Cutting out at roundabouts/junctions

Bit of a mystery - I get this once in a while since I bought Loop a year ago, becoming slightly more frequent now...

When I'm braking quite hard and usually turning for (say) a roundabout, the engine cuts out (battery light comes on), which means no power steering and weaker braking, which is pretty terrifying cutting across a roundabout!). This happens when the engine is warm too, so its not due to a cold engine or cold weather.

I was thinking of possibilities:

1) Is my 'idle' set too low, so cuts out when power steering and braking drain the battery? Its about 650rpm or so when warm (its a standard 1.4 16v Loop)

2) Is it the battery - other than this, I've had no battery problems and no major problems starting it, even in the cold weather we've had

3) Could it be the fuel filter getting clogged as gunk is thrown forward during braking?

4) Could it be the fuel pump being weak?

5) Power steering draining battery too much? Fluid level is fine.

6) Too many things draining the battery, e.g. lights, heater on a little etc

7) ...Loop doesn't like roundabouts???

Any thoughts gratefully received

Envy

I used to get this a bit, tried allsorts but what worked was some wynns petrol cleaner which pulls any moisture out of your petrol tank. Havn't had any problems since

Bit of a mystery - I get this once in a while since I bought Loop a year ago, becoming slightly more frequent now...

When I'm braking quite hard and usually turning for (say) a roundabout, the engine cuts out (battery light comes on), which means no power steering and weaker braking, which is pretty terrifying cutting across a roundabout!). This happens when the engine is warm too, so its not due to a cold engine or cold weather.

I was thinking of possibilities:

1) Is my 'idle' set too low, so cuts out when power steering and braking drain the battery? Its about 650rpm or so when warm (its a standard 1.4 16v Loop)

2) Is it the battery - other than this, I've had no battery problems and no major problems starting it, even in the cold weather we've had

3) Could it be the fuel filter getting clogged as gunk is thrown forward during braking?

4) Could it be the fuel pump being weak?

5) Power steering draining battery too much? Fluid level is fine.

6) Too many things draining the battery, e.g. lights, heater on a little etc

7) ...Loop doesn't like roundabouts???

Any thoughts gratefully received

Envy

You need to remove the Idle control Valve from the throttle body, it will be coked up with sticky soot. Then give it a good clean out with carb cleaner until it's all nice and shiney inside.

Job Done.

You need to remove the Idle control Valve from the throttle body, it will be coked up with sticky soot. Then give it a good clean out with carb cleaner until it's all nice and shiney inside.

Job Done.

Where abouts is the valve and is it easy to remove? Mine hunts and seeks when cold, usually oil/gak buildup in the throttle body, wouldn;t mind giving the valve a clean though.

My sport cut out whilst travelling across Rochester bridge at about 60mph (had my foot off the accelerator), turned out to be the breather pipe which had a bend in it, stopping it from err breathing :)

I also had a problem a few months back where my car cut out a few times battery light etc came on and it turned out to be the throttle body just needing a clean, my car ran much better afterwards as well...

Good luck!

Where abouts is the valve and is it easy to remove? Mine hunts and seeks when cold, usually oil/gak buildup in the throttle body, wouldn;t mind giving the valve a clean though.

The ICV will be very near the throttle body (bolted to it), it will be small, metal and most probably bolted on with 2 or 3 caphex head screws.

Cleaning this involves removing it and cleaning inside, a toothbrush will help here too. Cleaning the throttle body alone won't cure a sticky ICV for too long.

Never done it on the loop before, so I hope this helps.

Edited by L119 UPO

The ICV will be very near the throttle body (bolted to it), it will be small, metal and most probably bolted on with 2 or 3 caphex head screws.

Cleaning this involves removing it and cleaning inside, a toothbrush will help here too. Cleaning the throttle body alone won't cure a sticky ICV for too long.

Never done it on the loop before, so I hope this helps.

Cheers bud, might see if i can give this a go later today.