P0118 fault code... head gasket?????

Clifford

Hi

I recently got a 06 reg VW Fox which I have found to be a great little car. last week while driving down the motor way a water hose come off :unsure: which led to me jumping over fences and meeting dairy farmers in search for water.

The famer gave me some water and we were on our way....

just the other day I went up to Leicester and back (160 mile round trip) on the way back the temperature gauge light up and started beeping at me when I was just a few miles from home (so had done at least 150 miles). I got out and had a look under the bonnet, the water level appeared normal. I let it cool for a while then took the lid off the water reservoir to which the water sunk, till the reservoir was almost empty :huh: I filled it up and thought to see if there was any air in the system, there was a little. So I purged it out.

This has made me and my gf paranoid about the car

So I plugged my laptop into the car using my elm327 adaptor in the hope it may shed some light onto the matter. It was showing the fault P0118 - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input, everything I can find about this fault code suggests it’s the sensor. But if it was just the sensor it would not explain all the other symptoms

will be greatfull for you oppinions

cliff

Sometimes whenever a light comes on it will register a fault code, so maybe it was caused by the high coolant temp light coming on. The engine probably started to overheat because of the air in the cooling system.

If you have not already done so I would replace the coolant with proper VW stuff and make sure there is no air in the system, then clear the code and see how it goes.

Hey guys thanks for your replies......

Turns out it was a very simple problem. A easy to make mistake made by the guy we got to service the car.... the coolant use said "anti-freeze" on the side in bold writing... when looking at the small print it said it was screen wash :( containing methanol which boils at 70˚C, Which is obviously much too low.

So it wasn’t air in the system it was methanol from the “anti-freeze”

So i have flushed the cooling system out 5 times to get rid of any methanol that was in the system.... sins doing that we have travelled over 300 miles without any troubles

Thanks again for you input