long term cup car replica

Toi gulp

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry not actually bought the top mounts yeat as i'm wandering if its possible to move the lower end of the strut first, another thing to consider would be to make a new plate for the ball joint to mount to.

Sounds good. Do you still have the pics of your cold air feed? Thats what I want to do but need some inspiration! Ive seen your thread on it but the pics are no longer there.

Loving those wheels

Image030.jpg

intakenew3.jpg

erm the above photo is probably the best you can see the opened up valance where two ducts fit in and go up to the filter, its a bit messy though but works, so when i get round to changing the rad i'll make up GRP panel to smooth everything off nicely.

thanks the wheels do finish of the car nicely if i can say so myself.

just need more castor now and less roll lol.

I don't see how the bush thing willl work tbh. Without changing the front bush mounting/shape/size or something, all it's going to want to do is misalign. The top mounts look like a good idea. Apart from being able to dial in some castor, it gets a whole load of rubber out of the equation, which will make things a bit more positive. The ball joint mount is worth a look. A friend of mine has just had something similar made for his Ibiza so I will see how that goes. The ideal way to go would be some tubular rose jointed wishbones, but it starts getting expensive and there is maintenance to consider.

thats very true, i've pretty much ruled out the Adjustable bushes as by looking at the shape of them you cant 'lock' them at a desired position and would be a pain to line up so adj top mounts it is, i'll be heading up to compbrake soon to discuss getting the ball joint plates made up that i plan to make a start drawing up. ( i think i'll buy one of the cheap wishbones of e-bay and see how i can best engineer an offset in.)

rose joints would be very nice but would have to be rally spec with the u.k's excuse for roads!

Edited by Toi gulp

when my bank manager, boss and insurance company stop laughing at me lol.

sorry seriously the roll cage will be in probably last of all as that will sacrifice most of the cars (ahem..practicality) however i'm still undecided as to whether to go for a weld in or a bolt the former being preffered. The cage is at least a year away ideally i'd like to have a second car first before putting the cage in.

You should asK Mr cartwright if he can get one welded up for you haha, loving the new wheels, what did you do with the bathursts.

yep lol, i know where that would go lol.

And the wheels are lovely thanks siimo well chuffed i was absoloutely skint for a week as my money ran out but oh well it was worth it.

I've still got the bathursts, they need a clean up and a very minor re-furb which i can do myself easily than i think i'll sell them with or with out tyres, u interested?

on another note i discovered why the lupo is so unstable under heavy braking today THIS APPLIES TO ALL LUPO'S I'D IMAGINE. They have a load sensor on the rear beam which works out how much grip the car has measuring the ride height and then distributing braking force front and rear depening on the level of ride height. BUT as the car is lowered its tricking the car into thinking theres more weight on the axle than there actually is and it is of course sending more brake power to the rear. So i think i'm going to have to advance my plans for stronger front brakes to compensate.

do you want them with or with tyres. i'll make a start on re-furbing them today i think.

kumho ecsta's nearly new but i think one is loosing air very slowly, it took a couple of weeks to loose about 5psi there was a nail in the tread but it hadnt gone through the carcass and i checked it by keeping water on it and there were no bubbles, so that you know. they'll be off the o.z's as i want to keep the goodyears that are on the bathursts atm)

right, vw clearly overlooked whats involved in changing the rear beam bushes (if they just moved the brake lines 20 friggin mill grrr. so ive not bothered for now as the standard bushes turn out to be O.K. and since discovering why the backend trys to overtake the front under hard braking suprise suprise its an electrical problem, bloomin modern cars.

I think its a safe bet to conlude that as the car is lowered i'm not getting the full potential from the front brakes due to an upset brake bias and as a result i'm on the stoppers for longer leading to unecesary heat build and much to my frustration the group N discs have now decided to warp them selves (enthusiastic driving over the cat and fiddle pass hasnt helped). So as a temporary measure a g60 conversion has been ordered. at least 280 brakes will fill the wheels better the question is to groove or not to groove?

then next on the list will be the jabbasport rear antiroll bar, it shouldnt be too dificult to find an ARB off another car that would do the same job but for the sake of tried and tested, time and effort the Jabbasport one will be ordered, at some point.

I think they may have adapted an Ibiza rear ARB?

I would like one for the 6N as well.

Are you coming along to Santa Pod for GTI Summer festival?

Would love to race you!

Really? i thought the lupo shared the same beam with the ibiza......maybe not.

