Lupo GTI or Clio 182?

Chris Dunderdale

i thought the clio interior was nice, or am i the only one?

Nope, quite like the interior on my 182 (occasional rattles though and I need Recaros out of the Trophy)

They're not expensive on fuel either. I regularly average 35mpg and can easily get into the 40's on a run.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having owned a Clio 172, I can quite happily say that the interior is not that bad. In fact I'd be confident in saying it felt as solid as my Lupo does.

Just make sure you don't go for the Cup version and you'll get leather, xenons, climate control etc where as the Cup is more basic but designed just to be driven.

If you want a rare car, thats fun, pretty quick but IMO quote over priced then go for the Lupo GTi. Don't get me wrong I love em.

But the Clio 172/182 has the same level of features, more power, I'd imagine as good handling if not better and is basically a lot more car for the money.

If its a toss up between build quality, you won't be that disappointed if at all. Anyone who just uses the words '..it's French' to sum up any point, probably hasn't owned or driven a RenaultSport model.

I've had both 172 cup and a clio trophy! The trophy was my favorite with the recaro's and the sach suspension but its more due to the fact that the 172 kept braking but to be honest they are both french so they are cheap! Really really common aswell!

I've got a an impreza at the min but im going to look at a gti tomorrow! I miss my small nippy hatches!

Believe it or not the 172 is actually quicker than the 182 (parkers doesnt lie and i did check this before posting) (alot more unnecessary weight in the 182) because the 172 was designed to be driven properly whereas they refined it for the 182 to make for a comfier, easier drive.

Believe it or not the 172 is actually quicker than the 182 (parkers doesnt lie and i did check this before posting) (alot more unnecessary weight in the 182) because the 172 was designed to be driven properly whereas they refined it for the 182 to make for a comfier, easier drive.

You're splitting hairs here but you are quite correct. Good luck in finding an unabused 172 though!!

I thought it would be about 25 to 30 when driven hard and easily 30+ with a light foot.

not a chance!!

i have an s2000, so similar engine to the type r, and best i can get with a light foot is 27-28mpg which seems about average on the s2000 forum.

i average about 22mpg if i'm being fairly good. well below that if i'm spanking it.

I've had both 172 cup and a clio trophy! The trophy was my favorite with the recaro's and the sach suspension but its more due to the fact that the 172 kept braking but to be honest they are both french so they are cheap! Really really common aswell!

I've got a an impreza at the min but im going to look at a gti tomorrow! I miss my small nippy hatches!

Oooo i look forward to seeing it Ian

I'm assuming its you? You whore :lol:

btw , we saw you in the metro the other day (boxing day) but didn't realise til you'd gone past- we weren't being rude B)

Oooo i look forward to seeing it Ian

I'm assuming its you? You whore :lol:

btw , we saw you in the metro the other day (boxing day) but didn't realise til you'd gone past- we weren't being rude B)

Its me anna yeah! I went to see a blue gti but it was a scratched and scraped. Gonna keep looking!

yeah yeah mrs ignornant! haha i kinda guessed you never saw us!

Good christmas?

not a chance!!

i have an s2000, so similar engine to the type r, and best i can get with a light foot is 27-28mpg which seems about average on the s2000 forum.

i average about 22mpg if i'm being fairly good. well below that if i'm spanking it.

182s are surprisingly economical, having owned a 172 and driven 182 regularly you'll get 30mpg+ out of it. If you drive at 6,000 revs all the time you'll get 25mpg. Normally day to day you'll get 32mpg, that by driving normally everywhere. You'll get 40mpg if you sit at a steady 70 on the motorway.

I put it down to the car being so light and has enough torque to not be revved beyond 4k day to day. :D

i was considering a 182 but everyone and there dog has a clio!

Im looking for a gti now because i want something a little different something with character something that ppl who know about cars will look at and think "ooo a lupo gti" lol .... clios are just bleh

plus i have a clio atm and its been leaking on me for the last year so im never gonna buy french again :)

not a chance!!

Yuhuh my brother has a type r and the car is lovely, not had 1 problem with it really but not had it long so i guess that doesn't count,

also i seem to see many more clios around these days (cup models, 172s, 182s and the like) and they just dont do nothing for me

and for the clio at 6,000rpm the type r is much nicer at 8,000rpm *cough* with and expensive bit of kit (spoon sports exhaust) the sound is mega at top end, but remaining nice and quiet at low revs :)

i'd go for the gti over the clio

i'd go for a nice type r over a gti

but thats just me :)

(unless its a really nice gti in which case no contest)

Lupo GTI - 130 bhp/ton

Renault Clio 182 - 170 bhp/ton

Been in and driven both and (as the stats above suggest) the 182 is the quickest. No contest.

I prefer the looks , build and rarity of the Lupo but you can't really compare the two.

They are in different leagues. The Lupo is a cheap and cheerful 1.6 Supermini but the Clio is more of a driver's tool and in hot-hatch territory.

Depends on what you want though; the Clio comes at a higher price (insurance, maintenance, tax and so on!)

I'd have the Clio tbh. It's in another league when it comes to performance.

Lupo GTi is a lovely car, they have a quite a special feeling when you're inside one, but a nice Clio 182, slammed on nice motorsport style wheels... dunno if I could take the Lupo over one.

The way VW build cars nowadays I wouldn't have problem buying a Renault, I doubt the quality is much different.

The build quality of my old 172 was almost identical to my Lupo Sport, not sure how different the Sport is to the GTi but can't think it'll be much different.

All the comments of Renault build quality don't always ring true, both mine and the missus Meganes are good sturdy cars with no rattles, doors give a nice clunk when you close them and generally feels good.

Also not to forget to that Renaultsport models are made separately to other Renaults, in their own factory.

I know the 182s aren't that rare but there are certain colours which are. For example these are the 182 'full fat' sales figures for these colours -

Liquid yellow - 73 sold

Inferno - 148 sold

Petrol Blue - 29 sold

Racing Blue - 433

Nice car but this would make me wary (very): -

This car has been well looked after with any faults sorted straight away. It has no knocks or hidden faults, like so many Clios out there, and is ready to go to a new home!

The advert - "remember when you said you'd never buy a Renault" - has just been on and I'm afraid that's one thing I'm sticking by. My parents bought a Laguna in '96 for £14k and traded it in for £4k two years later - I know the Renaultsports are brilliant to drive but depreciation, reliability and build quality raise big questions. I'd only buy German, Japanese, or, if it came to it, Ford.

Edited by Fow Vay