How to change the fuel filter?

Haven't done it on my Lupo or Arosa, but on my MK3 Polo.

It was an inline fuel filter near the tank. I used a couple of pipe clamps to hold the fuel back, then loosed the jubilee clips. Remove filter, clean\tidied hose ends and fitted new filter with new jubilee clips.

Could it still be that simple?

They arent even jubileed on. If you look under you rear O/S wheel youll see it. They are merely 2 rubber hoses push popped onto the fuel filter. Clamp both ends gently and twist wiggle the fuel filter off. There is a little pressure in the line to help it off but watch out as the filter will still be full of fuel and the lines/filter have the tendency to squirt fuel in ur eyes when you unclip them. Once the old fuel filter is off its just a case of push popping the new one on. I added a couple of jubilee clips on afterwards to make sure it isnt likely to come off in the future, unclamp it and jobs a good un.

I advice wearing old clothes and putting plenty of old newspaper down as it can be quite messy. When i did mine the floor looked like a newsagents. I live next to some lakes and the oldies get really anal about the environment.

Good luck B)

thank you for the super quick replies, i had an idea it was that kind of method, i had just heard from a friend that it would be much more complex, but from your descriptions it seems to be fairly straight forward 8)

I will attempt to do it when the fuel is getting towards the reserve, because if i am unfortunate to replace it incorrectly, i dont want to be losing £20-30 worth of fuel all over my garage floor lol!

Thanks again, chris

Make sure the car has not been started for about 2 hours as otherwise there will be high pressure in the line and fuel will go everywhere!

I have done mine a couple of times now and do it once the car has sat in the garage over night..........loosen the filter from the bracket, rag over it and container to hand.

Squeeze and slide hose off the engine side first and conect to new filter............then squeeze and slide off the second hose that is the tailgate end and connect that to the matching side of the new filter.

Arrow on filter points towards the engine!

Turn ignition without starting engine to prime and turn off........then turn again to prime and start.

Job Done

• Like 1

Just as Mike said... You have to pinch and pull quite hard to get the filter out.

I don't know where you would put Jubilee clips.

Don't do it on a painted floor or carpet... do it on the drive unless you are married.

better yet find the fuse for the fuel pump, (fusebox between steering column and door) pull it out and try and turn the engine over until it wont have any of it anymore.

the line is now free from fuel mostly but you will get a little dribble then like others have said just pull it out (can take a little gentle encouragement) and then be sure to put the new one in the right way around!

Edited by Toi gulp

...the tendency to squirt fuel in ur eyes when you unclip them.

You are no fun. I was waiting for the "sh*t! I can't see sh*t as i have fuel in my eyes" thread.

...actually, I forgot this bit and you reminded me...

safety-goggles-emoticon.gif

The time on my Polo MKIII GTwas most likely before most of you were born and fuel injection was in it's infancy.

I learn't from my mistake and for the record I didn't really get fuel in my eyes, but this place would be boring without a bit of poetic licence.

Carry on I'm back to listen to Radio2.

:(

hardly any fuel came out for me, its a peice of cake, greenson ring me if u need help

agreed. ive done it on many a car and the only part that isnt even hard but more f*cking annoying is the removing of the clips. the most fuel i have lost is just the amount the filter held , even still i just poured it back in via the filler cap :lol:

• 3 years later...

my lupo has been off the road for some while as the release bearing colapsed. eventually got it carried to mothers house where all my tools were by AA, got it all sorted fired it up and it ran ok. then noticed my entire fuel tank on the garage floor... checked it out and the fuel filter was cracked. Is there any common reason or i think it had been hit or something whilst getting strapped to flat bed truck?

• 6 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 5/26/2019 at 7:45 PM, johnny munro said:

Hello guys and girls I have tried to fit a fuel filter on my 2000 1.4 polo ,I butchered 1 of the clips I have put the pipe on with a small jubilee clip is this safe and will it stay on any help would be great thanks johnny.

I would say a jubilee clip will be fine.