Rust on Roof

s2000king

Right , i have now had all of my warranty work completed successfully at Newton Abbot Murry VW. This thread has a whole bunch of info and stories from other members that will be of use to some people as well as info on how to get the warranty work done. It seems so far the only part that this warranty covers is the Roof, but there are some other areas that are also covered. The warranty lasts for 12 years after the date the car was first registered, so it is worth chasing up asap as this won't be around for much longer. Below you will find a list of all the dealers that has either performed the work or not. This list was composed by the member Bikerz to which many thanks are due. Also bellow is a statement from VW provided by akbarirfan, to which, again, many thanks are due.

Once again, if anyone needs any more info, please don't hesitate to contact me via PM and i will do my best to help.

VW statement:

Body protection warranty

All current Volkswagen vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against through corrosion for 12 years from the date of first registration (6 years for the Sharan models).

The only preconditions are:

The defect must be reported to a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network as soon as it is discovered and within the warranty period.

The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance or by external rusting.

A member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network must be advised about any rusting as soon as it is found.

All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer's specification and procedures, using only approved parts and materials, so the original level of anti-corrosion protection is maintained.

Taken from: http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warranty/factory/terms

Thanks again akbarirfan!!

Here is the list:

Right, name and shame time!

List of which dealerships will do it and which wont.

Won't

Gloucester,

Stoke,

Solihul,

Batley,

Newbury.

Will

Norwich,

Sheffield,

Murray Volkswagen, Newton Abbot,

Wrexham,

Spirit Volkswagen, Leamington Spa.

Thanks Bikerz!!!!!

Here is my original post:

I had rust bubbling through on the gutter type parts on the roof and took it to my dealership today and they are going to investigate it, it doesn't have accident damage or anything and i was wondering if i had a chance of the claim under the 12 year corrosion guarantee and if anyone else has this problem and succeeded with a claim, thanks everyone!!!!!

Cheers, James.

Edited by s2000king
  • Like 3

Dude, that must have sucked for him, luckily for me i know the people at my local VW dealership and they won't mess me around cuase if they do there will be hell to pay lol, but yeh looks promising that it'll get done for free then so not all bad!!!! :)

Guest LupoJoe

Thank god iv'e seen this thread, ill take mine back to vw now as ive got the exact same problem, i was going to go to a bodyshop but ill give vw a try and see if theyl fix it for free

realy bugged me aswell

just cheered me up no end :D

Thank god iv'e seen this thread, ill take mine back to vw now as ive got the exact same problem, i was going to go to a bodyshop but ill give vw a try and see if theyl fix it for free

realy bugged me aswell

just cheered me up no end :D

Same happened to me, i saw someone mention it and i went to the dealership and are looking into it now, but im glad i have potentially saved you a few quid!!!!! :P

I've just had mine done at a dealership in Norwich.

They were more than helpful and got a courtesy car too!

Wow I'm taking court procedings on my local VW garage as they wont fix the problem for free

Its costing me £250 for the rust and full repray, bill being sent direct to VW with a nice letter saying they have 28 days to pay or court we will go :D

Wow I'm taking court procedings on my local VW garage as they wont fix the problem for free

Its costing me £250 for the rust and full repray, bill being sent direct to VW with a nice letter saying they have 28 days to pay or court we will go :D

I hope it won't come to that, but mine is blatantly a "manufacturing defect" so they shouldn't refuse it i don't think, but ill keep you posted!!!! :)

Any other tales to tell??

My local dealer (Willenhall Coachcraft) were no help either, but I had my Audi A3 sorted with a similar issue without argument. Our Lupo has been done by a local bodyshop.

I think the response from dealers varies a lot.

took mine to get replacement key last week and thought might as well mention whilst im their waiting to hear back hoping for the best as it is quite anoting and obvious fault

I've got the same problem. Going to take it to VW in the week to see what they say, fingers crossed they'll be ok about it!

i hope so mate, please let me know how you get on, id like to know if thats ok!!!!! lol

took mine to get replacement key last week and thought might as well mention whilst im their waiting to hear back hoping for the best as it is quite anoting and obvious fault

I know what you mean, mines right in my eye line on the drivers side and not even a little amount either, right the way along the edge, does my head in lol

Guest LupoJoe
i hope so mate, please let me know how you get on, id like to know if thats ok!!!!! lol

rang guilders vw in sheffield a few days ago and they said bring it in and well take some pictures, so i did and they took the pics to send off to vw, today i got a phone call, YES they'll do it for no charge, its going in on tuesday, itll take a week AND ill get a courtesy car :):):)

have to say, very impressed with this, my last few cars have all been peugeots and theres no way they would have treated the customer as well as vw have me

:lol:

i had mine done few months back, it was done at a main vw bodyshop 4 free, i had 2 have photos 1st then a paint depth 2 c if it had been painted before, it took bout 3-4 weeks 2 get done start 2 finish tho

Right, so i've been a bit busy over the past couple of weeks but i'm finally going to see about this in Thursday so I can update then. I really can't afford to be without my car for a week at the moment though :( but it needs sorting so let's just hope I can get the ok for this to be done for free!

Went into my dealer today and they are going to do it for FREE!!!!!!!!!!! and they are going to pick up the car from my house and drop me off the courtesy car aswell, unfortunatly its a Chevy Matiz...BOOOOOO hissss, im not even gunna drive it lol, but what a result!!!!! :):):)