GTi tyres

sam bignell

What do people think of these tyres? Im looking at 205/45/15 at the moment but I have never used this brand before.

Reading up on them, some feedback has said they are a softer compound. . . do people agree with this and thus go through them more often?

Just pondering whether to buy these as recommended by VW or go for cheaper 195/45/15

Cheers

Sam

I've got these all round on the standard wheels and rate them highly, much nicer than the standard dunlops.

They have done around 15k now and still have some life in them so don't seem too bad.

I've got these all round on the standard wheels and rate them highly, much nicer than the standard dunlops.

They have done around 15k now and still have some life in them so don't seem too bad.

Thanks Lee, i was searching old threads and some mentioned about it being a softer compound and thus wearing a bit quicker.

Michelin's @ £130 RRP per wheel. . . . . I'd rather get rapped thank you very much :surprise:

Very good tyres, i find they have a stiffer sidewall than the comparitive good years so are marginally better on steering feedback. loads of grip and best when warm if you can use them in anger. But yes they are soft. i can chew through a set in 7 months on the front but for the price theyre worth it

Thanks Lee, i was searching old threads and some mentioned about it being a softer compound and thus wearing a bit quicker.

Michelin's @ £130 RRP per wheel. . . . . I'd rather get rapped thank you very much :surprise:

why not change for 195/45 r 15 then you have a choice from better tyres for less money eagle f1's or yokohama s-drives are far better imo

theyre not far better..... but yes 195's are a more coomon size so give you better choice and speaking from experience theres very little between t1-r and f1's i cant vouch for the the yoko's s-drives but my experience of them is they have no 'progressive' limit they'll just let go with very little warning

the yoko's s-drives but my experience of them is they have no 'progressive' limit they'll just let go with very little warning

I've never tried them on the front but on the back they seem spot on they will break grip before the f1's which is why i use them on the back but I seem to be able to feel when they are about to give up and they are easily held at the point where you can tighten your line with a little lift I rate f1's far higher than proxies though in the dry there isn't much between them but in the wet the f1's are by far the better tyre also the f1 performs well from cold wheras the toyo's don't seem to catch on until you get some heat into them (possibly their downfall in the wet)

I've bought the Proxes in the end. I think the final view I took was that VW recommend this fitment and thus it's best for the car, otherwise it would have stated otherwise in the documents :coffee:

I just wish there was more options available in the 205/45/15 range. . . . . . gap in the market hmmmm

*starting my powerpoint presentation for dragons den :lol: *

Sam

Its not so much a recomendation more an o.e. spec so that the instruments and ABS are calibrated correctly. Theres nothing stopping you changing the tyre size (within reason, dont put tractor tyres on lol) and it shouldnt adversley affect the cars mechanicals it just means the accuracy of instruments and systems.

i agree with the eagle f1's beeing fantastic in the wet nothing even comes close to their wet weather grip. but enjoy the t1-r's as theyre a brilliant tyre. But to be truthfully honest as much as i like the f1's (are on my car at the moment) the better feedback from the toyo's is better for driving on the limit. But like its allready been said they have a soft compound and wear out very quickly!

Edited by Toi gulp

I've been using Toyo T1R's for a few years now. I go through the fronts in about 3-4 months (i'm doing 20k a year). I drive my cars hard and I need a good gripping tyre to keep me on the road. I've used F1's but didn't rate them that much and are back to T1R's. I've just ordered 2 yesterday for my nicely referbed wheels.

Had them put on the front today and it's a big difference! I'm going to have to take it steady for the next few miles so that they wear in ;)

Makes the wheels look alot more meaty B)

Sam

New better tyres on front old ****ty tyres on the rear good luck and enjoy :)

i had these put on after my dunflops and it was a massive improvment.

We went round a round about just after i got them fitted and i gave it abit of a flick with the wheel and the missus nutted the window. so theres plenty of grip lol

i had these put on after my dunflops and it was a massive improvment.

We went round a round about just after i got them fitted and i gave it abit of a flick with the wheel and the missus nutted the window. so theres plenty of grip lol

or your missus has weak neck muscles lol