the application.

I'm initially looking at Avon ZV3's and Goodyear Eagle F1s, the Goodyear's are a really good price.

Any other ideas or experiences to share? :)

The goodyears may be well priced, but in the VR I'd honestly doubt you'd get 10,000 miles out of them!

I would happily nominate Pirelli P Zero Nero's for your application! These are fantastic in the wet, Have good longevity and the grip in dry hot weather is just sensational!

Hope that is of some help :)

Toyo Proxes get my recommendation. They seem good enough in the wet and in the dry they are awesome.

I ran Toyo Proxes on the G40, and - IMHO, they were rubbish. Yes it was a high powered application but they struggled to put down 160-170bhp in 3rd gear in the dry. In the wet I could happily spin up all 5 gears. :)

I've just been out tonight with my mate and his Clio Williams, and he really rates the Goodyear's, and so does my mate with a Corrado 20vT. They must be popular :lol:

I will price up a set of P Zero's and see how much they come to, never ran a set of Pirelli tyres before.

I ran a set of Toyo T1-S and a set of T1-R's on my lupo. They were both utter toss with virtually no support in the rain or on greasy roads. Out of the Two, the older T1-S's were the best. The 1 major positive of them both was that they wore down very slowly. But then you get that with a tyre that has virtually Zero Friction!

One of the best tyres I've used to date with exception of the P-Zero Nero's (and I will probably get slated for this) was the Fulda Carat Extremo which unfortunately are no longer made.

Uniroyal Rainsport are fantastic as an all round tyre but I don't imagine they'd be too good as they seem to have quite a lot of "Roll" in the sidewalls.

I have Pirelli P Zero Nero's on my ibiza sometimes its a pain to get the power down in the wet (wheel spin at 70mph once), in the dry they are pretty damn good tho :) Very good around the bends in both wet and dry.

Not sure i would buy them again tho as i found the parada's better for my use.

Can I recommend contis? I've had sportcontacts on a few sizes, and found them to be generally great all round. Average wear, good wet and dry grip, and they stood up to track abuse in my 106 rallye really well too.

I have rainsports right now, 195/45/14s on 8s and they are really good - don't seem to wear very well, but predictable and controllable in the wet, and seem to hang on great in the dry (can't really say a lot about the "handling" on the lupo which has no suspension and -4 degrees of camber!)

Not sure i would buy them again tho as i found the parada's better for my use.

I've seen more than 3 Yoko Parada's mis-shape over time now. Not a tyre I would ever trust.

I do like Conti's, ran them on my Lupo, but they do seem pricey?

Al - you can't get P Zero Nero's in 15" which rules them out.

I'm on Camskill now and they are doing Yoko Parada Spec 2's for 43 quid, really tempted by that despite the short lifespan (2-3k miles? :huh: )

I'm on Camskill now and they are doing Yoko Parada Spec 2's for 43 quid, really tempted by that despite the short lifespan (2-3k miles? :huh: )

Ah boob.

2-3000 miles? Jesus...

I had 18,000 miles out of a pair of Falken FK452's on my Bora and I thought that was only just acceptable!

Going on the recipts from the previous owner im guessing the parada's were fitted on around 26k, i picked up the car on 30k they had another couple of mm left not much tho.. prob another 2k left...

I have Proxes T1-Rs and I cant fault them, my friend has them on his VR and he seems to like them. They arent super amazing in the wet tho, BUT, they are pretty good performance for the price of them.

Edited by electricpanda

After reading all those reviews I think I'm going to go for a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 2's. For the price they seem awesome in all conditions.

Probably just going to get a cheap set of 16's and run R888s on them, or something similar, for track use :)

Oh, and to the people who love their Toyo T1Rs, Camskill are doing an offer on them 195/45/15 for 29 quid a tyre...

After reading all those reviews I think I'm going to go for a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 2's. For the price they seem awesome in all conditions.

A mate of mine has them on his vr6 turbo rolling on some audi rims.. anyway there good to put 400bhp to the tarmac for a decent price aswell.