Definitive Coilover Thread

heartagram

• 7 months later...

According to KW they will. I bought a new set for a GTI from DP performance. They sent the non-GTI ones.

I called KW for a pick up\replacement and they said they were identical, so there was no need.

I asked why they bothered marking the boxes differently and got back in touch with DP Performance. They dealt with it and I had the correct marked ones within the week.

I think the GTI has a slightly different bottom mount on the front struts to take in the wider track.

You can fit them and elongate the top hole like Ray says to allow the camber to be set correctly.

The reason they are different if because the GTI ones have a deeper bracket to accommodate the wider track of the GTI. If you fit non-GTI coilovers and elongate the hole, the strut will be further angled away from vertical.

This is a non-GTI Wietec coilover strut, compared with a standard GTI damper:

Image0121_zpsd275cd50.jpg

• Like 1

Got them fitted today! Fit an absolute treat, good job I bought camber bolts though because I had to put some camber on to stop my tyres being eaten by my arches, no need to elongate holes they fit straight on and go stupid low for anyone interested, thanks for the help guys

• 9 months later...

For anyone wanting crazy cheap coilovers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TA-TECHNIX-PREMIUM-COILOVER-EVOGWVW06-VW-LUPO-SEAT-AROSA-/281604985348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4190f71204

Wow. They'll be a bit gash handling wise, but the price cannot be beaten.

How much would these KW V1's be now? I can't seem to find any for less than £750.

...about right I think. I got a special deal last year for £630-ish. Phone around and ask.

...about right I think. I got a special deal last year for £630-ish. Phone around and ask.

£630 is the cheapest I've ever seen them. Very good deal.

• 2 months later...

Just read the entire thread.

I'm looking to sort my GTI beucasue the handling is vague as hell. I think its on the original dampers/springs, so am not surprised.

Trouble is I can't justify spending 600+ on a setup for a car that hardly gets used.

The AP kit seems's attractive, but the fact that they seem to rust like hell is a bit of a worry. In the same vein, I see that AP do some none adjustable kits, that are presumably also OK... does anybody have experience with those?

My GTI has KW V2's on it (admittedly bought second hand) and I think I have done 5000 miles in the last 2 years. Will be even less now as it's currently sorn'd. If it helps, the KW's will always be worth something second hand, and yours would still be in good condition if you ever decided to sell the car in the future.

just for reference the ST-X coilovers made which are also made by the KW automotive group are basically the KW V1's without the stainless steel bodies. The AP ones (Also KW group) use the same bodies but with not quite as good internals hence being a bit cheaper than the ST-X ones. That being said they still give a pretty decent ride for just under £350..

If you do go up to the £600 mark then there is another coilover brand which I am actually thinking of putting on one of my GTi's as all the feedback we've had has been positive. The BC Racing coilovers are monotube which are a bit stronger, control body roll a bit better and have a better high speed bump response than the twin tube dampers used by most other companies including KW. they are bump and rebound adjustable which you don't see at this price range often. The other main difference between these and any other coilover is that the ride height is adjusted by moving the damper up and down in the strut housing rather than through adjusting the spring platform - this means that you get the ride height you want without affecting the preload on the damper (I am really suprised no one else does this).
bc-racing-vw-lupo-vn-h-09-pic2.jpg

• Like 1

The other thing I've considered is how these 600 quid setups compare to a B12 kit (which I believe includes the pro kit springs)?

In my case I don't especially want to lower the car. A little bit might be OK, but given the quality of the roads where I live - 20mm or so would probably be the most I'd attempt.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Its would have been good from the start if people ha also said,  how much they had lowered the car with the kit they are talking about and what size wheel and tyre combo they were using (possible wheel weight too) and if they had also fitted strut braces , anti roll bars ,uprated bushings etc

For example if you are running a coil over set up lowered 60mm all round with 15" wheels and low profile tyres it may behave very differently to the same coil overs  lowered 30mm on stock 13" steel wheels and high profile tyres.  

• 11 months later...

This can't be the right price... https://www.fk-shop.de/en/Tuning/Suspension-Tuning/Coilovers/Coilover-AK-Street-VW-Lupo-3L-Typ-6E-Yr-1999-2005.html

£145 for coilovers is a steal if they're the right ones, anyone got any input on this one?

2 hours ago, ShinSkin said:

This can't be the right price... https://www.fk-shop.de/en/Tuning/Suspension-Tuning/Coilovers/Coilover-AK-Street-VW-Lupo-3L-Typ-6E-Yr-1999-2005.html

£145 for coilovers is a steal if they're the right ones, anyone got any input on this one?

I have them. They're actually not too bad and for the price, you really can't complain.

I got them from Venom Motorsports around 2/3 years ago for around the same price and they're fine. It should be noted I have changed the springs on the rear for slightly lower custom units and removed the adjuster collar, as the original FK springs were very bouncy!