TDI GTI 1.4SPORT GEARBOX

Are all these gearboxes the same? im in need of a box apparently for my car (makes a hell of a noise) and cant seem to find a 1.4 TDI box for my car. I have done a search on here and came up with this

''I remember hearing once the both Sports (16v and TDi) use the same gearbox as the 5 speed GTi so I'm assuming that they are different from other models, i.e. standard 1.4 and 1.7sdi.''

Can anyone confirm that i can use a 1.4 sport or gti box on my TDI?

Edited by asylumaudio

They are all different.

TDI and GTI boxes are hydraulic, Sport box is cable operated.

So if you want to use a Sport box you would need quite the conversion.

GTI 5 speed box has really long ratio's and so would not prove suitable for your TDI as it would kill your fuel economy, 6 speed would deem suitable but you would need to convert other parts again proving costly.

Polo GTI box is cable operated and out of the question.

Not sure about the Polo TDI box.

The TDI and 16v gearboxes have different ratios, plus the 16v boxes are made of chocolate and I doubt it would last 5 mins in a TDi.

If you were to fit 16v or GTI box on the TDI then it would give it a top speed of about 80mph! The 16V does circa 4k rpm at 70, and the TDi redlines at 4.5k...

How about a Polo Bluemotion gearbox, that would give it nice long ratios, good for fuel consumption!

ah, cheers for the info. Migt just buy the bearing replacement kit and get it fitted then. Think the clutch people either dropped my box or caught the shaft funny when fitting it as it didnt go in with the noises it has now, just impossible to prove