Alloys / Lowering - New to this.

UrbanFox

Hey, Just joined.

Got an order on a Volkswagen Urban Fox in Diamond Black and Fog lights. Looks nice to me even though there are a lot of Fox haters on here.

I would like to personalise and style it up a little. Im not talking body kit and lots of mods, just a few changes. Firstly to get some different wheels as I think the standard steel look boring.

I was going to buy some from Volkswagen, either the 14 Panama, 14 Vitus or 15 Mendoza. However my moneys a little short so was going to get the 14 Vitrus shown below:

vitus_l_1.jpg

What do you think? They are only £370 but my mate said just buy some from a shop but I have no idea where to start or what would look good, any recommendations on alloys and where to get them from?

I dont really want to do much more however with the car been so tall I am considering lowering using coils. Now forgive me for knowing so little but does this increase insurance or cause any issues when driving? How much should it be lowered by? I've seen people do between 35mm and 100mm on this forum and how much would it be?

Thanks for you help in advance.

Edited by UrbanFox

I would go for a 15" wheel, and the lower the better; most likely on coilovers.

Keep it simple and clean and just prove the haters wrong.

Personally i would just buy some 16" aftermarket wheels to fill the fox's arches, i think about 8j would look decent and still be practical... not sure if they would fit though? have to think about offset aswell.

Then get some coilovers, down 100+mm, keep it clean and your on to a winner.

Yeah dont just go for vw wheels. Have a look on Edition38, there are loads of sets of lush wheels about. Just make sure they have the correct stud pattern, offset and central bore etc etc. I reckon 15 x 7's would look good and definitely wouldnt cause you any problems and you could lower without any trouble. Any questions about what stats, measurements etc to look for on ads just drop me a pm, i know some terminology can be confusin. I will try and help :)

Edit: and i would go down about 60mm or 80mm on coilies. You can buy a set of Philj coilovers for about £200 i think.

Edit again: The stud pattern (pcd) is 5x100, offset (et) between 35 and 42, central bore is 57.1mm

Seriously get joined on edition38.com/forums, then check out this linky (dont know if these will be too pokey tho, doesnt state the offset on the ad) . . .

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=233007

Edited by Ashley

Yeah dont just go for vw wheels. Have a look on Edition38, there are loads of sets of lush wheels about. Just make sure they have the correct stud pattern, offset and central bore etc etc. I reckon 15 x 7's would look good and definitely wouldnt cause you any problems and you could lower without any trouble. Any questions about what stats, measurements etc to look for on ads just drop me a pm, i know some terminology can be confusin. I will try and help :)

Edit: and i would go down about 60mm or 80mm on coilies. You can buy a set of Philj coilovers for about £200 i think.

Edit again: The stud pattern (pcd) is 5x100, offset (et) between 35 and 42, central bore is 57.1mm

Seriously get joined on edition38.com/forums, then check out this linky (dont know if these will be too pokey tho, doesnt state the offset on the ad) . . .

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=233007

Hey bud, Joined edition 38, those alloys look sweet but with tyres over £50 a pop it pushes me over my limit as I need to buy the car first. I only have about £300 - £400 spare so coils are out for the moment too if I want alloys.

Just wondering do coils affect insurance?

About £50 on top of my premium. I recommend coilovers before alloys wheels. In my opinion it looks sweet lowered on steelies, Just take the wheel trims off or spray them a cool colour. Thats what i found with lupos anyway. The Fox will look tones better once the stance is sorted out.

Yeah lowering first and keeping the steelies isnt a bad option. But those wheels were just one set, there are plenty about is what i was tryin to get at, just search about.

Sorry i cant be more helpful

Edit: can you get philj or similar budget coilies for the fox? If so you might be able to afford wheels and coilies for £400 if you fit it all yourself :)

Edited by Ashley

Yeah lowering first and keeping the steelies isnt a bad option. But those wheels were just one set, there are plenty about is what i was tryin to get at, just search about.

Sorry i cant be more helpful

Edit: can you get philj or similar budget coilies for the fox? If so you might be able to afford wheels and coilies for £400 if you fit it all yourself :)

Thanks for all your replies so far. Definately worth reading, better than doing work, haha.

How do I get hold of PhilJ? Just a pm on the forums or does he have a site?

Most of my experience is under the bonnet, never messed around with the wheels, is fitting coils easy? Is it easy to get the measurements wrong, eg on wheel is 2mm lower or higher than the rest or something like that? Maybe its a stupid question, lol.

On lupo is pretty simple, helps if you have a mechanically minded good mate! Much more fun doing it yourself thought. On regards to hieght I judged by eye on the strut and then on the car. Nothing really scientific. If you where running it on track days the difference between them would matter alot more. Were as PhilJ ones there all about looks, low n slow!

On lupo is pretty simple, helps if you have a mechanically minded good mate! Much more fun doing it yourself thought. On regards to hieght I judged by eye on the strut and then on the car. Nothing really scientific. If you where running it on track days the difference between them would matter alot more. Were as PhilJ ones there all about looks, low n slow!

So how do I get these? Is he on the forum or web site? Cant find a web site anywhere.

When doing coilies dont I need certain equipment, was reading this on some sites.

You can contact him on clubpolo! Erm well spring compressors are recommended but I managed without them! and just like spanners etc!

One of my mates just mentioned that I dont need coil overs as they are performance springs and a set of normal springs will be fine and they go for £80, what do you think?

15" wheels look good on a fox. My local tyre fitter dose alloys that you can get various center caps for like (BMW M3 wheels with VW caps) they do wheel tyre balancing and alignment all together for a set price, I guess other places do the same.

Not sure about coilies. (I personally would not go to low)

Well if your on a budget then springs are better, but in my opinion pay a bit more for the budget coilovers and then you can adjust from likr 40-120mm with them and a drop to 70mm on the back, which means that say if you buy new wheels, you can adjust the suspension to suit the wheels. I must say thought my information is based on the lupo so could be different for fox.

15" wheels look good on a fox. My local tyre fitter dose alloys that you can get various center caps for like (BMW M3 wheels with VW caps) they do wheel tyre balancing and alignment all together for a set price, I guess other places do the same.

Not sure about coilies. (I personally would not go to low)

Well so far Im thinking of leaving the springs / coil voers for another time and jsut getting a ncie set of 15" Alloys, probably Audi ones.

Anyone got any good places to get them from and get them fitted?

Dude dont pay to get them fitted, as long as you have a jack and something to undo and tighten the bolts with lol.

I think audi pepperpots would like nice on yours, polished 15's with nice black centres or something.

As for ride height i would advise not going to low as i have just tore my sump open causing my car to bleed to death :(

Know the facts before you make flippant comments to someone who has just caused a great deal of damage to his car is all i can say. I was only doing 40mph and the ramp was completely hidden, and im only lowered 40mm.

No probs mate just me being tetchy, has been a very bad day indeed. Sorry bud.

And sorry to hijack your thread urbanfox