Slime Tyre Repair ?

VWJason

Been looking at ways to reduce weight in my car and improve fuel consumption as i'm doing a lot of motorway miles.

Got an e-mail from POTN the other day advertising this product, wondered if anyone used it / know anything about it?

Slime Tyre Rapair

Here is the actual item that was advertised in the e-mail (With compressor)

http://www.potn.co.uk/p2708000.htm

Will this work ? I know tyre garages say never repair a tyre because its more likely to fail. But would it do a few hundred miles until i get chance to get it changed? Also what about the Alloy? would it affect that?

Thnx.

(I've already removed back rest from the rear seats as that is one heavy biatch!)

I`ve used this on a push bike before, and one day i got a puncture, pulled the thing out (was like a washer with spikes on it) rotated the wheel so the slime covers the hole, put a bit more air in the trye and it lasted the life of the tyre. Good stuff but never used it on a car.

It works on a pushbike, but I would be wary of using it on a car. I have a can of tyreweld in the boot which is 1/3rd the price of this kit, and probably just as good.

Not a proper replacement for a spare (especially since with a stretched tyre, the bead would probably come unseated/

Weight makes a very very small difference at motorway speeds anyway - the greatest contributors are tyre rolling resistance (weight has an effect on this, but not so much if the tyres are inflated properly) and wind resistance.

Make sure the tyres are pumped up, keep the windows shut and you have the undertray fitted under the engine if you can. Those three things will make a much greater difference than a 10kg weight saving.

Edited by cobblers

To be honest i agree with the comment above, the spare wheel id keep as this can get you out of a lot of trouble, if by the off chance you slash the wall of your tyre that slime is useless where a spare tyre is handy,

In my boot i have me spare tyre, air compresser (slow puncher) and a tin of tyre weld,

Can you repair a punctured tyre once tyre weld has been used? If not, it might prove a false economy.

I'd feel much happier knowing I had a spare wheel on board, or run flats for that matter, rather than spend however long messing with a can and compressor at the side of the M62.

Spare wheel all the way. Try and find a 3L wheel. There magnesium and therefore very light. GTI doors are silly light compared to normal ones. Imo one of the easiest way to lose a lot of weight.

Edited by heartagram

Can you repair a punctured tyre once tyre weld has been used? If not, it might prove a false economy.

I'd feel much happier knowing I had a spare wheel on board, or run flats for that matter, rather than spend however long messing with a can and compressor at the side of the M62.

it doesn't require a compressor it's pressurised you just screw it onto your valve turn the cap and leave it for 30seconds or so until the pressure between the can and the tyre have equalised then your on your way I've never tried to have a tyre replaced with it in although i've used it a few times it says it isn't a permanent fix but it has always worked for me only issue is if you get a blow out or you run something over and fubr your tyre your stranded but that's not likely to happen very often and if it does phone the rac to tow you home

Weight makes a very very small difference at motorway speeds anyway - the greatest contributors are tyre rolling resistance (weight has an effect on this, but not so much if the tyres are inflated properly) and wind resistance.

Make sure the tyres are pumped up, keep the windows shut and you have the undertray fitted under the engine if you can. Those three things will make a much greater difference than a 10kg weight saving.

Totally agree here. Weight only makes a difference in acceleration. Once you are moving at a constant speed weight has no impact whatsoever.

at a constant speed weight has no impact whatsoever.

of course it still makes a difference you've still got to maintain the momentum and pull it up hills haven't you on this scale you wouldn't ever notice it but it still makes a difference when you start talking a 100kg + ie the difference between different models

in my gti boot i have a vw electric pump that plugs into your cigarette lighter and a bottle of VAG tire weld, a tool kit and my battery. im guessing this is normal???

Edited by hunid-brake

in my gti boot i have a vw electric pump that plugs into your cigarette lighter and a bottle of VAG tire weld, a tool kit and my battery. im guessing this is normal???

Yep. Although if thats the original tyre weld it will be out of date and probably won't work.