Rust on Roof

s2000king

Just spoke to parkway VW at derby. Going in next week for them to have a look. i think they are going to try and pull a fast one with me as iv had paint on other parts of the car and it has the roof wrap.

Its safe to say they wont beat me in an argument and it will be done...

• Like 1

Just spoke to parkway VW at derby. Going in next week for them to have a look. i think they are going to try and pull a fast one with me as iv had paint on other parts of the car and it has the roof wrap.

Its safe to say they wont beat me in an argument and it will be done...

Which parts are rusty?

Which parts are rusty?

none of the car is rusty... there are some bubbles on the top by the runners. It probably is rust underneith but its just bubbled the paint at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

none of the car is rusty... there are some bubbles on the top by the runners. It probably is rust underneith but its just bubbled the paint at the moment.

Forgot about this. Yeah i was gonna day i would have been surprised to hear there's rust on your paintwork cos it looks reeeally clean in your build thread.

• Like 1

Forgot about this. Yeah i was gonna day i would have been surprised to hear there's rust on your paintwork cos it looks reeeally clean in your build thread.

Thanks mate :) it could be cleaner. Got a few bits to sort here and there.

Never bothered going to vw in the end. I'm going to have a lot more work done at ultimate car care in the near future so I will just get Matt to sort it whilst it's there.

I heard back from VW today and they won't respray my rood under warranty as the car is too old or some crap - which is funny seing as it is 11 years old and the anti-corrosion warranty runs for 12 years! grrrr so angry :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just gave mine it's first proper clean since I've owned it (November). I had already seen some rust on the roof when I bought it but spotted a fair bit around the car now I've been right up close to it. Mostly just bubbling but so far I've seen...

• Bubbling on drivers front arch
  • Bubbling on pass rear arch
  • Bubbling along the length of both sills
  • Numerous bubble patches along both roof gutters
  • Bubbling around tailgate handle

Seems it will be rust that kills these cars off. The sills are my main concern. Bubbling under the paint usually means the metal behind isn't in great shape. Guess I will just have to wait and see what the MOT testers think. Shame, as even though the paintwork on mine isn't in the best condition, it does still look nice once clean. Once the rust starts coming through, it will look a right mess... Ah well. Maybe i'll rat it out :thumbup:

• 2 months later...

Some rust/paint bubbling starting on mine. Went into dealer today to get the bodyshop to quote me for repairs and roof repaint. Waiting to hear what the damage might be.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mine has two medium size bits of rust in the roof gutter or whatever it's called and is now out of warranty. When I say medium sized, I'd say they're the size of a tennis ball. The paintwork hasn't come off, it's just bubbled. I don't like to touch it because I'll fetch the paint off I imagine.

An independent garage has quoted me £160 to sort both of them. Is this normal? High? Low? I'm quite happy to pay to get it cleaned up :)

Has anyone tried fixing this themselves or is it a nightmare? Sanding down a patch and respraying?

£160 sounds alright to me, Skezza. I haven't got any quotes, but had been imagining higher than that.

I've got one patch on the roof gutter. It's a real shame as the rest of the paintwork is pretty good.

Edited by ZombieJosh