BMC CDa vs BMC DIA vs Halfords CF induction kit

Drew

Hi,

Ok been looking into getting a BMC kit for a while now, and a BMC DIA has come up that i may be interested in.

I've been searching for a while now and i cant really make out what the difference is between the dia and cda.

I know the obvious reason as the CDA is carbon, but does it really justify the price tag it holds? I know its carbon and slightly bigger but as long as there is a good cold air feed, wouldnt the DIA do the job?

I have a GTI btw, it would still fit with the correct hose right? Would it just require a 70mm 90 degree bend?

I then nipped into halfrods on the weekend and they do a cf kit for £40 and look exactly like the BMC CDA, im tempted by this also.

I know at the end of the day its not going to make much difference, just wondered if people have any experiences on the above?

Cheers

The CDA is the best to get as the carbon fiber part sheilds the air inside from the engine heat so it ensures a good cold air supply.

The DIA works in exactly the same way as the CDA but doesn't have the sheilding so will not give you the best air into the air intake.

As for the halfords one, any induction kit for £40 should be avoided if you ask me, it'll probably have a crap filter in it which will either flow the same amount of air as standard or possibly less and won't aid your performance any as it will have little or no heat sheilding at all.

Hope thats helped :)

Fair enough on the halfords filter, but im not convinced on the CF.....

Surely if there is a good air supply it wont make that much of a difference right? Just thinking there more than double the price for something very similar, dont get me wrong i'd get a cda if one came up cheap enough but im in two minds at the mo.

I know there bigger so i presume it will push more air through?

What size pipe will i need? 70mm or 70mm to 68mm?

THanks for the info

Cold air is crucial when it come to induction kits. Cold air is denser than hot air thus contains more oxygen and creates more power when mixed with your fuel and ignited.

I know they are pretty pricey but from what I've heard they are worth it. I can't comment on performance as I can't stretch to the price of one just now either, I'm having to make do with a K&N panel filter at the moment :(

Fair enough on the halfords filter, but im not convinced on the CF.....

Surely if there is a good air supply it wont make that much of a difference right? Just thinking there more than double the price for something very similar, dont get me wrong i'd get a cda if one came up cheap enough but im in two minds at the mo.

What size pipe will i need? 70mm or 70mm to 68mm?

THanks for the info

BMC is proven for gains when coupled with an exhaust.

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/rollingroad/r...o_23.02.07.html

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/page.php?xPag...upo_291108.html

whats the dollars per bhp for one of these compared to that of a good panel filter replacement in the standard air box.

You might end up paying £150 more for all of 1 or 2 bhp

You might end up paying £150 more for all of 1 or 2 bhp

TBH thats naturally aspirated tuning for you. ;)

Its not all about peak power though, its more about how it drives and what's under the graph that matters.

Throttle body is the restrictive part.

Not the air filter.

I don't care what anyone says, I don't think a filter can make your car faster.

But the engine breathing is important!

Just use the original airbox with an uprated panel filter as its is not restrictive at all............many tests have been done on it with positive outcomes.

I have K&N panel filter in the standard airbox that I have smoothed inside. I also frilled a few holes in one particular area and took a cold air feed from the front grill to the holes to prevent heat soak.................works a treat on my GTI and you gety a nice growl too!

Edited by Mike_M

lets be honest the bmc cda is going to be alot better then a 40 pound halfords one. the bmc is made for like track use isnt it and surely if it didnt make that much difference then everyone would just buy the halfords one. but then again its what you can afford i suppose.

tarrier.

Ive used both,with a cat back system

k&n in the standard airbox,and a bmc

tbh theres no difference,except the bmc gives a nice growl at 3k ish rpm(a lot of money for a little sound) :thumbdown:

in my opinion get a decent panel filter with a decent cold air feed and save your cash !!!

i wish i had :censored:

Dont fall for the claims though..... a CDA may get cold air into the engine (assuming you can make the intake track as short as possible). But equally a large cone filter can allow a bigger volume of air through it at a potentially higher speed as the airflow isnt determined by the casing and ducting etc, plus the engine will have a much better capacity for sucking in air from a multitude of directions. Add a couple of cold air feeds and your sorted!

this is what mine put out with just a CDA...

dyno-lupo-gti-bmc-cda70-130.jpg

But thats the same as this one with no mods...

bagaroz.jpg

Has anyone done a RR and then fitted the BMC and done another run on the same RR? Thats the only way to tell

Not that I know of.

Thats why I still don't believe the claims.

But my memory is rubbish.

So don't believe a word i say :lol:

All I know is my car sounds good with an induction kit.

So I have one.

Could anyone on her tell the difference in a car with 126bhp and 130bhp?

I doubt it.

Sorry my internet has been playing up, Tiscali are useless!

Anywho, decisions deciions eh?

Will have to review the situation, will give the halfrauds one a miss!

Just got hold of a raceland mani, so i'll defo have to get the breathing sorted anyway

Cheers for the info people.

If anyone is selling there BMC/pannel filter for a gti give me a pm

Cheers

But thats the same as this one with no mods...

bagaroz.jpg

Has anyone done a RR and then fitted the BMC and done another run on the same RR? Thats the only way to tell

I feel that i must add that this was when it was misfiring, so i wouldn't take it as gospel. When i got it RR'd again its produced 123bhp @ the wheels, with no mods

what would a bmc be like on a 1.4tdi? any better as its turbo'd and any worse as its diesel?

i realy dont know what im on about!

any input would be nice as im hopefully getting a tdi in the next couple of months

cheers