Lightweight pulleys and flywheel??

tttttada

Me too

I never see any Lightweight pulley from other country but Taiwan.

Is it good for GTI?

Not much is known about leightweight flywheels for the GTI.... Wait until CasperGTI has his car goin to find out if LW flywhels are a good idea on these engines.

L/W pulleys..... Taiwan.... Not a good idea!

Ill keep you posted. I took 1KG off the flywheel, think ill have the car on the road tues/weds next week to see what its really like.

From the pottering around before i had the ecu changed even with the paddle clutch, it wasnt that difficult to pull away and the car maintained a good and constant idle, so its looking like it was a good idea at the moment.

John

• 2 years later...

I lightened the hell out of mine myself on a lathe. I turned the thicker outside diameter down to match the thinner part of the flywheel where the holes are for the bolts.

If you're gonna do it that way, make sure you clock it up using a dti otherwise it'll run out of balance and IT WILL WRECK YOUR BOTTOM END! I know this as my mate did it on his 20XE.

Definitely a worthwhile mod! It revs up much quicker than a standard one, with no noticeable loss of torque. It also made the VVTI much more noticable when it kicks in (more vtec like). Idle wasn't affected, although it might be slightly more difficult to set off. Not that i noticed this, but everyone who has ever driven my car has said it's hard to set off smoothly.

I'm also waiting for some big chunks of ally to be delivered too, so i can have a crack at making some pulleys.

Again, we made a power steering and alternator pulley on the lathe for the redtop, but i used steel. Each one was about 3/4 the weight of the standard pulley and made no difference what so ever to the running.

Edited by Cooper_GTI

before you go changing the crank pulley make sure it is not dampened ie rubber layer visible from the side as this is there to reduce shock to the crankshaft / i believe most engines have this and if so leave well alone .