Rust on Roof

s2000king

DO you have to have proof of purchase i brought mine from a 92 year old lady and its got damage on the pass side wil this affect gettin the roof done?

Hopefully it shouldn't do, just take it to your dealer and ask if they could take a look at it and don't mention the damage and if they ask about it then just give them the old ladies contact details and they will probably ask her some questions, as long as the damage isn't affecting the roof it shouldn't matter, they are mostly looking for previous damage and a dodgy repair, but you shouldn't have a problem.

Hope this helps.

James.

I Went to VW on riverside, got sent to a VW authorised repairer who then sent me to a VW Commercial vehicles center. He took photos and then measured the thickness of the paint. Said he was going to compile a report and send it to VW in germany for approval.

That was a couple of weeks ago now thought, i need to phone them.

Heya, that was exactly what happened to me, just ring them and im sure it will have been accepted, if not ask them to ring Murry VW in Newton Abbot (who i dealt with) and get them to talk to them cause they accepted my claim no questions asked.

Hope this helps.

James.

I Went to VW on riverside, got sent to a VW authorised repairer who then sent me to a VW Commercial vehicles center. He took photos and then measured the thickness of the paint. Said he was going to compile a report and send it to VW in germany for approval.

That was a couple of weeks ago now thought, i need to phone them.

Where was the garage they finally sent you to please? and do you have a number please? i went to the MK one last time but that a bit of a treck,

I went up to gilders sheffield a few months ago (when we had all the snow). It's up near norton.

I asked while I was there and they said that they didn't do bodywork, I'd have to try another VW, but that it they should do it no issues.

If I can get somewhere to do it, I'm gonna leave a crate of beer in it with a note saying there's another 2 crates if they do a good job of it. And £60 if they spray my bonnet while they have the paint out.

Just read on the website that they have an accident repair place in Hillsborough - that would be the best place to go for.

Edited by cobblers

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like my rust might be returning, ive got bubbles appearing in the same place as it was before so im presuming they didn't treat the problem correctly.....not happy :(

James.

^ :( Thats Crap mate, Take it back as i think they offer 3 year warrenty on there bodywork,

I took mine in and the claim is in, just waiting for the phone call....

Nice one, i couldn't believe it when i saw it, trust me i made a few heated phone calls yesterday :( never mind. Glad yours is getting sorted, hope it turns out better than mine!!!

James.

^ whats the result on yours? are they going to re-do it?

I had a call from VW today saying everything is ok and that the claim will go through, and i will be booked in a few weeks :)

^ whats the result on yours? are they going to re-do it?

I had a call from VW today saying everything is ok and that the claim will go through, and i will be booked in a few weeks :)

They said that because it was a warranty claim i have to go back to the beginning of the whole process again and go back to VW instead of the bodyshop. Complete bunch of w*****s to me on the phone as well acting like a little Lupo didn't matter and had more 'expensive' cars to deal with. Really not happy now :@. Glad yours is going through mate, its nice to get it done and then the people you try to sell the car to in the future can't use it as a haggling point lol :)

James.

I took mine, i think rich was with me. Anyway got a call saying they wouldnt do it because "The rust has been there for some time and should've been reported earlier" I said i've only had the car a few months and he said it was up to the previous owner.

I've had a look at the rust again and there is a nice orange bit the size of your little fingers nail and then the rest is just bubbling - where do i go from here?

Thank-oo

after reading this im tkaing mine in tomo.

rust all alound top windscreen and bubbles down the side.

what do i say?

" hi, ive read online about your 12 yr corrosion warrenty, its slowly got worse so time to report it. "

do i say about on here?

I took mine, i think rich was with me. Anyway got a call saying they wouldnt do it because "The rust has been there for some time and should've been reported earlier" I said i've only had the car a few months and he said it was up to the previous owner.

I've had a look at the rust again and there is a nice orange bit the size of your little fingers nail and then the rest is just bubbling - where do i go from here?

