Lupo

99hjhm

I decided to have ago at the R32 steering wheel today. Did it in around 2.5hrs, but it could easilly take double that.

The wiring harness is very hard to understand inside the Golf wheel with dozens of wires for the DSG padels and media controls, also the horn and airbag is wired differently. I cut the lupo air bag plug off, and soldered on the Golf one... The lupo uses a plastic coated printed cable, so it was very tricky, haven't connected the airbag loom up yet, but fingers crossed.

You need to use the Lupo slip ring, it fits fine, but the steering wheel needs 3 holes drilling to secure the ring.. using new M4 bolts, the lupo ones are too short, also there needs to be a wire for the horn to come up through to the airbag through the wheel, I enlarged one of the existing holes. Another hole needs dilling for a little plunger in the Lupo slip ring, on the lupo wheel it is held down when then the nut is tightened up via aspring steel clip that sits in a recess... This isn't on the Golf wheel, so i made a ali bracket to hold this down, secured by a self tapping screw the wheel... Which is only a aluminium alloy.

The horn wires need to be cropped of the Golf loom, then a male blade terminal added so they connect to the Lupo wire from the slip ring.

I think an earth wire needs to be added from the tabs on the airbag casing to the steering wheel/column, as my horn isn't working yet.

The horn is sometimes buzzing when going from lock to lock, Bluloop also had this issue, haven't looked yet, but i guess the Golf wheel makes the horn contact on the slip ring earth out cause it's deeper????? (Why is everybody at Edition)

My indicators aren't self cancelling either, so that needs looking at.

DSCN3121.jpg

The alignment marks...

DSCN3123.jpg

Golf airbag on left, Lupo on right... Don't store airbags like this!

DSCN3124.jpg

Lupo airbag wiring inside the Golf wheel

DSCN3125.jpg

DSCN3122.jpg

DSCN3127.jpg

DSCN3128.jpg

DSCN3130.jpg

Edited by 99hjhm

It looks right at home. I managed to get the Lupo airbag off in around 1-2mins, never had a airbag off a car before!! I hear it can take hours?

Fitted some 25mm wheel spacers all round, look great on the front, maybe 20mm would have done... Rears still have alot of tuck. Handling was much improved with just the rears, and is still better than std with the fronts, maybe a little more jumpy due to the change in center point of the steering.

Mods ordered/Waiting to fit.

Skoda chrome door pins

Bora sunglasses holder... To be painted satin black to match GTI trim

Touareg torch

Audi TT knee rests

VW Shark fin aerial

Polo glovebox.. Still

I've had the Polo 6n2 GTI center console in, direct fit! everything on it is the same as a Lupo. Had to cut alot of the dash out by the heater blower to fit in the Polo glovebox. It's all been trial fitted, I think it will be acceptable, never perfect.

Try to get some more pictures up tomorrow(today)

Edited by 99hjhm

Gorgeous car mate, i love the little mods you have done. Just a word on the Touraeg torch, it fits in the lighter socket but the ashtray cover doesn't shut due to the size of the torch. I'm sure something can be modded to make it fit so i will watch your thread in the future :)

• Like 1

Gorgeous car mate, i love the little mods you have done. Just a word on the Touraeg torch, it fits in the lighter socket but the ashtray cover doesn't shut due to the size of the torch. I'm sure something can be modded to make it fit so i will watch your thread in the future :)

Thought that might be the case. I have a 12v Aux plug in the boot, so looks like it might have to live in there... Thanks for the warning.

Edited by 99hjhm

Possible... Yes. But not easy.

The Mk5 uses can-bus, you would need a steering wheel controller, and a Golf slip ring... And lots of time... It maybe possible to mod Passat/Bora Mk4 parts.

I think the MFD has the ability to use the steering wheel controls on a Mk4, but I don't think it's worth looking into.

Good news... Fixed the horn issue when turning the wheel, it was 3 screws that hold the stalks to the top of the column, took them out and filled the heads down one at a time. Also got the horn working, the airbag casing needed a earth connection to the steering wheel, just tagged it onto one of the slip ring bolts.

Just won a GTI insert pad for the bottom of the wheel.

DSCN3131.jpg

Fitted the 99p shark fin aerial, seems to work fine, and was a direct fit.

DSCN3132.jpg

Trial fitting of the Polo glovebox and lower dash.

DSCN3133.jpg

DSCN3134.jpg

DSCN3137.jpg

Pics with the 25mm wheel spacers...

DSCN3140.jpg

Maybe a little too much on the front...

DSCN3136.jpg

DSCN3139.jpg

Looks nice mate, how hard is it to fit the under dash?

Very difficult.

The Polo dash is very different, it will never fit 100%, but I will be happy with 85%.. What the Lupo has is a waste of time anyway.

