Rust on Roof

s2000king

I've got a patch of bubbly paint on my roof... but when I spoke to my local dealership they claimed that the warranty only covers perforation... :blink:

Let me know how you get on though, as I'll definitely be taking mine in & insisting they sort it for me if you manage to get it done foc.

Let me just check before I go into the dealership

I Have rust on my roof above the windscreen, it makes my car leak when it rains, Is this covered by the 12 year corrosion guarantee?

What are the criteria for getting this done? Someone mentioned a full VW service history, but others say its not necessary?

Cheers

Let me just check before I go into the dealership

I Have rust on my roof above the windscreen, it makes my car leak when it rains, Is this covered by the 12 year corrosion guarantee?

What are the criteria for getting this done? Someone mentioned a full VW service history, but others say its not necessary?

Cheers

I took mine in and they needed a full service history and the phone numbers of previous owners to check for accident damage and an independent assessor checks it over as well, hope this helps.

well worth doing.

I've got a patch of bubbly paint on my roof... but when I spoke to my local dealership they claimed that the warranty only covers perforation... :blink:

Let me know how you get on though, as I'll definitely be taking mine in & insisting they sort it for me if you manage to get it done foc.

I suggest that you print this thread off and show it to your dealer and get them to ring Newton Abbot Murry Volkswagen who i dealt with and they are going to do it for free without courtesy car so get on it and demand it in my opinion. Good luck and don't give in.

Hope this helps Nicki. :)

I went to my local dealership only to find out that they don't do bodywork and such there, but I got the guy to have a look and he said it'd be well worth going to another dealership to enquire about it. I'll get round to it sometime soon :P

I went to my local dealership only to find out that they don't do bodywork and such there, but I got the guy to have a look and he said it'd be well worth going to another dealership to enquire about it. I'll get round to it sometime soon :P

Mine didn't either, but they are picking up my car on a flat bed on monday and taking it 60 miles away to the nearest VW approved body shop, you should also demand that they do it at a VW approved body shop, don't let the stealer win lol, im getting way to into this lol ;)

mines bubbling in the gutters too. my pedal box broke the other day and when i asked if vw would fix it on goodwill they said that they wouldnt do it because i didnt have full service history. will they say the same thing about the paint?

any help would be ace. anyone else not got full service history but had it done by vw?

mines bubbling in the gutters too. my pedal box broke the other day and when i asked if vw would fix it on goodwill they said that they wouldnt do it because i didnt have full service history. will they say the same thing about the paint?

any help would be ace. anyone else not got full service history but had it done by vw?

I think the service history is pretty vital, but if you arm yourself with the names and numbers of previous numbers then you might have a chance, but let me know how you get on if you try!!! :)

They will sort the bubbling regardless of service history, provided the car has not been resprayed IIRC

Trust me, its better to have some than none, makes life a whole lot easier. :)

I spent and hour and a half on the phone last week trying to sort my rusty gutters out... I called VW UK who gave me my local stealership number... they gave me their bodyshop number, who told me to call another stealership, who couldn't help, and they finally gave me the number of the main stealership in Cambridge... not holding out much hope, I called them and the lady there was really helpful - she said nothing about full vw service history, just that they'd to a "dis report" and take photographs and then let me know in a couple of weeks.... I'm going tomorrow morning, so here's hoping they'll be able to sort it out as both sides of my roof are bubbling :(

Edited by Dub-Diva

I spent and hour and a half on the phone last week trying to sort my rusty gutters out... I called VW UK who gave me my local stealership number... they gave me their bodyshop number, who told me to call another stealership, who couldn't help, and they finally gave me the number of the main stealership in Cambridge... not holding out much hope, I called them and the lady there was really helpful - she said nothing about full vw service history, just that they'd to a "dis report" and take photographs and then let me know in a couple of weeks.... I'm going tomorrow morning, so here's hoping they'll be able to sort it out as both sides of my roof are bubbling :(

It all sounds pretty promising, my dealership did the same and mine qualified, they picked up the loop today infact, so good luck tomorrow and let me know how you get on, btw, the service history didnt need to be VW just full with me, but other dealers might be different.

All the best, James.

been waiting a few weeks to hear back about mine now think i will call in on my dealership tomor :huh:

I would if i were you, it really shouldn't take much longer than a week, two weeks max so get onto it if i were you!!! :)

It all sounds pretty promising, my dealership did the same and mine qualified, they picked up the loop today infact, so good luck tomorrow and let me know how you get on, btw, the service history didnt need to be VW just full with me, but other dealers might be different.

All the best, James.

mines had a respray on the front bumper, but this wont affect the claim if the rust is on the roof will it?

mines had a respray on the front bumper, but this wont affect the claim if the rust is on the roof will it?

Nope shouldn't do, but id check with the dealer to be sure, but still worth a try if you ask me!!!!! :)

I would keep quiet about the respray to the bumper. They propably wont notice. As soon as you say it had paintwork they will throw the claim out straight away. If they bring it up then explain it was only to the bumper.

I would keep quiet about the respray to the bumper. They propably wont notice. As soon as you say it had paintwork they will throw the claim out straight away. If they bring it up then explain it was only to the bumper.

Sounds like a better plan, but was the respray due to an accident if you dont mind me asking??

Sounds like a better plan, but was the respray due to an accident if you dont mind me asking??

it was done by the previous owner i think. the wing has a few lines in the paint as if the filler hasnt been sanded correctly and there is a dull patch on the lower part of the door. bumper looks ok but its easier to say bumper than wing and door.

it was done by the previous owner i think. the wing has a few lines in the paint as if the filler hasnt been sanded correctly and there is a dull patch on the lower part of the door. bumper looks ok but its easier to say bumper than wing and door.

Id keep it guiet then if i were you, it shouldn't matter because it doesn't effect the roof, the guys that looked at mine were seeing if the roof had been painted and thts it, but don't quote me on it if they check yours differently cause it seems like all the dealers are different in the matter. Hope this helps.

All the best, James.

Just heard from the bodyshop today that when they stripped the paint back they discovered a hell of a lot of rust and it was the worst they had seen in a long time and won't be completed until Tuesday, 1 week after they started so yeh, sounds like they are doing a good job on it, but means im stuck with the Matiz for 3 more days, but who cares its all free!!!!!!!!!! :):):)

Just heard from the bodyshop today that when they stripped the paint back they discovered a hell of a lot of rust and it was the worst they had seen in a long time and won't be completed until Tuesday, 1 week after they started so yeh, sounds like they are doing a good job on it, but means im stuck with the Matiz for 3 more days, but who cares its all free!!!!!!!!!! :):):)

you mean they are not paying you to drive the matiz? i wouldnt drive one for free! lol

you mean they are not paying you to drive the matiz? i wouldnt drive one for free! lol

Don't worry mate, i havn't drivin it once since they gave it to me......rather get the bus to college than turn up in one of those lol :P

Got my car back a couple of days ago and it looks nearly new, really good professional job and well worth doing so get it done and tell anyone else with a similar problem because it could save you guite a bit of cash!!!!!!! :D