Thank-oo

Tell them to contact my dealer which is Murry VW in Newton Abbot and they should accept it. Don't back down whatever you do because they are probably trying to come up with some excuse to not do it as it costs the dealer money, well that is what mine said ayway.

Good luck and i hope this helps.

James.

after reading this im tkaing mine in tomo.

rust all alound top windscreen and bubbles down the side.

what do i say?

" hi, ive read online about your 12 yr corrosion warrenty, its slowly got worse so time to report it. "

do i say about on here?

I would say exactly that mate and if they say no then just tell them to contact Murry VW in newton Abbot who dealt with my claim and they should then except it.

Hope this helps.

James.

I would say exactly that mate and if they say no then just tell them to contact Murry VW in newton Abbot who dealt with my claim and they should then except it.

Hope this helps.

James.

I had same problem with my old a3. first dealer wasnt very helpful so i phoned another and they sent someone to my house, next thing its in for re painting. With the roof the only thing they could say about the front by windscreen is its not uncommon for paint to be damaged by poor windscreen replacements or stonechipping.

I had same problem with my old a3. first dealer wasnt very helpful so i phoned another and they sent someone to my house, next thing its in for re painting. With the roof the only thing they could say about the front by windscreen is its not uncommon for paint to be damaged by poor windscreen replacements or stonechipping.

Yeh i know what you mean mate, i just don't want people to miss out on this just because of some dealer saying no, they are just the middle men in this situation and there opinion on the roof means jack to be honest lol, luckily i got a nice dealer and they are going to repaint my roof for a second time now and at a paint shop of my choice, better luck this time round as they say lol.

James.

I have 3 or 4 small patches bubbling all the gutter bits on the roof, along the top of the windscreen, the bottom of my passenger door the size of a 2p and in the corner of my drivers door sill by the wing mirror.

It bubbling under the paint, not orange or anything yet but its obv going to lead to rust coming through at a later stage. Would this still count as corrosion and worth me telling them what you lot have said or will they fob me off saying it would be under the paint work warrenty which has run out?

I have 3 or 4 small patches bubbling all the gutter bits on the roof, along the top of the windscreen, the bottom of my passenger door the size of a 2p and in the corner of my drivers door sill by the wing mirror.

It bubbling under the paint, not orange or anything yet but its obv going to lead to rust coming through at a later stage. Would this still count as corrosion and worth me telling them what you lot have said or will they fob me off saying it would be under the paint work warrenty which has run out?

Heya,

Mine was exactly the same as yours, except not as many patches as that lol, but the rust hadnt broken the paint work and they still accepted mine so if they try to fob you off quote this thread, even print it out if you have to, and tell them to contact the dealer that i dealt with which is Murry VW in Newton Abbot and you should be ok, but i am sure they will accept it anyway.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, James.

Heya,

Mine was exactly the same as yours, except not as many patches as that lol, but the rust hadnt broken the paint work and they still accepted mine so if they try to fob you off quote this thread, even print it out if you have to, and tell them to contact the dealer that i dealt with which is Murry VW in Newton Abbot and you should be ok, but i am sure they will accept it anyway.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, James.

Thanks! Will do that then, see how I get on, and report back ;)

Thanks! Will do that then, see how I get on, and report back ;)

Good luck and the trick is to not back down and they will give in eventually!!!!

Don't forget to report back!!!! ;)

James.

I'm gonna give my friend at VW a ring tomorrow I think & see if they'll do mine under warranty.

Definitely worth a try Nicki, ive been meaning to ask a mod, if i change the first post to loads of info on what to do and such, can this thread get stickyed as i think it could be quite useful to some people. Let me know what you think.

James.

Mine is all booked in! I even get a courtesy car!!

Awesome mate, i don't even get a courtesy car with mine unless i switch my insurance off the Lupo and onto the dreaded Matiz again......no thanks lol, good luck with it all and don't forget to report back when the work is done.

Cheers, James.