1.4 100bhp or 1.4 tdi

dodgercannon

thanks for the reply.

Im not sure what I would perfer torque or revs. I have only driven petrol cars and when I want to go I use the whole rev range.

I want to put a full s/s exhaust system on it would the petrol be better for this?

What sort of performance mods could I do to the tdi other than remap?

ive driven both mate as i was also considering buying both. i drove a 1.4 sport first which i wasnt impressed at all with, seemed gutless. this made me consider the tdi. bearing in mind its only a 3 cylinder it has a nice wee punch of torque which chipped would be even better! even though it was a high miler dog it still pulled quite well.

i then test drove another 1.4 sport which was like night and day between the other sport id driven. i came to the conclusion the first sport id driven had been ragged sensless and there was something wrong with it. i went ahead and bought the second 1.4 sport i drove and am very happy with it.

so the best thing to do really is go and test drive both and make your own mind up, but make sure its a good healthy example and hasnt been thrashed silly!

Grant

I was considering both and test drove a couple of 1.4 sports, but ended up buying the first TDI I saw/drove (last weekend), it has recieved a custom remap and a few other tweeks and beats the petrol hands down for driveability, but does lack the revs, you just have to change your driving style.

That said economy was one of my main criteria and a remapped TDI with 110bhp and 180lbft torque is a real motoring bargain @£35/year tax and 60mpg which is what I averaged on a 250 mile run today.

I guess it depends what you want from the car, but for me TDI all the way.

The worst part about a sport for me, is the gearing, they love revs and sit high up in the rev range at motorway cruising speed. Really annoying to sit and listen to the drone of the engine on a long drive.

Im more for torque and hate high rev cars, so a TDi would be, and was my choice!

Im not sure, but going on gear ratios the sport would appear to have a very similar box, if not the same, as the 1.0 engine. Which is great for around town, being able to be in 5th at 25mph! However on the motorway that means your doing 4500rpm at 80, not thats a lot imo. I know they are made to do it, and i have no problems driving my 1.0 at such high revs. However its a pain for long journeys, really quite tyring noise wise and consumes loads of fuel. Its much happier at 60mph.

So for that reason alone its worth getting the TDi, its such a cruiser, but its free reving for a diesel, loads of torque and its economy and price of tax is great!

• 2 months later...

Hi all I ended up with a Tdi but in for repair at the moment tho as I was told it needed a new thrust bearing but when I got to the garage I got the mechanic to take it out for a drive as I was having problems with third gear, he explained that it was the syncro in the box not lining up. So for a job that was going to cost 180 has turned in To one that is going to cost over 600 quid to have my gear box reconditioned.

Any way the car looks mint and should drive good when it's back from repair