Ignition timings and race fuel

lloydy

Can i change my ignition timings on my lupo sport?

and also does anyone know anything about methylated spirit and race fuel?

Will the car change horsepower on different octane levels like some cars do?

Edited by lloydy

Are you wanting to run race fuel for every day use ???

Your going to need a re map and deep pockets

no you cant change the ignition timing on your sport as its got a coilpack ingition timing can only be adjusted on distirbuter engines, i wouldnt bother with the race fuel unless you have upgraded your engine bits like piston's, rods, cams, headwork etc. also you would need a remapable ecu to gain any real benifits form the fuel as it will need to get mapped to the fuel you use and once you do that you cant go back unless you get another map to normal fuel! for a race car yes racing fuel is good but a normal road car no lol

edit: also your lupo fuel flap will say what fuel for you to use like 97/98 i have tryed tesco 99 and not noticed much but it still gives your engine a good clean

Edited by rosscarbry

re map!!! and yes deep pockets. You will be able to run more ignition advance, but if you are stuck with out decent fuel, you could end up damaging an engine.... It will give more power though. I would use V-power, induction kit, even port the head first.

no you cant change the ignition timing on your sport as its got a coilpack ingition timing can only be adjusted on distirbuter engines,

Yes you can change the ignition timing, But through vagcom and reprogramming your ecu.

A remap will do this.

Correct me if im wrong, but the higher the octane level of fuel, the higher it compresses before exploding. Giving a higher compression temperature too.

But to be brutally honest, race fuel is mega expensive and going to see you minimal gains on the road, 102 octane is about £80 for 25 litres! and 109 octane is £105.

John

higher the octane level of fuel, the higher it compresses before exploding. Giving a higher compression temperature too.

your thinking about diesels there mate :)they work on compression ignition where as petrols r spark ignition :)

No i know that, but im sure thats what the octane level rating is about though. Its compresability before exploding. Hence the reason you can advance the igntion timing closer to tdc without pre detination?

And based on gas laws. When you compress something with the same volume, the temperature increases??

That would be another reason why the gti engine has oil spray jets to cool the back of the piston, Becasue it has a relativly high compression ratio, and its need to cool the pistons.

John

Edited by CasperGTI

I know of a few people who race sidecars and alot of people run methanol without any internal modifications as it burns cooler and apparently it isn't to expensive if bought in big barrells they use it in nitro r/c cars too but buying it that way would cost you a fortune as for the once you change your ****ed opinion alot of companies (emerald being one of them iirc) do a switchable map so you could in theory set it up to run on both at the flick of a switch so long as you ran the tank down to almost empty before re-filling with the other i couldn't envisage any issues also not sure if methanol is road legal being as it burns clear I have no idea what the gains would be either though find a sidecar forum or suchlike and ask what sort of gains they achieve maybe???

What john put is right, you may find more problems, Increasing fuel octane gives basically the same results as advancing the ignition timing or increasing compresson ratio.

1.4 engines are not the best!

I like this whole thread.

So the higher the octane the stronger the mix?

What are they doing extra to increase the levels?

Is low quanty production the reason for the higher costs?

yeah basicly mate the higher the octane the purer the fuel if you have standard fuel like unleaded 95 which i think means 95 units or cells or what ever you want to call them and then you get 5 units/cells which are additive's as i think its out of 100 not to sure how it works as you can buy the bp fuel which it 105 octane which i think is just straight octane fuel and then if you go any higher then its the metinol stuff lol if any one seems i am wrong help me out as i am pretty drunk right now and i am sure i have got 95% of it right haha

a higher octane fuel with give a better, slower burn in your cylinder, controlling a smooth push down of your piston, and also ensuring the piston in pushed all the way to the bottom. optimsing your engines performance.