Supercharger Noise :s / Also guide?

asylumaudio

My lupo sounds as if it has a supercharger fitted.. but i cant seem to find it hidden in the engine bay lol...

The noise gets louder with the revs of the engine. I thought at first it could have been a camelt tensioner, so i had a new cambelt kit fitted by a garage, but it didnt solve the noise. I am in need of a clutch, so was doing a search on gearboxes and i came back with a worrying problem with regards to a main bearing in the box that could be wining. Im not sure if this could be my problem as the car does it out of gear idling, and when revving out of gear stationary. The only other thing i can think of is i have noisey alternator bearing, or the tensioner on that belt system. I know its not a clutch release bearing noise as it doesnt disappear when i put the cluch pedal down....

Has anyone had a similar problem, or have an idear what it could be... its annoying as its really loud lol.

Secondly, can anyone give me a quick rough guide on changing the clutch in a lupo? Im upto about 3-4 spanners in the haynes manual lol... :P

Finally forgot to add my car is a 2000 (x plate) high mileage 1.4 S (100bhp) model.

my guess is the power steering pump has collapsed and shed all its oil the noise your hearing is the bearings stressing and grinding against each other seen this a few times on lupos oh and yes the steering will still work and fell fine but it wont last

Edited by dubsy

Its nothing to do with the cd player, or poor earthing causing interferance. The noise is from the drivers side of the engine, not the gearbox side... I went a bit crazy with some lithium grease on the pullys and its quietened down a fair bit. Think it could possibly be down to the tensioner on the aux belt but not 100% sure...

If it was the gearbox, would it do it on idle without any gears selected or even the clutch down?

Its nothing to do with the cd player, or poor earthing causing interferance. The noise is from the drivers side of the engine, not the gearbox side... I went a bit crazy with some lithium grease on the pullys and its quietened down a fair bit. Think it could possibly be down to the tensioner on the aux belt but not 100% sure...

If it was the gearbox, would it do it on idle without any gears selected or even the clutch down?

did you have all the bearing replace?

how many miles?

Mine does a similar thing to this, but I've only just bought the car and don't know what to do now. :(

It's been serviced every year but 2007 so it can't be anything major, can it?

Edited by Figo077

Popped down to VW today, and they said it could be some transmission seal leak - won't take long to check and is noticeable from a very slight bit of weeping around the gearbox. I'm going to get a diagnostics check done to see if it picks up on anything, as my car's idling revs are all over the place too.

If it is this, then thank ****! Don't fancy having to sort out a new gearbox.