Cruise control

breamy

Does the GTi have a switch under the clutch, as per the TDi? As I think this is pretty important if you were to install Cruise Control

It hasn't been done because it's not just a 'plug and play' job, none of the wiring is in place, you have to make the wiring loom up yourself!

Yeah the clutch switch is one problem, along with the fact that no-one knows if a GTi ECU will support cruise (anyone ever tried to activate it??)

You would have to look a the wiring diagram for the switch in the TDi, and see if a switch could be wired up in the same way in a GTi.

planning to do a few trips this year and quite a few track days. first trip being in may and will post details on here when dates are decided. doing a trackday at cadwell which is quite good practice for the ring £120 open pitlane all day on feb 22nd if anyone interested

Simple answer..it cant be done :-). Im a vw tech and you cant do it to your standerd gti wiring loom, the ecu's dont support it :-)

They do, think its the same pins as on the TDi ecu from when i researched in to doing it. You use a stalk of a transporter T4 i think.

Edited by CasperGTI

• 6 months later...

What if I buy this to cut the loom up on... Or do you think it just has a link wire to join the stalk to the T4 loom?

link

Good news is GTI seems to have a clutch pedal switch as per the TDI!

Edited by 99hjhm

What if I buy this to cut the loom up on... Or do you think it just has a link wire to join the stalk to the T4 loom?

link

Good news is GTI seems to have a clutch pedal switch as per the TDI!

Bloody hell thats my picture!!!

That just comes with the link wire to go from the stalk to behind the dash.

AFAIK, there is no loom in existence whatsoever, i.e. you have to make it yourself or pay me to fit it ;)

Do switches need to be push to make no latching?? for a dummy loom.
I made up a test loom using two push-to-make switches I had lying around, as I wanted to confirm the cruise worked before I ordered the stalk. The loom needs four wires:

All the answers are in the How to :)

It took me ages to write it, so I would appreciate it if you actually took the time to read it thoroughly, and then ask questions. Thanks.

All the answers are in the How to :)

It took me ages to write it, so I would appreciate it if you actually took the time to read it thoroughly, and then ask questions. Thanks.

Don't worry...

I've read it again and then again....It says push to make switches, but not if they are latching or not... I would think not.

I've never driven a car with cruise.. So not 100% sure how it works.

Push to make (like a doorbell) and push to break (like a fridge door light switch) switches are never latching switches, so yeah use non latching switches for push to make.

The switched only need to make contact temporarily to set the cruise control. Holding them down will also increase or decrease the cars speed. If you used a latching switch then when you pressed it the throttle would go wide open and stay wide open, it would be like flooring the accelerator only you wouldn't be in control :o

OK then... Final thing, before I try next weekend....

please please please can I have a wiring diagram.... I can't see where I need to add the 12v to. Just text would be fine.

Edited by 99hjhm

Right....

Little update.

Been taking along look at the wiring diagrams for the GTI and TDI, seems the ECU pin functions are different. 14 on the GTI loom is to the lambda probe(pre cat) A TDI doesn't have this, and I cant see what the lambda sensor would have to do with the Cruise.

45 on the GTI loom is Acc pedal position sender... makes more sence.

I can't find either of these on the TDI diagram though. (no lambda to start with)

ELSA is very difficult to understand!

The GTI seems to have all the parts needed for cruise(minus stalk and loom)... So more research is needed.

Edited by 99hjhm