Summer Tyres

IDGM

All this ice and snow is playing havoc with my ability to get to work. Both our cars have the same Bridgestone Turanzas and they offer no grip in these conditions.

Does anyone actually have winter tyres on their car?

Just put paradas on the type-r :rolleyes:, I have found they work pretty well when icy or a bit slippery. But when theres so much water on the road normal tyres might aquaplane there just downright dangerous. :coffee:

My winter wheels are 8" wide and have 165/50 Nankangs on them. Loads of snow today too!

Winter tyres are for homo's!

Most people don't bother with winter tyres because we have pretty mild winters in England, usually not much need for them.

Edited by Philplop

My winter wheels are 8" wide and have 165/50 Nankangs on them. Loads of snow today too!

Winter wheels are for homo's!

Most people don't bother with winter tyres because we have pretty mild winters in England, usually not much need for them.

Hardcore drivers use the same set of wheels 24/7/365 no matter what!

I know what you mean though. The tread on my tyres is totally devoid of any grip to bite into the slushy ice and seeing other cars cruise past is really annoying. Damn SEAT & Ford to hell!!!

I've got Continental Premiumcontacts on mine and today I found them to be great in wet slush! Not so good in thick snow though.

I don't know anyone who has winter tyres. I just chose some summer tyres that scored well under wet conditions.

We do not need winter tyres in the UK, we do not have weather bad enough to need them. Just learn to drive to the conditions and concentrate more. I have two cars and both are rwd, they both slither around and one of them has wide soft compound "summer biased" tyres and it is still ok if I take it sensibly.

I will accept there are some exceptions to my above statement such as the Exige with A048R tyres and the M3 CSL on it's cup tyres but there are owners of these cars that use these tyres all year around, they just take it easy in snow and when there is lots of standing water.

Just learn to drive to the conditions and concentrate more.

The problem I have is to do with the tyres on the car not having any cross tyre tread to bite into the snow rather than my (dare I say it) 20+ years of driving experience in all sorts of weather. I have managed to drive in snow pretty effectively today on 255/35/19s in a BMW, but my Fez and Ibiza are hopeless on the Turanzas. I'll be looking at the next set of tyres with an eye to this type of weather.

Mercifully, the rain has washed it away now, so normal service is resumed. Phew.