Exhaust Emission Warning Lamp

Hi there! Looking for some help with my Lupo please

Had a service a few weeks ago on my Lupo 1.4S Auto, 02, 26,000 Miles. The only problem I asked the garage to look at was the 'Exhaust Emmision warning lamp' was always on and occasionally the 'EPC' warning light. They diagnosed a fault with the MAP sensor and replaced it. This did not solve the problem so 2 weeks later they replaced the MAP sensor again, told me it was quite usual to find this sensor was faulty. But again! the warning lights are still on

Can anyone suggest what I should do next. If there is no problem with the car, I cannot believe that all 3 MAP sensors are faulty. The garage was 'Nationwide Auto Centre' so I am not sure if I should ask for my money back and take the car to a VW dealer for a proper diagnosis

I would be grateful for help anyone can give me

Gozy

Edited by Gozy

i have the same problem i just ignore it now, try and get the error code, but it could be a few things like lambda sensors or fuel temp sensor, ive also been told that if you have a non genuine cat fitted this can throw the light up.

• 5 months later...

this is exactly what happend to my arosa 16v, i took it to seat for a proper diagnosis and it came up break light switch and engine temp sensor, they replaced both and EPC as gone but Emissions light has come back on agian, so i took it back to seat and they did another diagnosis and this time they said it was a wireing fault that goes all through gearbox and cams and that they would need to have the car for two days, i didnt believe this however as it would have come up on the first test if it was a real problem surely? i think it may be lambda sensor but can they cause the car to throw up false codes?

First of all does your car have a EGR Valve?

If it does I bet the EGR Valve pipe is blocked! the pipe is located in the inlet manifold and can easily be seen if the throttle body removed from the manifold!

They clog up because the crank case breather recirculates back into the inlet manifold and it tends to draw up some oil with it which tends to block the pipe!

This happened on my Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v 100bhp, your lupo is the same year its bound to have the same EGR valve set up!

The pipe will need cleaning out and the EGR Valve will need adapting via VAG COM and the fault code cleared!

Brilliant post VWR Lupo!

I'm having exactly the same problems with my Arosa 16v at the moment. Took it to a garage and got a diagnostics test done as both Engine Management and Exhaust Emissions lights were on. The fault came up as something to do with the brake lights and the EGR Valve. They cleared the lights but since then the Engine Management light has come back on.

I've got the MOT booked in for 14th July so was going to get the garage to have a look then, however i've been looking at new EGR Valve's from Euro Car Part's and they're £90!!!!

It must be the EGR Valve though as i've done abit of research and it says "You'll know if your EGR valve is stuck or malfunctioning because your car will experience symptoms like rough idle and bucking on accelertaion" - Which at the mo sounds exactly like my car :(

A quick explanation I found helpful :)

"The EGR valve, or Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, is a vacuum controlled valve which allows a specific amount of your exhaust back into the intake manifold. This exhaust mixes with the intake air and actually cools the combustion process. Cooler is always better inside your engine. The exhaust your EGR valve recirculates also prevents the formation of Nitrogen related gases. These are referred to as NOX emissions, and are a common cause for failing emissions testing. Unfortunately, your EGR valve can get stuck, causing NOX gases to build up."

Edited by Emz

Emz, before you buy a new EGR Valve get the pipe worked checked.

If thats blocked it will throw up a EGR Valve fault, I made the mistake of buying a new EGR Valve when I really did not need one!!!!

It will take a good garage 5 minutes to clean that pipe out as its only the tip of the pipe that gets blocked, I can even clean the pipe for you but I do not have VAG COM to clear the fault code!

Yeah my friends gonna help check it with me soon so hopefully it is just blocked and we'll be able to clear it, if not will just have to buy a new one I guess?

You shouldnt need to take it off, you can spray some sort of cleaner into the filter and it pulls it through and clears it. My local garage charged me £20 for it and then told that was all they did (easy £20 for holding a spray can button down!)...hasnt the light hasnt came back on since.

You shouldnt need to take it off, you can spray some sort of cleaner into the filter and it pulls it through and clears it. My local garage charged me £20 for it and then told that was all they did (easy £20 for holding a spray can button down!)...hasnt the light hasnt came back on since.

I wouldn't use any kind of spray cleaner through the air filter. You'll be better to remove the airbox and to spray it directly into the Throttle body than soak the airfilter in crap that's not going to do anything.

also - You'll probably find most garages charge by the hour or half hour. not by the spray can button press.

• 1 month later...
Brilliant post VWR Lupo!

I'm having exactly the same problems with my Arosa 16v at the moment. Took it to a garage and got a diagnostics test done as both Engine Management and Exhaust Emissions lights were on. The fault came up as something to do with the brake lights and the EGR Valve. They cleared the lights but since then the Engine Management light has come back on.

I've got the MOT booked in for 14th July so was going to get the garage to have a look then, however i've been looking at new EGR Valve's from Euro Car Part's and they're £90!!!!

It must be the EGR Valve though as i've done abit of research and it says "You'll know if your EGR valve is stuck or malfunctioning because your car will experience symptoms like rough idle and bucking on accelertaion" - Which at the mo sounds exactly like my car :(

A quick explanation I found helpful :)

"The EGR valve, or Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, is a vacuum controlled valve which allows a specific amount of your exhaust back into the intake manifold. This exhaust mixes with the intake air and actually cools the combustion process. Cooler is always better inside your engine. The exhaust your EGR valve recirculates also prevents the formation of Nitrogen related gases. These are referred to as NOX emissions, and are a common cause for failing emissions testing. Unfortunately, your EGR valve can get stuck, causing NOX gases to build up."

Emz have you tried replacing your brake light switch underneith the brake pedal?, this solved the problem with my arosa 16v when my EPC light was on...

• 8 months later...