Not cheap either.

Comments please

Edited by 99hjhm

Very difficult.

The Polo dash is very different, it will never fit 100%, but I will be happy with 85%.. What the Lupo has is a waste of time anyway.

Not cheap either.

Comments please

looks great and subtle ;)

would be good for others when the glovebox is all done to do a how to?

you've done loads in a short space of time!! well done

The glovebox is a mine field, and a total bodge.

Credit to Unheard... Who I think is the only one with the full glovebox job, and has given me lots of advice with it.

I am sure yours will look much better than mine once its finished. I have not even got round to painting it, its half grey half black :lol:

I had just the glovebox in for about a year before i happened uppon all the other bits in the scrappy. i had to get them and all in all for all the

parts it was no more than about £40 so not bad really. I must get the polo centre console just so that infill will clip into it. they really are

almost identical apart from the top.

I had planned to put a light in my glovebox so when you open it the light goes on you have to do that it will suit your car so well, I was thinking

a micro tilt switch on the door flap may be the best way to go or one of those push switches that goes on when it pops out like lots car doors

and boots have.

Car looks fantastic

MFD Now fitted... Thanks Flying Custard who delivered it to my door!

DSCN2745.jpg

DSCN2749.jpg

DSCN2750.jpg

DSCN2762.jpg

I have now found out that I need a plug and play lead to make the Gala function work on the sat nav. It's a direct fit, the DIN cage is apparently smaller on a Lupo, but it's in.

You need a different set of keys for the MFD though.

Woah I am getting one of those for my Arosa (mk2)..

Thats the audio system, not the cat :D

How much did it set you back and is it easy to install?

Cheers!

Bit about the MFD here..

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?sho...6985&hl=mfd

I paid £300. Please note that they don't play CD's though.... I think you can get Seat branded ones, they are quite rare though. They are a direct fit in the lupo, you need a plug and play lead from eBay to make the sat nav work correctly, also a GPS aerial, and maps disc. you also need 4 keys to take it out with.

I am sure yours will look much better than mine once its finished. I have not even got round to painting it, its half grey half black :lol:

I had just the glovebox in for about a year before i happened uppon all the other bits in the scrappy. i had to get them and all in all for all the

parts it was no more than about £40 so not bad really. I must get the polo centre console just so that infill will clip into it. they really are

almost identical apart from the top.

I had planned to put a light in my glovebox so when you open it the light goes on you have to do that it will suit your car so well, I was thinking

a micro tilt switch on the door flap may be the best way to go or one of those push switches that goes on when it pops out like lots car doors

and boots have.

Car looks fantastic

I'm thinking about a light also. Keep meaning to look in mums Golf, see what that has. Polo centre console makes life so much easier.

Had a load of PM's about the steering wheel, so though i would answer a few questions...

It came from a eBay seller called huaweildealer.

It was a brand new 2009 steering wheel and airbag.

Couple of points when buying a steering wheel

1. Airbags cost more than the wheels... Airbag for the R32 wheel is around £500 from the dealer.

2. Stay away from USA stuff as the airbags have two ignitors, due to a larger bag.

3. You will need to tell your insurance company.

I have VAG-COM, so was able to find out what faults I had when I reconnected it. If you turn the ignition on with the bag disconnected, you will get a fault code.

I got my auto electrician to check my wiring before i connecting the column plug... The airbag light still came up, we couldn't trace the fault, there is a winding inside the airbag plug, that has different resistance to the Lupo plug... In the end it didn't seem to matter. I found the fault might have been the fact we left the retention clip of the airbag plug, now it's on, I have cleared the faults and all the measuring blocks seem correct.

We tried reversing the polarity of the airbag, didn't seem to make any difference.

When you remove the wheel, make sure the road wheels are straight ahead, so the clock spring is central... This is very important, as a slip ring is around £300. I didn't realise my wheels were not straight ahead, so had to centralise the clockspring, counting turns lock to lock of the spring then getting as close to central as I could.

Wheel nut should be torqued to 50nm, it uses a 24mm socket.

The buttons on the wheel cant be used as a Mk5 golf uses canbus, even the board under the pads would be useless...

Any other questions, please post them on here, so others can see them.

Physically a 'S-line wheel' from a Scirocco, Mk6 Golf, Audi's, even a Lambo might/will fit. No idea if the airbag could be controlled by the Lupo though.

Lupo GTI wheel is not for sale yet

Thanks to Bluloop and NFBR for their help.

Any noticeable handling changes since you fitted the spacers pal? :)

Psychologically maybe B) ..... It was better with just the rear spacers. No adverse changes, doesn't jump over bumps or anything like that. To be fair, some people have used ET03 wheels, that make more difference.