Rust on Roof

s2000king

Hopefully mate, worth a try at least, but if you like the vinyl and it hides the rust then leave it, but if you come to sell it and then take the vinyl roof off then it will be tere for all to see, so its up to you at the end of the day!!! :D

Keep us updated!!!

Cheers, James.

I contacted VW about a little bit of rust / corrosion on my drivers door under the mirror,

Sent VW photos but said they wasn't good enough, So they then said I have to go to the dealership, but on the phone he was saying it looked like surface rust and that doesnt fall under the 12 year corrosion warranty, And as that dealership is prob a hour drive I dont want to go down there for nothing but I want it done, Do you think im right in thinking I can claim of the 12 year warrany? If no luck with write a nice letter to head office cheers.

I contacted VW about a little bit of rust / corrosion on my drivers door under the mirror,

Sent VW photos but said they wasn't good enough, So they then said I have to go to the dealership, but on the phone he was saying it looked like surface rust and that doesnt fall under the 12 year corrosion warranty, And as that dealership is prob a hour drive I dont want to go down there for nothing but I want it done, Do you think im right in thinking I can claim of the 12 year warrany? If no luck with write a nice letter to head office cheers.

Well, the 12 year corrosion warranty covers rust that appears to be bubbling up from under the paint work, which then signifies a manufacturing defect, but if there is rust being caused by a scratch then it is not covered, so you might be lucky depending on the circumstances on the origins of the rust.

Good luck, feel free to ask any more questions.

Cheers, James. :)

Edited by s2000king

Well, the 12 year corrosion warranty covers rust that appears to be bubbling up from under the paint work, which then signifies a manufacturing defect, but if there is rust being caused by a scratch then it is not covered, so you might be lucky depending on the circumstances on the origins of the rust.

Good luck, feel free to ask any more questions.

Cheers, James. :)

Cheers for reply looks to be its bubbling under the paint as there is bubbles and paint is still intact,

Dont think its from a scratch as its right under the wind mirror so chances of scratching there is low,

Will let you know more when i hear something. Cheers

Cheers, would be interesting to hear how you get on as i haven't heard of any other places that are a problem on the Lupo apart from the roof, rear wheel arches and around the boot handles, which have also been covered by the warranty.

Let me know!!!!

Cheers, James.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, i read this toppic a while back so gave the lupo a once over and happened to find about 5 bubbling spots on the roof, a few on each side panel(the one's that goes around the door) and the small strip inbetween them. So i took it down to a local vw garage (swansea, south Wales) and i had a phone call about 2 weeks later saying they'ed do the job. Iv now arranged to take the car down on the 18/01/2010 and they said they'd give me a courtesy car too:D. One question, does anyone now if they respray the whole car or just the effected area's? As they said it would take 2 weeks to do the job and as i have no idea how long it takes to paint panels i was just wondering if its the whole thing because 2 weeks seems like a fair bit of time:/. Anyway thanks to S2000King for making this thread otherwise i wouldnt of notised :rolleyes: and thanks for any reply's to the question, il let you know how the job goes:)

Well, first of all the names James buddy, no need for the formalities of forum names lol, but the thread made itself from peoples stories tbh, thanks regardless. With regards to your case, i am very glad to hear that it is being done for you. My particular car was in longer for 2 weeks and had the roof and sides profesionally repainted (excluding doors) mainly because my rust was on both sides of the gutter and it would be easier to paint the whole side instead of patching and ending up with a dodgy paint work. In the mean time i hope your courtesy car is better than the Matiz i ended up with!!!! :D

Hope this helps!!

Cheers, James.

Ah right, well i hope they do the full panel, it looks tatty when cars have been blendid in and you can see the diffrence in colour. Sounds like i hade exactly the same effected areas as you then. When i spoke to vw when arranrging a date they said i would be having a polo so hopfully it should be a tidy car:)(fingers crossed)

Il let you know how it gets on.

thanks again

Rhys

Ah right, brill, well i hope all goes well, the body shop was a VW certified bodyshop so not a genuine one and all they had left was a Matiz which still makes me cringe even now lol

Keep us updated bud!! :)

Cheers, James.

• 1 month later...

Charlies taking ours (sorry I mean hers) down this afternoon for initial punch up, Mr Big guns will go down at weekend and give them a very loud "IM NOT HAPPY WITH YOU POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE" so all the nice ladies and gents can hear in the show room and see how that goes down

Charlies taking ours (sorry I mean hers) down this afternoon for initial punch up, Mr Big guns will go down at weekend and give them a very loud "IM NOT HAPPY WITH YOU POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE" so all the nice ladies and gents can hear in the show room and see how that goes down

Amazing, give them some stick, what went wrong??

Cheers, James.

• 3 weeks later...

i noticed the same rust problem on my roof so i took my local vw haysleden doncaster and they pointed me to their bodyshop at thurnscoe,rotherham. I went down last tuesday he took sum piccys and rote up a job card and sent it off to their head office and he got bk to me friday to give me the thums up, so its goin in on monday the 8th march and im getting a free courtesy car aswell lol il update with before and after pics