Lupo GTI or Clio 182?

Chris Dunderdale

Ok, I know this is a Lupo forum, so answers will be coloured by that but... what are the good and bad sides of these cars? I've driven a clio, (not the 182 mind) and really liked it. Never driven a GTI, but always liked the look of them. My heart is saying GTI, just cos they are rare and interesting. But for the same money about (5K) you can get a 04 plate 182 (as apposed to a 02 plate Lupo). Is the Lupo really worth the extra?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If both are standard a 182 is probably going to be similarly priced and a more rewarding drive, down a country lane it would leave a gti for dust.

But the gti is well made-ish, has a-lot of character and once on coilovers is very good fun. Depends what you want from a car the gti is never going to be epicly fast without major engine work, but is fast and fun enough to be a good all-rounder without breaking your wallet.

I bought a type-r after my sport and really missed the lupo as it was such a nice drive and although it didn't have straight line speed it could demolish most things round the bends. :coffee:

Performance wise, the 182 will leave the GTI a clean pair of heels in every scenario.

I was considering one, but in the end I got the GTI as it has much more character, and just as much fun. Not to mention the superior build quality.

Might get a 182 for the missus though, but then she would hava a faster car than me!

I went throught the same scenario 4 years ago between a gti and a 172 cup. I still have the gti now ;)

Aluminium bonnet, wings, doors, flared arches and sills, xenons, 6 speed box, the list goes on. The gti has so many nice little quirks, that it stands out from the rest. Maybe not in performance, but it wins hands down at everything else.

I like the Clio, particularly in powder blue or black. The list price of the Clio (although I appreciate no-one ever pays list price for a Renault) at the time was more than that of the Lupo, which says something for the respective depreciation rates of the cars. Unfortunately, the numbers available on the second-hand market and the fact that they're now available at very accessible prices means the Clio has become something of a chav chariot. I agree with just about every comment on this thread so far.

I'm currently looking for a lupo after i sell my glanza, which is very soon i hope!

I've driven my mates clio 182 which he had for 6 months. He then got rid of it as loads of things started to go wrong. You have the speed but not the build quality i'm afraid, very fast dont get me wrong with nice seats but i know i'd rather get a lupo. He bought it for 6k, 6 months later he couldnt sell it and in the end it sold for £3200, so he lost a lot of money on it.

Thats why ive had toyotas for a few good years now as like v dub the build quality is second to none.

I'm currently looking for a lupo after i sell my glanza, which is very soon i hope!

I've driven my mates clio 182 which he had for 6 months. He then got rid of it as loads of things started to go wrong. You have the speed but not the build quality i'm afraid, very fast dont get me wrong with nice seats but i know i'd rather get a lupo. He bought it for 6k, 6 months later he couldnt sell it and in the end it sold for £3200, so he lost a lot of money on it.

Thats why ive had toyotas for a few good years now as like v dub the build quality is second to none.

I was after a Lupo GTi but baulked at paying £5k+ for an 02 model when I got an 05 182 for £6k. Yes, the build quality isn't quite there ( I came to the 182 from a mk4 Golf which didn't really impress me), and it doesn't take a lot to make them look shabby. But for performance per £, not much will touch a 182 (easily get one for £5k now)

As for your mate only getting £3200 for his, either something was very wrong with it or it was seriously high miles! Dealers would have given him £4k for it!

Hmmm. it is a really difficult one. I know, the Clio is def becoming a chavy car, like the scooby did a few years ago. Nobody would buy one of those now, would they?! Is this what will happen to the Clio?

And the Lupo does have all the appeal of being rare. Its just the price. Its hard to justify it when the clio is regarded as one of the best hot hatches of all time, and the lupo, well, isnt...!

But I suppose they are in different markets. Cars like the twingo and the Fait 500 are the new Lupos.

Decisions, decisions!

Its swings and roundabouts really. The Lupo is rarer and better quality but not as quick as the Clio. I think you get a lot more car for your money with the Clio. For me it boils down to that horrible typical French interior build quality, if you can put up with it then go Clio. If you can't, go with the Lupo. I fore one can't stand horrible interiors, its where you spend all your time so it should be a nice place to be!

Having owned a Clio I can say the Lupo wins hands down.

The 182 is faster, has more toys and is cheaper to buy, but the Lupo is so much better built, cheaper to run and the rare factor just gives that extra positive over the Clio.

If you want a fast car go for the Clio. If you want something different and stylish but still quite quick go for the Lupo.

I was after a Lupo GTi but baulked at paying £5k+ for an 02 model when I got an 05 182 for £6k. Yes, the build quality isn't quite there ( I came to the 182 from a mk4 Golf which didn't really impress me), and it doesn't take a lot to make them look shabby. But for performance per £, not much will touch a 182 (easily get one for £5k now)

As for your mate only getting £3200 for his, either something was very wrong with it or it was seriously high miles! Dealers would have given him £4k for it!

Yeah there was loads of stuff wrong with it, fair enough he drove it hard at times but arent "fast" cars meant to be able to cope with this? Its the typical stereo type of what people think of french cars, build qulaity is ****e. There was nothing wrong with it when he bought it may i add, and the mileage was 60k i think.

Anyway the point i was making is for me being in both would/WILL choose the lupo anyday.

Like you rightly say you can spend 5-6k and get a clio which i could afford, however due to running costs i know it would be a drain on my wallet. So thats why i'm personally choosing a lupo gti, as there more economical and i personally like the rare factor and look of the car, especially when its on its arse :shades:

Seeing as all the posts slating 182's are about build quality.

How about an s3 or civic type-r both can be had for around 6K and are very capable cars, also built well. Just cost a small fortune to run.

A mate in work has a '54 Tyre-R - he's had it three years and does a 40-mile round trip commute five days a week - never had the slightest problem with it and he says the running costs are very reasonable (he previously had a 206 GTi which always had something going wrong with it - he vowed he would never touch another French car after he got shot of it and it's put me off too) - the original Type-R is a cracking car with bomb-proof reliability - I'd have it over all other hot hatches any day.

A mate in work has a '54 Tyre-R - he's had it three years and does a 40-mile round trip commute five days a week - never had the slightest problem with it and he says the running costs are very reasonable (he previously had a 206 GTi which always had something going wrong with it - he vowed he would never touch another French car after he got shot of it and it's put me off too) - the original Type-R is a cracking car with bomb-proof reliability - I'd have it over all other hot hatches any day.

Loved mine when I got it for the power, then got bored of the edgy handling, getting used to it and liking it a-lot. But my mpg is awful about 20 round Bristol and then when its clear I make the most of it so im averaging less than that. Fixed a slight oil leak from the rocker cover cost me £50 for seals, needed new rear discs and pads £125, 4 tyres £350 and £210 for tax.

Its ruining me slowly :lol:

Loved mine when I got it for the power, then got bored of the edgy handling, getting used to it and liking it a-lot. But my mpg is awful about 20 round Bristol and then when its clear I make the most of it so im averaging less than that. Fixed a slight oil leak from the rocker cover cost me £50 for seals, needed new rear discs and pads £125, 4 tyres £350 and £210 for tax.

Its ruining me slowly :lol:

Nothing too bad in there - I paid £230 for two tyres for the Lupo!! Must admit I'm surprised at the mpg though.