Removing the Door Mirrors!

Loophole

Can anyone out there tell me how to take the door mirrors completely off, to install new ones?? I can take the covers and the mirror glass out but then I am stuck??? Can Anybody help???

no, I have removed plastic from inside and outside! they all have some sort of restriction. I think the only way to do it is to get the star key and take off the cables from the outside in??? Trying to find the previous post!!!

nice one, apprecate it. I will soon be able to put on my m3 style chrome mirrors!! Pictures will follow soon, and I will slap em all on my website soon. I got a site coming soon, my lupo.co.uk will be pics of my car from day 1 at the dealer off the truck to having suspension, gti interior, body kit, wheels, exhaust etc. done. Cheers Geezers!!!

Denied! No instructions for removing the mirror as a whole, only the housing, which you've already managed to do.

Best I can do is give you the assembly overview - I'm assuming this is for manual mirrors, not electric...

mirrors.gif border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

1. Adjustment control

2. Mirror housing

3. Mirror glass

4. Door

5. Nut

6. Spreader clip (3)

7. Cover (pull off door frame at right angles)

8. Sealing collar

9. Operating knob (pushed onto control)

I hope that will give you some clues - sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

yeah, thanks for that, it helps a little, better than a kick in the teeth, I will just have to have another look tomorrow! Cheers Snoop!!

Ok, took mirrors off, after snapping one of them. The way to take them off, if anyone ever needs to know is to take off inside cover, then pull out a triangluar looking piece of foam and there is a large bolt in there to take out and the mirror will drop out! All you have to do then is pull the oouter cover, on the outside of car and pull motor or cabling through! Bit of a messy job, but I am glad its done now!!!

• 10 years later...

Ten year old thread, good going. Nice to know the search fuction works!

Looks like you just need to unplug the cable inside the door. It's a bit fiddly as the connector is mounted behing the metal area above the speaker. You have to feel around with your hand, tilt the connector to pull it out of it's mounting bracket, and bring it to the opening so you can see to disconnect it.