Erm i have no plans to go to gti festival really, straight line speed is boring lol ;) especially when the car isnt putting out much more power than standard, although i could practice quick shifts and destroying my synchro's. ahem. now if i had my long wanted 6R4 replica on the other hand................

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i hate taking my car to garages......absoloutely hate it...

So my OSF wheel bearing let go of life on tuesday on the way to work so i took it home at lunch time and kept it in the garage until friday when it was due into the garage a well rated one at that, to have the wheel bearing fixed (i didnt have the time or the propper equipment to do it myself) anway garage was initially helpfull and reasonable (ish) on price.

so i pick the car up on friday afternoon and as allways after collecting a car from a garage i took it straight out on a drive, it didnt feel right from the start....unstable and it had serious crabbing issues under moderate to hard braking. (back end trying to overtake to the right) so i took it back and told them to check it. lets just say two of their staff drove the car then and agreed with me, but unfortunatley they were about as inteligent as the spanners they had used to f*ck up the geometry. they stuck it on the brake test machine and my brakes were within MOT limits but with a slight imbalance at the front stronger on the OSF but still pulling about a 70/30% bias (g60) on a 60/40% weight distribution car,

Yesterday i took the wheel of to see what they had actually done this is where it starts..

disc retaining screw snapped off in hub.......

two dents in the brand new disc.......

smashed disc back plate trying to undo the rear ball joint bolt (fair enough they replaced the bolt)...

and the icing on the cake they didnt bother setting up the geometry again so i think its toing out with little if any negative camber and the tracking is off to the right.

they said bring it back on monday and they'll have a look at the tracking.....they best bloody do the camber while theyre at it then, otherwise photos will be presented.....

Edited by Toi gulp

• 2 weeks later...

Full cat back custom stainless steel exhaust has been added now by Pipewerx. its nice and subtle for a straight through system only marginally louder than standard until it gets warm.

I dont think its actually helped power by much if at all, but there is definately a little more torque which is good for daily driving. Though i'm definately thinking the manifold will be next on the list.

• 4 weeks later...
Hope you got the garage to sort the problems mate :)

Just found your videos on vimeo on track, good stuff :D

Nope, i dint trust taking my car back to them. in the end it took me an hour and half with a drill and a old disc brake and a sacrificed torx bit to get the old retaining screw out. And demon tweeks very kindly re-did my geometry again so it handles properly.

thanks for the advice.

still loving the wheels, i dont want to take them off, gud fun to clean though but mr wonder wheels helps with that!

I think the Cup Racers had the final drive out of the TDi. I drove a couple when I worked (very briefly) at Bruntingthorpe doing driving days and they have incredibly short gearing which makes them incredibly quick off the mark. On the whole they were very, very well finished. The steering wheel and gear knob were retrimmed in alcantara and the seats/harness were top quality Konig and Schroth parts. They ran very agressive front camber and an incredibly stiff rear end. I wouldn't recommend setting a road car up like them as the rear end constantly tries to overtake the front. Great on a track if you know what you're doing and keep on the power all the time, but it would be guaranteed to catch you out on the road.

Great progress so far though :D

I think the Cup Racers had the final drive out of the TDi. I drove a couple when I worked (very briefly) at Bruntingthorpe doing driving days and they have incredibly short gearing which makes them incredibly quick off the mark. On the whole they were very, very well finished. The steering wheel and gear knob were retrimmed in alcantara and the seats/harness were top quality Konig and Schroth parts. They ran very agressive front camber and an incredibly stiff rear end. I wouldn't recommend setting a road car up like them as the rear end constantly tries to overtake the front. Great on a track if you know what you're doing and keep on the power all the time, but it would be guaranteed to catch you out on the road.

Great progress so far though :D

i think i should re-name this lupo BTC replica thread. if the gti wasnt so rare(ish) i'd enter it for road rally's damnit!

• 3 months later...

well i was planning on getting the adjustable wishbones put on mid december, but the car has other ideas. 3rd gear synchros are on their last legs, clutch is now an OAP. the cambelt is nearly due and to top it off last night my nearside front brake caliper decided to seize on........bloody typical!!!

anyway, i need a 6 speed box to cheer me up!

• 3 months later...

well the time has come to depart with the Lupo, much unfortunately.

i have myself a new job and with it more money so time to climb the power tree, if i could keep the lupo and buy another car i would but unfortunately that aint possible.

so keep an eye out for a GTi with white o.z. wheels in the cheshire area.........will be truly sorry to see it go!