Calibrated Monitors

Unheard

So we are thinking of investing in a calibrated monitor. I researched it heavily a few months back but to be honest

im not too keen on getting brain-ache again its a total minefield trying to work out what best to get.

I was wondering if anyone on here had experience with proper calibrated monitors such as from EIZO or LaCie.

The requirement is primarily for photography editing and video grading.

I shoot in RAW and want to edit prints for both web and photographic print. Currently i am saving everything as sRGB as

that is what most online photographic services are printing with now.

I have not got a calibrated monitor or tool at the moment instead i have worked on a bases of trial and error through sending colour

charts to print and sticking with the most accurate settings keeping it very simple and just building up an idea of the output i will get.

I am confident that any calibrated monitor would be a revelation though.

My main concern is finding a monitor that will be suited to both Photography and Video i have no idea about the different

requirements that are needed between the two. I have yet to get into colour grading videos so i know nothing about the spaces that

are used or even what the cameras shoot with. I am keen to get into that area as sending video to get professionally graded is all

well and good but it steals a lot of the creative aspect away from the final look of the video. Its disappointing when the final result is not

100% what we were after.

Researching in this area has lead me in circles and without talking to someone with first hand experience i will never get anywhere.

Any advice from someone in the know would be fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

the Eizo Coloredge CG22something is amazing, I was blown away when I first had a play on one, mega bucks though.

I've also used a LaCie 324 iirc for a few hours and they are almost as good as the Eizo, I couldn't tell the difference to be honest.

As for the video grading issue; top end monitors are only really developed for still images, so have relativley slow response times (16ms for the Eizo...)

Mot of my mates have a high end consumer LCD then a pro CRT hooked up for video editing/production.

Eye-one display 2 is supposed to be one of the best calibration kits so I've heard by the way

Hope that helps

What do you do by the way?

Ben