EGR VALVE - WHERE?

Hi all.. looking to do a good service on my loop as its a high mileage TDI model.

Its started to get a bit smokey recently, so i am looking into cleaning out the EGR as im assuming it has coked up a fair bit. I had a similar problem with a tdci corsa, and a clean of the inlet and egr worked wonders. Although i am struggling to find the valve in my tiny engine bay. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Guest Lauryn

I dont have my car right now (or I'd take a pic), and I'm not sure if its the same as mines a sport, but its at the surface (ie no poking around!) and is close to the front bumper, if that makes sense?

On a TDI the egr valve is at the back of the engine, just under the anti shudder valve. The shiny round disc controls the egr valve, and the black thing directly to the right controls the anti shudder valve

P1010470-1.jpg

To clean it, you need to remove the black rubber pipe, hold the anti shudder valve open and look through and you will see a big deposit of carbon/sludge!

Another thing you can do remove the intake pipework just after the MAF sensor, and spray in some air intake cleaner whilst someone revs the engine (with the engine warmed up first!) This will clean the intake side of the turbo, intercooler, anti shudder, egr and intake manifold. Lots of black smoke will come out the exhaust as you do this!

Mine is the bit is the thing at the bottom middle/right (next to the silver thing, yes I'm thick and cant remember its name!)

Exhaust manifold heat sheild?

Your engine bay is so clean compared to mine :blush: