Engine swaps

treblet

I have a whole mk2 driver which is running fine but I was wanting to put a 2.0 8v or 16v from a mk3 into it.

What are the rules on engine swaps, whats the process and for notification who do I have to notify other than my insurance?

That was all you used to do, Insurance and log book but my mate has just put a 20vt in a MK1 and he said he heard that you might need to do a test of somesort. Will find out more info from him.

Allegedly the old Mk4 Polo VR6 that Venom built needed one but I think that's BS.

The only cars I can think of that need SVAs are certain imports and hot rods/kit cars. For any basic engine swap you won't need one.

Right when you put a bigger engine in the car and the engine come from another car the same, the dvla dont mind that all they require is either a letter stating where you got the engine from and who carried out the work etc,

All i did when i told them i put a 1.8 16v Kr in my 1.3 match Mk2 was wrote a letter stating where i bought the gti 16v from with engine number and that i fitted the engine my self, they were happy with this providing i paid the £100 VED this was done at my local office,

They do not require to inspect the vechile as your putting a bigger engine in, (thus giving them more VED) problems arise when you convert it back to the small one, it then requires a engineers report as your taking money from them if you know what i mean.

If you put an engine from a different vechile and have to mod and structual componets such as engine mounts, suspension tunnels ETC then you will require a SVA. No arguing there.

so if the engine is from another mk2 you will be ok,

i did the conversion on my mk2 mate if you want any help just drop me a pm

Edited by Gazza

cheers for that mate, you've cleared a lot up there... i might go for a different engine then, because I cant be arsed with an SVA.

It would be a kr conversion in that case, unless a 2.0 block will fit without any engine mount mods?

a KR has that weird three bolt rear mount.

a 2.0 8v will go in no problem, you won't have to change the clutch or thegear change bit so it's all good there.

if you use a 2E & you're good with wiring you can do it without changing the loom, just needs a few key components from the fuse box.

a later model AGG uses an immobiliser.

if it's a 1.6 it'll be non injection which is handy for carbs.

if you run proper carbs you will need a lifter pump and fuel pump to supply the amount of fuel they require ALSO they are VERY difficult to set up and you will require a CO2 meter ETC

kjet tronic is easy to setup also easy to take of once you happy with the engine etc, also carbs are SUPER exspensive and always need fiddling with

Its only going to be a play thing really so i'm not too worried about having to set up and fiddle with things constantly,

I'm planning on using bike carbs really as its loads cheaper and a bit easier to set up, I'm not too keen on fitting a fuel injection system as theres more wires and more clutter in the engine bay