car garages - vw etc - with modified cars

malibukid

hi,

has anyone on here ever traded in a car thats been modified?

do the dealers even bother?

car in question is my mk5 golf tdi : http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47862

just testing the water before i speak to vw and a few other people about a trade in..

thanks

Edited by malibukid

You'll get more for it if you sell it privately. Mods count for nothing with car dealerships. Back in 2006 I was quoted £1600 part ex for my Lupo, which had been quite heavily modified. I sold it privately for £2600.

He's right.

Under all that its still a MK5 GT TDI and they will give you what the book says, I would go private.

It looks great though! The only giveaway is the exhaust but i was never keen on the R32 exhaust. Only the noice it makes :wub:

It's a cracking car, but mods aren't worth a jot unless they're sold to the 'scene'. Your car has R32 wheels etc; it still needs the parts anyway (irrespective of trim level) and if you haven't got the parts to return the car to stock trim, it's going to cost someone the time and money to do it (unless of course your car was a special order from VW in the first place). The other problem is that the mods narrow the appeal to forecourt punters and may reduce the trade-in value of the car.

He's right.

Under all that its still a MK5 GT TDI and they will give you what the book says, I would go private.

It looks great though! The only giveaway is the exhaust but i was never keen on the R32 exhaust. Only the noice it makes :wub:

"He" - but I'm a she!!! lol!!!