What MPG do you get?

Alex_225

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither are Lupo's but both VAG so thought I'd add my tu'peneth, at last check our 1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cab did 32mpg on a full tank, and our family smoker 2009 A3 TDIe Sport returned us 62mpg !!!

Edited by nicgun

Yeah, 15-20 Mpg is not good...

I got 39.4 Mpg out of my last tank, 95 miles to the first 1/4 :D

and then it just got worse and worse, around town etc

Usually average 32 - 34 Mpg with a not so light foot :rolleyes:

Mark

:wacko:

Since when was 15mpg from a 75bhp Lupo good?

That's me being sarcastic and crying inside .... With my 50bhp Lupo ;)

It's pissing me off to the point where I am considering selling my ATSs (and even the fackin' car now grr)

Edited by DarkStryder360

There are certainly little ways of getting better MPG.

For example if you avoid coasting and stay in gear as you slow down you won't be using any petrol at all. Where as if its in neutral it'll be using fuel to keep it idling. Managed to show 99.9mpg on the missus Megane's trip computer by just rolling at about 35ish down a long incline.

It does sound like I should be getting 40mpg out of my Sport though so I'm going to keep an eye on that this week. :)

A car with an MPG computer will show 999.9mpg when letting it coast for a while, just means its using no fuel as you said before, staying in gear is more economical when easing off, however putting it into netural you can go a lot longer coasting, yes its using a tiny bit of fuel, but i wonder if its worth coasting for longer in neutral or coasting less in gear :confused:

My 1.0 does 38-40MPG around town, varying between town and motorway driving usually sees it around 44MPG. I recently got 53MPG over 100 miles, just sat at 60mph on the motorway - really boring but it can be done!

I wouldnt say the 1.0 is any more economicaql than the Sport really, as it needs a good working to get it going. If you get 50MPG on average from your 1.0s/sports i would hate to be traveling behind you :lol:

My TDi would average out about 55MPG, although i had got a few 47/8 tanks with highly spirited driving.

• 2 years later...

Just to add an Update to this thread.

My car is a Seat Arosa TDI Sport.

I normally fill up as soon as the light comes on, and fill it with 27 litres of Diesel. I normally manage 340-350miles between fill ups which gives me an average of 60mpg.

However yesterday I was going on a long journey to Leeds and back and did the same as usual, filled it to the brim (27 litres) and managed to get 420miles driving at 60mph most of the way there, averaging an awesome 68mpg.

Very happy with my little TDi :D

The furthest I've driven on a tank in my bog-standard SDi is 670.9 miles, but I could have probably kept going for another 15 miles as the fuel light had only been on for about five miles at that point.

And the best I've ever had (but only over a distance of just under 200 miles) is 81mpg.

Usually though, going to and from work, I see 520-550 miles from a tank, so it's around 68mpg-75mpg :)

Combined with £30 annual road tax makes it cheap to run :shades:

She's barely run-in though - I'm about to see 134,000 miles click round - so maybe the fuel economy will improve as the miles go on ;)

I managed to get 46.8mpg out of my bog standard 1.0E, but i reckon i could get more!!!!! :P

My 1.0L is around the same 46-47mpg on an even spread of 60mph roads, 30-40mph roads and city centre stand still traffic. Happy tbh ;)

Usually though, going to and from work, I see 520-550 miles from a tank, so it's around 68mpg-75mpg :)

Thats fantastic - considering you could buy one for a couple of grand too. Its about as cheap as reliable motoring is going to get

The furthest I've driven on a tank in my bog-standard SDi is 670.9 miles, but I could have probably kept going for another 15 miles as the fuel light had only been on for about five miles at that point.

And the best I've ever had (but only over a distance of just under 200 miles) is 81mpg.

is the tank size different on the sdi or something? i have a 1.4 tdi and could maybe get it to 400 miles to a tank.

No, all Lupo tanks are the same size.

If you can't get 400 miles out of a tank in a TDI with careful driving something's up!

Sure I've had over 350 miles out of my GTI.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've had over 400 miles from a tank in my TDi (even averaging 60-65mpg). For some unknown reason, it's pretty much impossible to get in anywhere near the 34l of fuel the tank is supposed to hold. Even when I run it down to '0" on fuel gauge, and fill up using the expansion space, about 33 litres is the absolute most I've ever put in. 28L is my normal fillup and I always do at least 30 miles with the light on.

Compare this with the GTi which easily swallows 35l+ using expansion space without running it that low.

Other TDI's I've tested have been the same. My theory is the fuel gauge has a zero error, so that there is always more fuel in the tank than what the gauge indicates. In fact, when I first bought the TDI I stood and put in the same amount it took to fill my previous Lupo 1.4SE, only to see that it had spilled all over the floor. Diesel foot is not nice!

it's pretty much impossible to get in anywhere near the 34l of fuel the tank is supposed to hold. Even when I run it down to '0" on fuel gauge, and fill up using the expansion space, about 33 litres is the absolute most I've ever put in. 28L is my normal fillup and I always do at least 30 miles with the light on.

Compare this with the GTi which easily swallows 35l+ using expansion space without running it that low.

My Sport and GTI are exactly the same