Rust on Roof

s2000king

i got a phoneall saying it was rejected saying it has been visable for a long period of time and should have been reported sooner, (i told them i had the car a week, if that, and took it into them??) they said however to go to my local vw and ask them about other models like mine which has had a mechanical fault rather than a paint defect and see what they can do for me? so going to phone them tomoro and explain this again and get her to explain what she means by mechanical fault rather than paint defect. incase some are wondering, dundee vw doesnt have a body shop now so you have to go to audi, hence why i am being told to go to vw again.

phoned audi today to get a better explanation of what took place, basically they said it could have been reported sooner, i explained i reported it the week i got the car and she understood why i wasnt happy with this decision and agreed with me on it, so she told me vw uk had said "However the customer may take the car to VW as there is a TPI (technical product information) for vehicles similar to theres and get it checked for a mechanical fault (a rubbing seal etc) which may have caused the paint to fail", but they may say it never happened on my vehicle, well something did obviously as theres a decent amount of rust there. I will go to VW tomoro if i can and let you all know how it goes.

never heard about them saying this before! this may be them about to admit the whole problem!

like with me your vw/audi person agrees it should be done, but vw uk still saying no.

i reported mine the day i found it and they still say i left it too long?

VW in hull sorted mine fairly quickly and id only had the car just over a week when it was reported. However my mates polo (Same year 2001) seems to have the same issue but he has been told that it is stone chips on his roof that are corroding.

how on earth can u get a stone chip on a roof ffs? it would never have enough angle or velocity to cause any damage to the paintwork at all.

I have heard that polos get the problem too, it must be the rubber strips down the gutter rub their awy thru the paint (design fault)

how on earth can u get a stone chip on a roof ffs? it would never have enough angle or velocity to cause any damage to the paintwork at all.

I have heard that polos get the problem too, it must be the rubber strips down the gutter rub their awy thru the paint (design fault)

Thats exactly what i said. If you remove your roof rails you will find loads of water sitting under there from when you clean your car or it rains etc... this combined with rubbing issues like you said causes it i think. Best to get them out and dry/ polish the gutters every so often, thats what i do anyway.

Hi everyone (anyone)

Update on my visit to Norwich to get my roof looked at Robinsons the main dealer.

Left my car they ordered a taxi to take me into the city (at their cost).

When I returned they said they had taken photos of the rust damage, this would go to the body shop manager for pricing then off to head office, about five weeks.

I explained that there were a lot of negative blogs on club site, they said will not be a problem they had already done four similar cases. The only thing that could stop a case going forwards would be, if the car had had a respray already, not their problem.

Very nice guy to deal with, he welcomes any other cases. Contact Andy Watson at Robinsons Norwich 01603 612111,

Andy said that there were clipsunder the black gutter cover, upon installation these clips scratch paitwork, rust sets in. Strangely on drivers side mainly.

Roll on five weeks.

Edited by sunblindman

This is the only thing that worries me, ive had work done to the bumpers wings etc, so would they then class this as it having a respray?

The roofs never been done on mine so the paint is original...just dont want them wriggling out of anything because ive spent my hard earned money on my car... :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

hey, my SDI is 12 in September. i have some bubbling around boot handle and back of one roof runner area if i went to my dealer and enquired about this does anyone know if they would do it? or just tell me its too old?

Cheers

Hi there,

Fairly Newish to ClubLupo

when I was looking at buying my Lupo Sport I noticed the rust on the roof,

came looking on here and noticed a few people had it done under the body protection warranty.

So when I bought the car I popped down to my Local VW dealer (Chelmsford Inchape) and they've got a proper body shop there and did paint depth's there and then.

The bloke I dealt with was really helpful and said he had done a few Lupo's and endless Mk4 Golf's and TT's which are all from the same era and said the paint depth's showed nothing unexpected.

Couple of weeks later he called me back to say it had been refused and he also tried to put it through to VW on a good will basis and it was refused again.

I'm abit confused where to go from here, as i'd like to get it sorted and just wondered if any one else had experienced similar?

Tom

Loads of ppol have experienced similar, vw seem to be clamping down on repairing lupos. We went to watchdog but nobody heard anything back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

just had VW Wolsey in Ipswich repair my GTI through their approved bodyshop, Rackhams - I had corrosion starting along gutter on drivers rear.

Saga started about 6 weeks ago when I was detailing car and noticed gutter towards rear of drivers side was starting to bubble - I went into Wolsey VW armed with the knowledge from this forum, and they were very helpful - i came back a few days later and was greeted by the bodyshops manager, who photo'd and paint depth checked the area - he did comment the centre section of roof had been previously repainted, but all other paint was orig, and due to the corrosion starting on the outer side of the gutter, it shouldn't be a prob getting it approved. I then waited about 3-4 weeks for a call from VW (i had to chase them up in the end) - was told the claim was still "pending" which was a good sign i was told - got a call a few days later saying they agreed to sort if i contributed 30% towards the total bill - i said o.k., then got a date to book car in - got another call a week odd later saying that they didn't want me coming back in 6 months with the same issue on otherside of roof, so agreed to do the entire roof - i said o.k., dropped my GTI off last monday and was given a Fox to run about in for the week - got a call on friday that car was done - went up and collected and Rackhams have done a lovely job - it's Flash Red and thety have matched it very well (plus valeted the car) - i'm very pleased with the work

oh, and the 30% contribution amounted to a bill of 253 quid...which i can live with as the job has been done to a very high standard (and the roof was marked with old bird sh*t lacquer woes anyway)

..so, bit of hope there guys and girls :)

Good news for you then! was yours a good will gesture then? (cos you have vw service history?) - otherwise i would refuse to pay the money as that is not part of the warranty.

yup, good will gesture Bep - car has a full VAG main dealer history (bar last two services)

knowing full well the price of work from quality bodyshops, i was willing to stump the dollar up - i was convinced from the off they were gonna reject my claim, so not too bad a result i reckon - a compromise, yes; but it was worth the cost in my eyes and the car is damn tidy again :)

yup, good will gesture Bep - car has a full VAG main dealer history (bar last two services)

knowing full well the price of work from quality bodyshops, i was willing to stump the dollar up - i was convinced from the off they were gonna reject my claim, so not too bad a result i reckon - a compromise, yes; but it was worth the cost in my eyes and the car is damn tidy again :)

havent heard of anyone whose had theres done properly recently. I think u should complain. if they feel it is worthy of a good-will gesture, they must have concluded that there was a genuine problem with the car and that they had some guilt over it (as they know it should be done under warrenty) - it would not be the same if i went into vw (if i had full service history) and told them i wanted to repaint my bonnet because of stone chips and that i wanted them to pay 70% towards it. they only do it under good will because it should be done under warranty anyway and they just want to cut there losses by asking you for some money. They assue the customer will think they are being very generous, where they know they should really be paying out fully anyway!

Hmmmm....difficult one this Bep...who should i complain too - VW Head office here in the U.K.? the way i see it is, going through this thread VW don't seem to want to play ball with a lot of owners, and are just rejecting claims - i consider myself lucky-ish that they did it at all...and to be honest, i am strongly thinking about selling up for a R53 Cooper S as i have kinda lost faith with VW after 17 yrs of driving them - the cost of parts on the Lupo GTI is astronomical and a good car it may be, but they just don't build cars like they used too...i regret selling the mint MK1 GTI i had for ten yrs still! you knew where you stood with a MK1; modern VW's just don't cut it in a lot of ways, sadly..i'll either go retro Dub again, or just leave the brand for good - i'm undecided still, that's for sure