My car is making a noise like an owl???

hunid-brake

Hello,

My lupo 16v sport has recently started making a hooting noise like an owl? It will happen as I'm driving or when I'm stationary.I've just had all my discs and pads replaced but it doesn't sound like it coming from there.it's definately coming from the front and most likely under the bonnet.could it be cam belt or power steering pump???has anyone had this before??please help

ha ha im glad im amusing you all but seriously???? it happens at all speeds, i was gunning up the road and was approaching a corner but left it in 3rd high revs and eased off the gas to go round the corner an low an behold the owl says hello?? weird but kind of troubling??HELP please not animal based puns.thanks

Have you checked for owls?

HAHA it really does sound like an owl!

Reminds me of the fast show

Youtube Video ->

Basically what i am betting the problem is (providing its not an owl) is the radiator fan. What happens is the bearing on the radiator fan get dry.

Probably due to all the water and salt on the roads. The fan is not on all the time but when it spins up you hear a hooting like an owl it is more likley to

come on when your going slower as there is less air naturally cooling the radiator.

Its a simple fix just get some some thin spray oil and spray it into the fan motor. You may need to drench it, its quite hard to direct the

spray to ensure its got to the bearings. I used 3in1, not the best of ideas as the bottle is totally the wrong shape to direct the oil but

i was driving along and it suddenly hit me what it was so i poped the bonnet and 3in1 was all i had haha. My car is still pissing 3in1 from

the under tray where most of it missed the fan but it was super annoying.

ive no idea i cant pin point it. ill go for a drive today an see what i can figure out.ill let you know if i find an eagle owl in my wheel arch.lol

A common problem in an audi TT is the Diverter Valve giving up. When it does, it makes owl noises!! Obviously i dont think this is the problem for you though, unless you've got a turbo your not telling us about :P

I had a problem where my car sounded like a spaceship for a bit, Might have been the same noise.

What it was was; whoever changed the cambelt had overtightened something into the cylinder block and cross threaded it so the belt was rubbing against the cylinder block.

But that sound was directly related to the RPM, so if its consistent, it wont be that.

Edited by DAS HAPPIWAGEN

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is currently doing the whole 'owl' thing - although it only starts if I ramp up to 70mph ish, not happening at slower speeds/gears.

It sounds like something on the offside front wheel but could be under the bonnet.

Any more ideas on this, apart from possibly the fan?

• 1 month later...
Hello,

My lupo 16v sport has recently started making a hooting noise like an owl? It will happen as I'm driving or when I'm stationary.I've just had all my discs and pads replaced but it doesn't sound like it coming from there.it's definately coming from the front and most likely under the bonnet.could it be cam belt or power steering pump???has anyone had this before??please help

my loop sport does this but i just called it my pet. i couldnt figure it out but it comes on and off at any given time. i thought it could have been because i have taken the belly pan off but when i put it back on it still did it just not as often. im goin to lube up my fan tmoz and see if that helps.

Could be a breather hose on its way out. Mini cooper s' have the same problem. If u give them a lot of stick or come of the accelerator a bit quick the hose vibrates/hoots as its loose on its connection.

Could be a breather hose on its way out. Mini cooper s' have the same problem. If u give them a lot of stick or come of the accelerator a bit quick the hose vibrates/hoots as its loose on its connection.

that would be typical cos im having a lot of problems with that atm bloking up and oil consumption.

I reckon its tyres....ive just started working at a new place and on the top road of the sight i can hear hooting coming from the front of the car :lol:

its defo not the tyres as thats a constant sound this will come on and off at different places and times. thanks for suggestion tho

• 1 month later...

think im experiencing the same noise on my 03 sport. cant pin point where its coming from but it sounds like some sort of animal lol and it just comes on randomly. usually around 70ish tho??

if any body has this problem try spraying the bearings in the fan with a lubricant. be prepared for it to splash everywhere (if you add too much) once the fan starts up. it solved my problem for about a month but it has started to come back again. it seems to be that the bearings gets dry and when the wind catches the fan or the fan is on it "hoots".

Edited by billstein9

A mate of mine had this problem once

It was a right hoot

ROFL!! I think you will find that if you remove your panel filter you will find some young hatchlings!!!! If you do then that will probably be the cause of the owl noises..... long shot appreciated.