smoking steering wheel

as i started my car after finishing work, i noticed a burning smell, followed by a load of smoke coming from my steering column.

i turned the car off and waited a few mins before trying again, it was fine then and i got home no problems! anybody have any idea what this could be? quite scary!!

cheers

Not too sure, but I did remember reading a similar post from a member on here about a year or two ago.

Can't find it though!!

Edit: After USING the search function i found this:

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?sho...&hl=burning

Edited by jeyesh

changed fuse for wipers a few weeks ago...

when i told my brother the first thing he said was indicator stalk, although they worked fine?!?!

hmmmm, i will keep an eye on it, makes me feel a little better knowing its happened before!

thanks for your replies!

Katie

This happened to me before, its nothing to worry about normally, its usually caused by dust building up in the joint where the electrical slip ring is in the steering wheel. Its probably just caught a load of dust in the contact and burnt it.

John

This happened to me before, its nothing to worry about normally, its usually caused by dust building up in the joint where the electrical slip ring is in the steering wheel. Its probably just caught a load of dust in the contact and burnt it.

John

phew! seems to be one thing after another at the moment!

i havent tried it again since, fingers crossed she starts behaving!

phew! seems to be one thing after another at the moment!

i havent tried it again since, fingers crossed she starts behaving!

Hi, I've just gone out in the car and the wipers would not budge and smoke came out from the steering wheel the the fuse blew!

What's going on - The wipers were a bit slow before and its just rained so I had them on on the way to work....

Any ideas anyone?

This also happened to Rob's (robgti) Lupo.. was really random but never happened again lol.

not sure what to do really as it looks like rain and I gotta drive home.....

Changed the fuse and after work will try and work the wipers by hand to see if they are jammed or something and go from there...if not then a drive home in the rain with no wipers!

• 4 years later...