Drivers side Electric Window

pino1

Hi All

I am hoping someone may be able to shed some light on the problem i'm having with Drivers side Electric Window on my Lupo. It stopped working not long after buying the car, just clicks when button's pressed. As it was winter i decided i would leave it until the weather got a little better before having a look. So i have now 4 times stripped the door knocked the motor/mechanism and after a little while the windows starts to work again. The only problem i have is that it only works for approx 2 days and then it's back to being stuck.

Does anyone know what i need to do to get this thing working permanently? Please

Many thanks

Pino

Get another switch. Same thing happened with my passenger side one in my GTI. The switch had burnt itself out. About £14 from a dealer.

Hi mate

Thanks for the reply, i tried using the passenger side switch and same thing just clicks. The only way i can get the thing to work is to hit the motor/regulator and press the switch at the same time but it only works for a couple of days

• 1 month later...

The electric window motors seem to be a common problem on these cars. Sometimes replacing the switch resolves the problem but this can also be caused by the grease in the mechanism drying out.

As you have tried changing the switch then I suggest you remove the regulator and motor from the car. This can sometimes be easier said than done as you will need to get access to the clamps that hold the glass to the regulator. This lack of lubrication for these items can be noticed if the motor clicks when the window switch is pressed but nothing else happens.

To do the job you will need to

1/ remove door top trim by prising of the interior handle handle cover using a flat bladed screwdriver inserted at the small gap at the bottom of the handle cover. Then remove the two crosshead screws. Carefull pull the trim panel away from the door. Some of the plastic clips may break. Release the door cable and unplug the wiring for the warning light (on drivers side). Tear off the grey interior waterproof cover. These are no longer available from VW so can be replaced with a sheet of plastic stuck on with silicone. Unplug the wiring for the electric window switch and door lock.

2/ remove lower door panel by undoing the 4 screws at the bottom of the panel and carefully pull away by pulling out at the sides and then lifting up to clear the top fixings. Remove grey interior cover as above

3/ Place a piece of cloth on the top of the door and then putting strong duck tape from one side of the glass, over the top of the door (and cloth) and stick onto the other side of the glass. Use at least 2 pieces of tape. This is to stop the glass falling and breaking once motor has been removed.

4/ undo the 10mm bolts holding the motor in place (3). Undo the 10 mm bolts at the bottom and top of the regulator arms (2 for each arm). Note one of these has a spacer that may fall into the bottom of the door.

5/ Take a 10mm spanner and reach up inside the door and loosen the bolts on the clamps holding the bottom of the glass. This is a bit akward.

6/ The regulator arm can be gently pulled down and towards each other. With some gentle manipulation this will allow for the clamps to come away from the glass, leaving the glass in place - held by the duck tape

7/ Everything is now free except for the wiring to the actual motor. It is possible to remove this connector without removing the door speaker but just not worth the effort. Use an electric drill on the 4 rivits holding the speaker, unplug and move out of the way. The multi plug connector is used for cars that have the one touch up and down option. A two pin connector is used for those cars that do not have this feature. The connector is held in place by a plastic clip that needs to be pressed to release.

8/ Now everything should be released and the motor, complete with regulator, can be eased out of the space at the bottom of the door.

9/ Place the complete unit onto a clean surface. The motor has a metal fixing bracket on one side. Place with the otherside up and remove the 5 crosshead screws from the plastic cover. Gently ease off the plastic cover but do not fully remove. Inside you will see the metal cable wound around a plastic spindle. Spray plenty of grease into this area. I used a spray lithium grease from Halfords. Refit cover and tighten

10 / spray all of the wheels around the regulator and spray into the area where the cables enter the spindle area mentioned above. Also spray the metal frame of the regulator where the glass clamps slide up and down.

11/ Carefully plug the wiring loom into the motor and plug the wiring back into the window switch. Switch on the ignition and try the switch to ensure that the motor now moves the regulator. Switch off the ignition and remove the wiring connector.

12/ refit the regulator and motor. Refit the bolts remeberring the spacer. Reconnect the switch. Switch on ignition again and move the regulator to half open position.

13/ Now carefully remove the duck tape from the glass and lower the glass gently into the clamps. With the window in the half open position you can then easily retighten the clamps.

14/ Use the button to lower the window completely. Now spray silicone lubricant (also avaibable from Halfords) on the 3 surfaces of the window opening to ensure that the glass does not stick against the door felts when in the closed position.

15/ Refit your speaker with a rivit gun or other suitable fixings. Refit door cards and job is done

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Hi all

our Lupo has a similar issue on the passenger side, the electric window switch just clicks and the window doesn't move. Also we've noticed the heated mirror doesn't work on that side either which surely can't be a co-incidence! ?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for this 'how to guide' I was able to oil and repair my window motor.

Only problem was some of the clips breaking off on the upper door card, but I epoxied them back in.

The electrical plug on the window motor is also difficult to reach and DOES require the removal of the speakers.

Now would be a great time to upgrade to better door speakers.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did this today to replace the poxy plastic runners which had broken, what a clat of a job !

In the instructions above you mention one of the bolts has a spacer............

4/ undo the 10mm bolts holding the motor in place (3). Undo the 10 mm bolts at the bottom and top of the regulator arms (2 for each arm). Note one of these has a spacer that may fall into the bottom of the door.

........... mine did not have a spacer in any position but obviously someone had been inside the door before me (broken glass in bottom of door). Howvever on reassembly the window labours to go up (silicon grease put in all the runners etc.) so I'm gueesing the spacer is important?

Can you identify which bolt should have the spacer, and what thickness it should be?

N64-0174.jpg

Thanks

Just had my door apart today after my car's been lying on the drive a couple of months, the switches work fine, so it's nothing to do with them, and my passenger door window was working fine too.

I now have both windows making a clicking noise but not much else, it's like they're trying to move but nothing's happening. I've now got the drivers-side door apart and i'm up to stage 11 of lupo2's guide but the motor still only makes a clicking noise.

Even with the plastic cover completely off with only the motor there it won't budge, should i try and turn the cog while using the switch? Anything else i can try?

Also, is it possible for the window to jam on the seal or anything, there's no real reason why the passenger window shouldn't work fine, my car hasnt been standing for that long. thanks :) and great how-to lupo2, cheers.

Just had my door apart today after my car's been lying on the drive a couple of months, the switches work fine, so it's nothing to do with them, and my passenger door window was working fine too.

I now have both windows making a clicking noise but not much else, it's like they're trying to move but nothing's happening. I've now got the drivers-side door apart and i'm up to stage 11 of lupo2's guide but the motor still only makes a clicking noise.

Even with the plastic cover completely off with only the motor there it won't budge, should i try and turn the cog while using the switch? Anything else i can try?

Also, is it possible for the window to jam on the seal or anything, there's no real reason why the passenger window shouldn't work fine, my car hasnt been standing for that long. thanks :) and great how-to lupo2, cheers.

Try popping the seals out and see if it works?

Edited by nicksuth

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Just fixed my pax side window for the cost of a can 'o grease. awesome. Thanks so much guys!

If it helps anyone else: I used a ratchet spanner thingy to release the window clamps and I didn't have to curse once. The chaps that have done this already will agree no doubt that taking the spanner off and replacing it each few degrees of unscrewing is bloody annoying!

Also many thanks to user Danoid for his guide: http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89966 - invaluable!